Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Apr 2013, 05:17 (Ref:3230697)   #26
Sequel
Racer

Sequel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
5L open wheelers would be great, but they can hardly replace F3. Are the kids going to do a season in a Duratec FFord with no grip and no power and then start racing FAusV8? Unlikely, there will still need to be a level in between.

The problem is that currently there isn't enough money going around. No open wheel category short of F1 can provide ROI based on stickers on side pods. Touring cars have a lot of space to sell. Junior open wheel racing the world over relies on benefactors/investors as opposed to sponsors buying sticker space.

With 12+ cars for the opening 2 rounds, here is hoping that AF3 is on the comeback and will still be around in a few years ready to cash in on the next boom, I think it is a great category.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 05:38 (Ref:3230699)   #27
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a series that has ever appealed to me that much for many reasons.

The cars are glued to the road with aero and don't look fast even when pushing hard, they don't move around on the road like FFord, they're not the pinnacle of technology that is F1, they don't race frequently enough, they don't sound that great, the drivers are nobodies (for now), small grids, unknown teams, low-budget sponsors, and a general feeling of amateurness. TV coverage is also pretty terrible without any decent expert commentary.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 12:41 (Ref:3231470)   #28
rjco
Rookie

rjco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I note that the Toyota series in NZ are looking at upgrading the chassis with a more powerful engine within the next 2-3 years. Maybe if both Toyota in Aus and NZ got together they could develop at specification that would appeal to drivers and spectators, something around the 300hp mark. If they done this then a team could compete in the NZ summer series and there could be a series in Aus that way it is viable to the team owners as they could use cars in both series.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 23:57 (Ref:3231771)   #29
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Well there used to be a thread in the National & International Single Seaters subforum which would be more appropriate for this discussion..
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137210
Old 10 Apr 2013, 02:22 (Ref:3231796)   #30
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjco View Post
I note that the Toyota series in NZ are looking at upgrading the chassis with a more powerful engine within the next 2-3 years. Maybe if both Toyota in Aus and NZ got together they could develop at specification that would appeal to drivers and spectators, something around the 300hp mark. If they done this then a team could compete in the NZ summer series and there could be a series in Aus that way it is viable to the team owners as they could use cars in both series.
LOL. What a kick in the teeth to see Atlantics re-emerge half a world away.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 06:03 (Ref:3231832)   #31
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjco View Post
The current TRS cars have 180hp and lap at similar times (or faster) the the top GT1 and SuperTourer Times.

I've never liked the sound of the things since they went to E85 but to fair that is mostly the fault of the crappy MoTeC flatshift (ha ha - fingerslip - missed the 2nd 'f' out of flatshift which was more apt)
Plenty of popping and banging on the gearchanges is the way forward!

I think more than 250hp would be a bit silly. The step from a mechanical car (FF) to the wing car would be too big and secondly, they'd be too quick for the bulk of NZ tracks.

At first casual look, an F3 can look too planted, esp when the driver isn't good enough to drive it fast enough. When you know a little bit more, to see a good driver balancing the car on the knife edge of grip and reliant on the car being straight to provide the aero grip needed these are exciting cars.
I guess the trouble is that we never stop being small boys and getting excited about cars driven sideways.
Its fun to watch, its fun to do but it ain't fast...