Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 May 2007, 10:02 (Ref:1915235)   #1
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Masters Donington, 27th-28th May

OK, it's a bit early to start this thread, but who else is going?

I'll be there in the 'red Italian blob' as usual, in the Gentleman Dribblers race, and trying to decide whether to do the '50s race (although being the last to leave on a Bank holiday Monday, is not usually a good thing..).

Having rolled a car at Paddock 7 years ago, and not having raced there much since, I'm always a bit slower (yes, even than usual!) there, so booked myself in or testing on the 26th to get a few more laps under my belt.

Regards,

James
Old 17 May 2007, 10:16 (Ref:1915240)   #2
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to this event as a spectator - nice to hear the Saturday test is definately ON, as the link on Masters` website has always been a dead one. That confirms my 3-day attendance.

Just a little pointer though SZRacer - please don`t go to Donington as your thread title would suggest as you will be wasting your entry fee!!!

If anyone has any news on entry numbers accross the events I`m sure there would be lots of interested "anoraks" out there - I expect as competitors you receive insider info (eventually?) which doesn`t get put on the Masters` site.
Old 17 May 2007, 10:21 (Ref:1915244)   #3
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oops! I mean Brands of Course!

A 'Senior moment'...!!

Will re-post the thread...

Mr. Moderator, please can you delete this thread, and/or move any posts to the 'correct' one?

Thanks,

James

(Now merged as requested - JT)

Last edited by John Turner; 17 May 2007 at 16:26.
Old 17 May 2007, 18:51 (Ref:1915529)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'm going . . .car No 31 in The Historic Motor Racing News U2TC race

apart from putting my engine back together and changing my race Nos I'm ready to go

I can't wait, I love Brands, wet or dry!
Old 21 May 2007, 15:54 (Ref:1918113)   #5
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
Anyone else?

I can't believe only two of us racing and one spectating...

James
Old 21 May 2007, 15:56 (Ref:1918116)   #6
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm hoping to be there, but having just moved house, and with my engine in bits I have a feeling I probably won't make it!!! Will come and find you if I do.
Old 21 May 2007, 16:05 (Ref:1918121)   #7
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer
Anyone else?

James
I'm there as Deputy Clerk of the Course, acting as a liason between MSVR (the organising club) and the Masters organisation. As I won't have the same operational responsibilities as at an HSCC meeting, I hope to have more time to get to know some of the people I don't normally meet (as in they're never in trouble! )
Old 21 May 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1918132)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Guys, there is also a thread about this in Trackside, so pop in there to have a look.
Old 21 May 2007, 17:42 (Ref:1918216)   #9
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm there in the Elva (SRM) and Cortina (Top Hat Saloons plus U2TC). Looking forward to it!

Roger
Old 22 May 2007, 07:34 (Ref:1918518)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer
Anyone else?

James
I'm afraid I'm giving it a miss because I'm suffering event saturation; it'll be the first weekend away from racing since early April and the last before the middle of July. I know you'll all feel sorry for me having to endure such hardship!!!

James, or indeed anyone else going, it would be good to get a bit of a report or pictorial review, if you have time, after the event.
Old 22 May 2007, 07:37 (Ref:1918520)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Guys, there is also a thread about this in Trackside, so pop in there to have a look.
You could have put a link in Stephen; you are allowed!

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96661
Old 22 May 2007, 07:59 (Ref:1918534)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Oooops sorry John
Old 22 May 2007, 08:54 (Ref:1918568)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Engines back together, sytarted first time and is purring, van is loaded with spares etc, just need new Numbers, getting excited already

just the small matter of my brothers wedding to get through beforehand !
Old 23 May 2007, 09:07 (Ref:1919381)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He doe,s not want to go racing then.
Old 23 May 2007, 09:13 (Ref:1919385)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
he's not into racing, although he was quicker than me Karting on his stag day! ( he weighs 4 stone less! )
Old 23 May 2007, 18:24 (Ref:1919755)   #16
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who is testing on Saturday as well? I entered a car too many and have a spare spot if anyone wants to take it at 50% of cost?
Old 25 May 2007, 11:07 (Ref:1920953)   #17
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
I'm also testing tomoromrrow, but unfortunately, have already paid!

By the way, does anyone actually have an entry list?

Regards,

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
Who is testing on Saturday as well? I entered a car too many and have a spare spot if anyone wants to take it at 50% of cost?
Old 25 May 2007, 14:10 (Ref:1921060)   #18
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
only for U2TC, 28 cars on my list from memory, a mix of mini coopers, LC's and Alfas, with a few odd balls thrown in for good measure
Old 25 May 2007, 16:29 (Ref:1921135)   #19
Elio
Veteran

Roger posted U2 on another thread....

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...t=84255&page=6

Just noticed the Grp C list there as well.... 3 more cars than the 23 listed on the official Group C site.

Throw-a-six-to-start with respect to the Masters` entries then!! Just adds to the anticipation I guess. I am intrigued to see what might be heading past my camera come 9 tomorrow morning!
Old 25 May 2007, 19:17 (Ref:1921215)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
theres some hard core cars in that group C list !

it can't help draw in punters if the main organiser doen't say whats racing ?
Old 25 May 2007, 19:50 (Ref:1921228)   #21
Elio
Veteran

Very true. However I wonder whether the casual punter that MSV are trying to entice (by advertising alongside A1 and DTM for instance) might even go so far as to look for entries online? I think it`s probably the hardcore "anorak" brigade and the competitors themselves that look for that type of stuff.

Hopefully no news is good news... Being a Brands regular I tend to usually feel a little short-changed when I come away from the "bigger" Historic meets (ie. I`m trying to exclude the more "Club" based HSCC categories which are always wonderfully supported at Brands). It always seems that the Silverstone and Donington meets tend to bring out those few extra "secial" entrants which Brands always seems to struggle for. Funny really cos Brands is better than both the other two put together!!!!!
Old 26 May 2007, 08:12 (Ref:1921390)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elio
Funny really cos Brands is better than both the other two put together!!!!!
Not if:-

1) It's on the Indy circuit - too short, and
2) There is very little, if any, track that you can see without looking through massive fences - there are still places at Silverstone and Donington where you can have an unobscured view, and
3) You have a whole lot further to go to get there!
Old 26 May 2007, 08:26 (Ref:1921396)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elio
Funny really cos Brands is better than both the other two put together!!!!!
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

Gotta be honest as a driver, unless its the GP circuit Brands sucks.

I do get fed up with this knocking Silverstone gets when for out and out speed and diffculty it ranks up there with the best and I'd go as far to say that the International circuit is technically the most difficult circuit to set a car up for in the UK.

Donington in either format is also a great driver's circuit and that is why they get the big entries.

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic

I am concerned with the Masters thing though because it seems from the outside that they aren't issuing the info that we all need.

I do know that they work bloody hard to organise events though so I wouldn't knock them for effort.
Old 26 May 2007, 08:36 (Ref:1921398)   #24
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Not if:-

1) It's on the Indy circuit - too short, and
2) There is very little, if any, track that you can see without looking through massive fences - there are still places at Silverstone and Donington where you can have an unobscured view, and
3) You have a whole lot further to go to get there!
Do we detect a touch of the 'Grumpy Old Man' syndrome - just because you're not going
Old 26 May 2007, 08:46 (Ref:1921406)   #25
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be there as i have had an invitation to visit one of the guys who run Carlos Barbot's Lola T70.

As i am a Lola T70 nut and have been since my teens how can i miss an opportunity to get more first hand info on any of these cars while they are in the UK.

Hope to run into you John not litterally

Pete