Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Jul 2020, 21:00 (Ref:3987069)   #51
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Normality returns, back to the weekend early starts and the weather looks fair
Old 10 Jul 2020, 15:28 (Ref:3987248)   #52
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope every one has a good weekend.

I will be following on TSL as I'm shielding and have not been out of the house since mid March. Hope to get to Cadwell in September.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 11 Jul 2020, 10:26 (Ref:3987360)   #53
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
There could not be any better welcome back to motorsport than a thunderous McLaren M8 brutalising the Brands Hatch GP loop. Grown men all around with silly happy grins on their faces
Old 11 Jul 2020, 10:37 (Ref:3987366)   #54
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
There could not be any better welcome back to motorsport than a thunderous McLaren M8 brutalising the Brands Hatch GP loop. Grown men all around with silly happy grins on their faces
How about waking through Dingle Dell with the Hesketh F1 being followed by the F5000 Chevron? Good to be back!
Old 11 Jul 2020, 15:18 (Ref:3987413)   #55
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So am at Brands with a mate who is racing. £750 for 4 1/2 hour test sessions on Friday and £1250 entry fee. Apparently my ticket doesn’t get me access to the Grandstand so I can sit with the 10 people who are already there......FFS
Old 11 Jul 2020, 15:46 (Ref:3987419)   #56
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's your mate racing ?
Old 11 Jul 2020, 17:51 (Ref:3987446)   #57
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Super day today, wall to wall cars and very few spectators -back tomorrow for a second dose of Thundersports and tintops
Old 11 Jul 2020, 18:49 (Ref:3987459)   #58
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great first day!
Old 11 Jul 2020, 21:13 (Ref:3987494)   #59
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Super day today, wall to wall cars and very few spectators -back tomorrow for a second dose of Thundersports and tintops
Considering that there was only 2 weeks notice of specators being allowed to attend and the personal circumstances for some, I thought that there was quite a good turnout trackside, especially as I always thought Saturday to be the quieter one of the weekend.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 23:13 (Ref:3987522)   #60
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Yes a good day with lots to see, back tomorrow hoping that Delta's car is cured of the misfire.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Jul 2020, 11:36 (Ref:3987586)   #61
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Yes a good day with lots to see, back tomorrow hoping that Delta's car is cured of the misfire.

Has he checked the coil?
Old 12 Jul 2020, 12:27 (Ref:3987591)   #62
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Tell him it's the coil
Old 12 Jul 2020, 15:05 (Ref:3987669)   #63
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Slightly better for Iain in second race, 10th O/A......and second in class, but a long way off the class leader....

Been checking TSL in between watching the GP, and there seem to have been a lot of safety cars and red flags......is everyone a bit rusty or is there a shortage of marshals / rescue crews to sort things quickly?
Old 12 Jul 2020, 15:39 (Ref:3987685)   #64
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Slightly better for Iain in second race, 10th O/A......and second in class, but a long way off the class leader....

Been checking TSL in between watching the GP, and there seem to have been a lot of safety cars and red flags......is everyone a bit rusty or is there a shortage of marshals / rescue crews to sort things quickly?

Only 2 marshals I think per post so anything that requires more which there has been a few unfortunately has required either an SC or red flag which today has been every race I think.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 19:59 (Ref:3987750)   #65
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quite a stop / start day with numerous red flags / SC as noted above. Probably down to some ring rustiness, racing drivers optimism and the limited marshal numbers.

Guy Smith had a huge shunt at Druids in his Lotus Cortina - seemed to be indicating the throttle stuck. He managed to go into the tyres at an angle rather than head on. Somewhat dazed to start with; very pleased to see him walk away.

Personal highlight at only my second time at BH for a GP Circuit meeting (prev 1968) - we walked the GP loop for the first time and found some new photo vantage points - although there is some extensive fencing on the loop. Link to photos will follow in a day or so.
Old 12 Jul 2020, 20:25 (Ref:3987760)   #66
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 12 Jul 2020, 21:56 (Ref:3987779)   #67
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Well it was good to see a lot of entries for a change from some that I have been to over the years. However lots of stoppages was a bit of a pain but at least there was a meeting at last ! Hopefully we all came away without any "virus" problems
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Jul 2020, 22:01 (Ref:3987780)   #68
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Great to see Sue today Gordon , even if she did tell us both off !!!. Full report tomorrow . Bit knackard after 3 hour drive back to workshop then such a lovely evening I had to bike home . Brilliant weekend even with a pesky misfire .Thanks for stunning photo David . Cheered me up . 😀
Old 13 Jul 2020, 05:38 (Ref:3987824)   #69
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Must have been something in the air. We were blighted by red flags too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 13 Jul 2020, 09:05 (Ref:3987850)   #70
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great Weekend

SO good to be back on track, i did nothing last year, so it had been quite a while.

Thanks to HSCC, MSV, Marshals and everyone else!

There were more spectators than I had anticipated to be honest.

Really pleased with Saturday's exertions in the Gemini, hadn't expected to get up to speed so quickly after my lay-off, but ended up setting a PB, and had some fun racing midfield, with the Ford-powered front-engined cars a long way in front! Thanks to Delta and the extended crew for their support. Was knackered at the end of the day. Really really hoping for a nice snap of me coming through Stirlings too ... I personally feel quite committed through there, although "it may not show up on camera!"

Yesterday was HRS with the TR5. In Quali had fuelling issues through/after the left-handers, despite finishing the session still with 15 ltrs, so was well down on time and grid. With a late racetime, and numerous delays during the afternoon, we feared for a shortened or cancelled race, but we did get our full allocation in the end. Rolling start was a shambles, leaders must have been at Druids before anyone in midfield had even got their toe down. Then an early safety car (i couldn't actually see what that was for!), but had an enjoyable run, overtaking several cars and going somewhat quicker having improved the fuelling issue by the simple expedient of starting a 20min race with 35ltrs ... in so doing proving the diagnosis too, as the issue just came back right at the end of the race.

I assume the stoppages during the day were partly due to reduced marshals on post, leading to more reds and maybe earlier SC cars, but someone in authority would need to corroborate that, just my perception. There were certainly some significant oil spills which take some time to clear up - i don't think anyone should be moaning to officialdom for that ... moan at the cars that do it (i know not all are preventable of course).

My only gripe of whole weekend .... £5 to sit in the Grandstand ... we didn't bother, but why did they need to charge that, i cannot believe it would have covered the costs of the 3/4 people selling the tickets or policing it.

Great weekend ... going to sign up for Oulton Gold Cup, just not sure which races!
Old 13 Jul 2020, 09:53 (Ref:3987861)   #71
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Thanks to everyone who participated, I enjoyed the weekend immensely meeting up with a couple of cronies on Sunday. With the exception of the race stoppages the HSCC managed to keep the ball rolling most of the time with rolling starts and skipping podium presentations between races neatly stitched together with Marcus Pye's commentary. Strong grid entries particularly considering the conditions, my heart always goes out to competitors suffering gremlins in their races particularly considering the astronomical entry fees. I know a little of the hard work that goes in to racing having helped out a few times and the commitment required, thanks for your efforts.
Old 13 Jul 2020, 10:01 (Ref:3987864)   #72
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Very much a ten tenths weekend, Me, Gordon,MG David, HRTR5, Colin, Alan Morgan, Simon Hadfield,David and Chris out on track with their camera's Alan and Fay and many of my marshal friends who came by to say hello. There was one person missing but his spirit was with us all weekend.
I was tickled pink with both my young charger's in their Gemini FJ cars.I really do get a buzz when i see them having such good races and having fun which is what this is all about. I did have high hopes for the March 79B as we have spent a fair amount of time going through the fuel system and all electrics after the test a couple of weeks back. The car goes off the line like a rocket but after half a lap the misfire comes back.We decided to use the first race as a test and I pitted twice to disconnect the rev limiter and then we took the air cleaner off. No change what so ever.I never like giving up so managed a P10 in first race "last 2 laps down and last" and then P9 in second race.There were a lot of cars DNF.
MG David and Gordon were supportive as ever and also most of the paddock all coming up with ideas on what the misfire could be.. Miles Griffiths who won the second race has offered his rolling road services so I guess this is the last option for me now.I love the car and when it goes it sure is fast I only wish I had the car when i was aged 27 and not now at 67.As my dear old friend Sir Nick Williamson would say " the corners come up blooming quick these days".
I really want to race the car at Zandvoort and Spa just to get this F2 thing out of my system and then go back to driving less powered cars.
So on wards and upwards but as James said well done all at HSCC and Brands Hatch.
Funny story now. Came back in to pit after first race and I am sitting in car a bit despondent along with the team and Gordon quietly said "fire".No one took any notice. He then said "Fire !!!!!!" a bit Lauder and sure enough we did have a fire. Good old Gordon.
Old 13 Jul 2020, 10:15 (Ref:3987867)   #73
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post

Funny story now. Came back in to pit after first race and I am sitting in car a bit despondent along with the team and Gordon quietly said "fire".No one took any notice. He then said "Fire !!!!!!" a bit Louder and sure enough we did have a fire. Good old Gordon.
It wasn't that funny!!! Although I must be careful with that box of matches in future
Old 13 Jul 2020, 14:07 (Ref:3987934)   #74
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
As promised above - a selection from Sunday.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmPprBNr
Old 13 Jul 2020, 14:44 (Ref:3987957)   #75
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There seemed to be an unusually high number of fires,. Three cars at least were well ablaze during the races

Marcus Pye did.a great job covering both days, including practice, all on his own with no co-commentators to help him

Thanks to MSV and HSCC for putting on such a full event in difficult circumstances and letting me come to watch as well.

Really missed the stroll round the paddock though......