Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Apr 2013, 05:28 (Ref:3240143)   #26
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Why did it stop?
It happened as i moved away from melbourne (i assume that wasnt the reason ) I'd heard it was something to do with bumpy track.

It just seemed to stop, all of a sudden
Competitors moving to Super Touring, GT Production and V8 Supercars took away a lot of the front runners, but more importantly it wasn't making any money and Rodney killed it off.
Old 28 Apr 2013, 05:45 (Ref:3240146)   #27
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Competitors moving to Super Touring, GT Production and V8 Supercars took away a lot of the front runners, but more importantly it wasn't making any money and Rodney killed it off.
shame. it was starting to die when i stopped going, but had some great times at the thunderdome. (tip in life its not a romantic place for a valentines date )
Old 28 Apr 2013, 06:49 (Ref:3240149)   #28
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was getting a roll on in the early 90s, and was looking very healthy through to the end of the 1994/95 series

However the loss of the SBS TV deal meant there was no TV for the 1995/96 series and the wheels really started falling off. There was big $$ prizemoney up for grabs but it slowly started to drop.

It was during the no-TV 1995/96 series that Valvoline moved their backing into the V8s, taking Garry Rogers Motorsport and John Sidney Racing with them. BJR also pulled out, John Faulkner took his sponsors to V8s as well....

They got delayed-TV coverage with Channel 10 for the next few seasons and while it started to pick up again in 1996/97 and the 1997/98 series, the forward progress was stopped, not helped when the re-named NASCARs the "AC Delco Cup Cars" and AUSCAR became "Strathfield Nationcal Cars"... they sponsors lasted barely 1 season before they pulled out and they reverted to NASCAR and AUSCAR.

It dropped off again during the 1998/99 series and a lacklustre start to the 1999/2000 series saw Bob pull the pin completely.... i don't think the track surface had anything to do with it stopping.

The last NASCAR event there would have been... perhaps early December 1999? Kim Jane winning the feature race.
Old 28 Apr 2013, 06:55 (Ref:3240151)   #29
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
It was getting a roll on in the early 90s, and was looking very healthy through to the end of the 1994/95 series

However the loss of the SBS TV deal meant there was no TV for the 1995/96 series and the wheels really started falling off. There was big $$ prizemoney up for grabs but it slowly started to drop.

It was during the no-TV 1995/96 series that Valvoline moved their backing into the V8s, taking Garry Rogers Motorsport and John Sidney Racing with them. BJR also pulled out, John Faulkner took his sponsors to V8s as well....

They got delayed-TV coverage with Channel 10 for the next few seasons and while it started to pick up again in 1996/97 and the 1997/98 series, the forward progress was stopped, not helped when the re-named NASCARs the "AC Delco Cup Cars" and AUSCAR became "Strathfield Nationcal Cars"... they sponsors lasted barely 1 season before they pulled out and they reverted to NASCAR and AUSCAR.

It dropped off again during the 1998/99 series and a lacklustre start to the 1999/2000 series saw Bob pull the pin completely.... i don't think the track surface had anything to do with it stopping.

The last NASCAR event there would have been... perhaps early December 1999? Kim Jane winning the feature race.
thanks for that. I left Melb in Jan 2000, thats why i dont remember it after that because it didn't happen. I went to most rounds prior to that.

I really struggled in the end to keep my friends coming, they just lost interest in the racing. I guess those final years were also the cross over to V8 Supercars so that would not have helped
Old 29 Apr 2013, 05:57 (Ref:3240419)   #30
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Why did it stop? It happened as i moved away from melbourne (i assume that wasnt the reason ) I'd heard it was something to do with bumpy track.
Bumpy track came after but promoter not paying the promised prize money was one reason so many people were happy to move on...
Old 29 Apr 2013, 06:35 (Ref:3240430)   #31
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also didn't help that there were a few sticky fingers in the pie.