Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Nov 2010, 18:47 (Ref:2787700)   #76
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I drove a car on a track day at Goodwood on road tyres . . . . nearly parked it into the chicane wall, they where f***ed after 3 laps, therefore I'd say the dunlops are pretty good, predictable if nothing else, and thats coming from a part time hobbyist!
It really depends on the tyres. I've driven the same car on both the original fit supposedly performance(read stupidly expensive) tyres on track which were crap and went off within 5 laps and also with budget performance (third of the price of originals) which were much better. The budget tyres didn't go off, gave the same amount of grip and feel throughout a 20minute session and outlasted the car many thousands of miles later. I even did one trackday trying to kill them by excessively drifting and lighting them up
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 9 Nov 2010, 19:16 (Ref:2787713)   #77
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ran out of talent eh Zef?

FISC was run on road tyres - £160/set, buffed, fitted & balanced. 130 bhp in 650kg car, it was quite good fun. But you had to get the line right first time and it concentrated the mind

The Monty was on Proxes list 1 for the 6 hours, and I was able to hold most people through the quick corners.
Old 9 Nov 2010, 20:05 (Ref:2787736)   #78
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
when I said road tyres I meant road tyres, not race tyres that are road legal, like yokibear tyres HRS use for example
Old 9 Nov 2010, 20:53 (Ref:2787756)   #79
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So did I........List 1a tyres I should have typed!
Old 9 Nov 2010, 23:59 (Ref:2787845)   #80
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me too, bought from our local Kwik Fit.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 10 Nov 2010, 00:02 (Ref:2787846)   #81
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
........The Monty was on Proxes list 1 for the 6 hours, and I was able to hold most people through the quick corners.
^
did you miss the word 'up' out of that Max ?
Old 10 Nov 2010, 02:21 (Ref:2787879)   #82
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Ran out of talent eh Zef?

FISC was run on road tyres - £160/set, buffed, fitted & balanced. 130 bhp in 650kg car, it was quite good fun. But you had to get the line right first time and it concentrated the mind

The Monty was on Proxes list 1 for the 6 hours, and I was able to hold most people through the quick corners.
I think maybe that's the trick if racing on 'normal' road tyres, as opposed to track biased road legal tyres. If you start off with a new road tyre with the standard 8mm of tread, I think the tread moves around too much and just overheats and subsequently shreads itself. But if they're buffed down to around 5mm (which is all the track biased tyres come with anyway), then maybe this alleviates the problem to a certain extent.

I'm just hypothesizing here, as I haven't actually raced on 'normal' road tyres - but I have driven a trackday on bog standard road tyres in a fairly powerful (albeit lightweight) RWD car, and I was deliberately hanging the tail out and sliding it round - and it didn't kill the cheapo tyres that were fitted. But they did only start with about 4mm of tread, so maybe that's the key?
Old 10 Nov 2010, 08:18 (Ref:2787938)   #83
midgetman
Veteran

We buffed them to 1mm, which grieved me. If we left them at standard tread depth they wore out very, very quickly. And the grip was less as the tread blocks moved around, think driving on racing wets in the dry.

At 1mm they lasted for ages.
Old 10 Nov 2010, 09:26 (Ref:2787962)   #84
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
so that would explain why Dunlops lookshagged almost immediately, but once they're 'run in' they last yonks . . .even if they do go a bit hard!

I've seen the odd one down to the canvas!
Old 10 Nov 2010, 11:59 (Ref:2788010)   #85
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had some Dunlop D84's down to the canvas no problem, but they were rock hard also!

But when I tried to get the same 'value for money' from Yoko AO48's, they blew out on me!

Very unreasonable of them, I thought...
Old 10 Nov 2010, 12:54 (Ref:2788040)   #86
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We used to use control Vredestein road tyres with the JEC saloons, I first used them unbuffed and the shoulder wear was horrendous, they only lasted a couple of meetings and grip was tenuous. However, buffed to 4mm they would last all season and handled much better. I found that temps/pressures were much more unpredictable with unbuffed tyres which suggests they also heat up much quicker.
Old 10 Nov 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2788049)   #87
midgetman
Veteran

As you may know, I also teach on a skid car - you know, Mondeo bolted on a frame. We use 2nd hand tyres on this for obvious reasons. But one set of wheels I bought had nearly new tyres on. After one session they looked exactly the same as the ones that were sold as "illegal for road use" and they stayed at that level for the same length of time as the "illegal" ones.

Proof if proof were needed of the merits of buffing. If anyone races on 185/60/14 wheels, I'll buff em for free for you LOL

BTW with the FISC tyres the grip level was so uniform (read bad) throughout their life that you could get away with changing just one tyre if there was (much) canvas showing.

Last edited by midgetman; 10 Nov 2010 at 13:01. Reason: typo