Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 May 2014, 08:02 (Ref:3412218)   #26
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
It's no good you attending wearing a beret and smoking a Gauloise- we will suss out it is you!

Will be going anyway - there is some other very interesting stuff there, and no need for the beret as they are English
Old 30 May 2014, 12:51 (Ref:3412677)   #27
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Brian A;3411701Again to quote Ortenburger:
"Shortly after Le Mans, David Buxton acquired the car (under the Team Elite banner) and gave it to Bill Allen for a minor club event at Rufforth Airfield in Yorkshire. Allen recalled that the race bagan in light rain and because the acceleration was so good he had managed to put the car in first place by the first corner. When he turned the steering wheel for the right-hander, the car did not respond at all and understeered straight off the circuit. He pulled in after a few slow laps and pronounced the car unfit to race. Back at Buxton's, the FPF was removed and sold and the car placed on stands in the back of the worksho[/QUOTE]

Just to be really pedantic the first (and second) corners after the start at Rufforth were both left handers. However, there was then a fairly long straight squirt up to a double apex right hander hairpin, thankfully with acres of tarmac runoff on the outside of the corner. I can imagine the car would have gone way off the circuit if the handling was as bad as descibed.

As a matter of (off topic) interest I have in front of me a DVD of racing at Rufforth between 1969 and 1976 produced by a resident of Rufforth village from period videos taken by George Duncan and others who were racing at that time. It's 32 minutes long so probably too long to post on here but I will copy it for anybody who may be interested.
Old 30 May 2014, 17:03 (Ref:3412783)   #28
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Taking Le Mans Classic as an example, the eligibility requirement is that the car raced at Le Mans, so as Brian says, the LX in theory would not get an entry- with or without HTP. Some organisers might accept the car for the publicity and interest it could attract....

However LMC do allow cars that have never raced at Le Mans so maybe it's not so clear cut. Thinking specifically of 1965 911 2.0 model - never raced there in period but I believe they are welcomed now...
Old 30 May 2014, 18:37 (Ref:3412821)   #29
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Just to be really pedantic the first (and second) corners after the start at Rufforth were both left handers. However, there was then a fairly long straight squirt up to a double apex right hander hairpin, thankfully with acres of tarmac runoff on the outside of the corner. I can imagine the car would have gone way off the circuit if the handling was as bad as descibed.

As a matter of (off topic) interest I have in front of me a DVD of racing at Rufforth between 1969 and 1976 produced by a resident of Rufforth village from period videos taken by George Duncan and others who were racing at that time. It's 32 minutes long so probably too long to post on here but I will copy it for anybody who may be interested.
Yes please! Right up my street! I'll be at the Croft Nostalgia Weekend in August if you're going. There'll be plenty of beer on tap by way of a thankyou...