Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Jun 2019, 06:23 (Ref:3908587)   #26
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
The track licence certainly doesn't mandate SEVEN cars.

And to think I once saw a full grid of Tuscan Challenge cars at Cadwell. It was mayhem , however ...
Old 8 Jun 2019, 07:10 (Ref:3908593)   #27
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
And to think I once saw a full grid of Tuscan Challenge cars at Cadwell. It was mayhem , however ...
The Tuscan grids were great wherever they raced but Cadwell! A bit crowded through the Hall bends I expect
Old 8 Jun 2019, 08:43 (Ref:3908601)   #28
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Indeed - but dear oh dear the Guards Trophy entry is embarrassing . And in recent years we have had double heat FF1600 - and the entry is good but not as good as in recent years. Why is that , when other classes - FF2000 for one - are on the up ? Or is that the reason ?
Perhaps it should be merged with something else, as a separate race within a race; Historic Road Sports, perhaps?

As for Tuscans racing at Caldwell, blimey! Although a full grid of Jaguars racing in the JEC series at Caldwell as part of a CSCC is fairly awe inspiring, particularly with all 4 wheels off the ground as they go over The Mountain.
Old 8 Jun 2019, 09:55 (Ref:3908616)   #29
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I recall the TVRs not even making it to Coppice on the first lap , bodywork flying into the spectator areas etc . Obviously, I could not have it liked it more ... but they weren't asked back.

F3 there was pretty special too...
Old 8 Jun 2019, 12:52 (Ref:3908634)   #30
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The track licence certainly doesn't mandate SEVEN cars.

The HSCC info points out they can only invite the SRA and SRB classes.

SRC and SRD are not covered by the licence.

https://hscc.org.uk/event/cadwell-pa...olds-trophy-2/
Old 15 Jun 2019, 20:31 (Ref:3911120)   #31
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was approached at the circuit today asking if my name was Mr Coppice of this domain, admittedly I was spectating at Coppice but there the resemblance ends.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 17:24 (Ref:3912229)   #32
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Looks like my stealth mode approach is working then ...
Old 16 Jun 2019, 18:22 (Ref:3912235)   #33
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just having a quick look at the results noticed the F2 Tecno in the CRC race lapped the field albeit small twice in 20 Mins. Haven't seen that before.

4 out of 4 for the cobra in Roadsports.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 20:08 (Ref:3912262)   #34
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just back from my first visit to cadwell. Wonderful circuit for a spectator, great photo opportunities due to lack of chainlink fencing, and actually allowing spectators to watch close up without being moved to another county.
Deserved win for Bob Bullen's Anglia in 2nd race after its 1st race damage
Old 16 Jun 2019, 21:16 (Ref:3912290)   #35
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wonderful though Cadwell is for viewing and photography compared to many circuits theses days I did note some further signs of "Fence Creep".

Clearly the next logical step would be to join the 2 sections of fencing that now exist at Charlie's to give the place a more cohesive appearance.

BrandS spotted in the cafe during Breakfast both Saturday and Sunday but in each case somehow the opportunity to greet was missed.

I thought that would not much matter as we would be bound to bump into each other out around the circuit ... but that never happened.

During previous visits one of my preferred shooting locations was exactly where the new fencing has appeared. Oh well, at least that forced me to seek out other options.

On Sunday I noticed that spectator count (and more to the point the car count) long the straight between Charlie's and Park was higher than I remember it for previous meetings and so somewhat closely packed right up against the fence. I really doubt the wandering photographers barging through would be welcomed. The density seemed likely to be at least partly the result of the new fencing behind which there seemed to be no spectators at all. (Photo taken on Saturday which seemed to be quieter but from memory it was the same on Sunday.)
Attached Thumbnails
Sundry_1024px_60_ HSCC_Cadwell_Park_Jun2019_20190615_ONED9575.jpg  
Old 16 Jun 2019, 22:03 (Ref:3912302)   #36
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry to miss you Grant. We were camping close to Halls bends and so I shot some qualifying shots there both days before we headed up to Charlie's to shoot and watch the racing.
I to was disappointed by the two new fences at Charlie's. The new one by the marshal post cuts out the group shot coming up from Coppice and the one you showed blocks the head on as the cars creast the rise. I'm told both were at the insistance of the BSB, along with new red zones for the media bibs.

Really enjoyed the weekend dispite the weather, several small grids and the 450 mile round trip.
Hoping the CSCC are running there next year so I can return.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 23:39 (Ref:3912322)   #37
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Sorry to miss you Grant. We were camping close to Halls bends and so I shot some qualifying shots there both days before we headed up to Charlie's to shoot and watch the racing.
I to was disappointed by the two new fences at Charlie's. The new one by the marshal post cuts out the group shot coming up from Coppice and the one you showed blocks the head on as the cars creast the rise. I'm told both were at the insistance of the BSB, along with new red zones for the media bibs.

Really enjoyed the weekend dispite the weather, several small grids and the 450 mile round trip.
Hoping the CSCC are running there next year so I can return.
Ah!

Charlies.

Yes - didn't get that far round this trip - partly 'cos of the new fence and partly because I was regularly going back to the paddock and trying to save a little time in the travel. Also I was seeking some variety to differentiate images from earlier visits.

The first fence you mentioned has been there for a while (three or four years?) and was indeed a BSB requirement or so I was told around the time it appeared.

The bright and shiny new one seems to be more related to the incident at last year's meeting with the rolling and burning FF1600 of Nelson Rowe - at least by it position if nothing else.

One comment that came up in conversation was that it might be there to prevent members of the public going to help a driver in need although I put that down to traditional British dark humour.

I also noted that the marshals post just before the Gooseneck was not in use and another structure made of scaffold had appeared in what seemed to be a slightly odd location (for flagging) some way from the track and more centrally on the infield. Presumably some sort of trial is on progress.

The media constraints were in place last year as well.

However that seems to be a general trend at MSV sites - maybe other too. Something similar has happened as Donington. And I seem to recall rumours about the same at Brands Hatch.

I guess if, as a circuit owner, you can constrain an insurance liability in some way that allows you to add to profits (or whatever) then you are likely to do so.

As you said, despite the niggles and the weekend's erratic (but not untypical) weather it was still very enjoyable as a place to visit. That it happens to have some motor sport to watch is a bonus!

Until next time - somewhere ...
Old 17 Jun 2019, 06:39 (Ref:3912362)   #38
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Ah!

Charlies.

Yes - didn't get that far round this trip - partly 'cos of the new fence and partly because I was regularly going back to the paddock and trying to save a little time in the travel. Also I was seeking some variety to differentiate images from earlier visits.

The first fence you mentioned has been there for a while (three or four years?) and was indeed a BSB requirement or so I was told around the time it appeared.

The bright and shiny new one seems to be more related to the incident at last year's meeting with the rolling and burning FF1600 of Nelson Rowe - at least by it position if nothing else.

One comment that came up in conversation was that it might be there to prevent members of the public going to help a driver in need although I put that down to traditional British dark humour.

I also noted that the marshals post just before the Gooseneck was not in use and another structure made of scaffold had appeared in what seemed to be a slightly odd location (for flagging) some way from the track and more centrally on the infield. Presumably some sort of trial is on progress.

The media constraints were in place last year as well.

However that seems to be a general trend at MSV sites - maybe other too. Something similar has happened as Donington. And I seem to recall rumours about the same at Brands Hatch.

I guess if, as a circuit owner, you can constrain an insurance liability in some way that allows you to add to profits (or whatever) then you are likely to do so.

As you said, despite the niggles and the weekend's erratic (but not untypical) weather it was still very enjoyable as a place to visit. That it happens to have some motor sport to watch is a bonus!

Until next time - somewhere ...
You can see our cars at the edge of your fence picture, so I was mainly shooting/watching from that area. I did wander down past the said fence a couple of times to get exit of Charlies shots.
There are two fences at Charlies In now, either side of the marshal post, the right hand one has sprung up over last winter.
Not sure what the reasoning is for that.

We witnessed the Rowe incident last year as the car landed close to us. The fencing around that area is still the same and could still be jumped or got through. Looking at the positioning of the chainlinked fencing on the exit I assume it means if there was a similiar incident the marshals and incident officers can now safely attend the driver by moving from their post behind the fence.
Media bibs were allowed to stand in front of the fence, which I always think is odd.

As you say, until the next time
Old 17 Jun 2019, 07:15 (Ref:3912370)   #39
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
I can live with the odd bit of fence , preferring to enjoy Cadwell's unique location and ambience from my favorite spots , which remain unsullied - Hall bends , Mountain entry and (of course) Coppice . MSV are doing a damn good job - every year I see little tweaks, most of which are for the better - this year I liked the interpretative signboards showing the circuit's heritage .

Unlike some venues, not a scrap of litter either.

But HSCC needs to get a grip - FF1600 good(but 2 heats and final next year please) , FF2000 and F3 excellent and road sports ok but come on , if you can only muster a tiny handful for Guards and Classic racing cars it is time to think again surely ? The meeting somehow lacked the fizz of previous years I thought and why no interviews with winners ? The commentary team were spot on but some post race chat would be nice , rather than silence.

Quibbling apart , still the best place to watch racing cars I have ever been
Old 17 Jun 2019, 08:42 (Ref:3912377)   #40
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there yesterday and thought the general ambience was good but agree Guards entry on Saturday was poor. A sign of the times that there are now so many race meetings to pick and choose. The weather was OK except a very short shower just before noon and heavier rain towards the end of the meeting, both occurring during Historic Touring Cars to add a bit of spice.

Cadwell is a great place to spectate but competing there always made me feel sick, particularly the Gooseneck and Hall Bends with rapid changes of direction. I think Anglesey will match Cadwell for spectator appeal when HSCC go there in July. I visited the circuit for the first time last year (mid week but with some track activity) and the circuit seems very similar to Cadwell with elevation changes and sweeping curves but with the advantage of wider track and run off areas. And stunning scenery.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 09:48 (Ref:3912390)   #41
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
You can see our cars at the edge of your fence picture, so I was mainly shooting/watching from that area. I did wander down past the said fence a couple of times to get exit of Charlies shots.
There are two fences at Charlies In now, either side of the marshal post, the right hand one has sprung up over last winter.
Not sure what the reasoning is for that.

We witnessed the Rowe incident last year as the car landed close to us. The fencing around that area is still the same and could still be jumped or got through. Looking at the positioning of the chainlinked fencing on the exit I assume it means if there was a similiar incident the marshals and incident officers can now safely attend the driver by moving from their post behind the fence.
Media bibs were allowed to stand in front of the fence, which I always think is odd.

As you say, until the next time

Ah, right another fence at Charlie's In. I didn't spot that from any of the locations I used over the weekend.

There also seem to be some posts across the spectator area that I don't recall seeing before. Behind the fence in my photo. I had intended to drive up and find out what they were but the combination of the eventful HFF2000 races and heavy showers meant I didn't get around to it.

Media bibs mean you have insurance and have signed you life away without risk to the circuit so to some extent can do what you want. Or could should you feel it worthwhile. However even that option seems to be slowly being 'de-risked'.

In the huge area of grass in the middle of the circuit one can observed some parked cars belonging to the marshals. Locations where race car incidents have never reached (one assumes). It used to be possible, with a media sign on, to use those locations for photography giving some great opportunities for catching quite unique shots of several parts of the track from one position. However that is no longer allowed. (It's not something I have enjoyed personally but I have seen others taking advantage.)

I think MSV have a particular interest in this areas after the Incidents at Brands when an WTC car (SEAT?) cartwheeled into an area next to a marshals post somewhere near Stirlings and an MR2 went over the fencing and landed in a public area at Paddock Hill bend.

Collecting area can also be the source of excitement - witness the snaps attached that show part of the sequence of events that led to the Guards trophy entry being even smaller than hoped for. They were taken just before the start of the second qualifying session.
Attached Thumbnails
Sundry_1024px_60_ HSCC_Cadwell_Park_Jun2019_20190615_ONED8702.jpg   Sundry_1024px_60_ HSCC_Cadwell_Park_Jun2019_20190615_ONED8717.jpg  
Old 17 Jun 2019, 10:16 (Ref:3912397)   #42
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Before I gave up the media bib malarky (at circuits anyway) this was the last media guide I got at Cadwell last year for the VSCC event.

Maybe it's different this year?

The only difference was that I was told by other media bods on the day, that Cadwell had extended the red zone on the outside of the track from Barn a bit further up towards the Hairpin. It's not shown on the plan and wasn't mentioned at sign-on that I recall and I always used to ask at all circuits if there had been any changes from the previous year.

It always used to amuse / concern me at some circuits (not Cadwell) to be told 'you know the rules about where you can and can't go' - quite a blanket assumption I thought.

Or 'if you're where you shouldn't be the marshals will tell you' (had that a few times at Donington where I never got a map or saw one even after asking - until maybe last year after MSV took over, maybe got one then, not sure).
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2019-06-17 at 11.00.12.png  

Last edited by gary396; 17 Jun 2019 at 10:17. Reason: missing words
Old 17 Jun 2019, 11:27 (Ref:3912409)   #43
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Before I gave up the media bib malarky (at circuits anyway) this was the last media guide I got at Cadwell last year for the VSCC event.

The only difference was that I was told by other media bods on the day, that Cadwell had extended the red zone on the outside of the track from Barn a bit further up towards the Hairpin. It's not shown on the plan and wasn't mentioned at sign-on that I recall and I always used to ask at all circuits if there had been any changes from the previous year.

It always used to amuse / concern me at some circuits (not Cadwell) to be told 'you know the rules about where you can and can't go' - quite a blanket assumption I thought.

Or 'if you're where you shouldn't be the marshals will tell you' (had that a few times at Donington where I never got a map or saw one even after asking - until maybe last year after MSV took over, maybe got one then, not sure).
I think the inside between Charlies and Mansfield is, effectively, out of bounds now - or, if not officially out of bounds as understood by the marshals, no longer of much interest for what is left that can be used. The boundary line in the map is, perhaps, open to interpretation at that location.

On the other hand some of the impact protection stuff around the circuit is pretty darned good. Especially the stuff they have on the inside at Hall Bends.

Adrian Oliver in his Imp went off at some speed and thumped into the barriers with the OS front wing.

When they pulled it out I was expecting to see a lot of crumpled metal and a wheel as a funny angle but no - nothing. They towed the car back to the paddock.

I went to have a look since I found it hard to believe there was no obvious damage and Adrian said that he too was surprised but could not find anything wrong other than some scuffed paint along the side.

He was out in the second race of the day and managed to get fastest lap (according to the commentary) so I presume that all was indeed well.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 21:06 (Ref:3912532)   #44
brands
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post

Talking to a couple of bibs this year that map looks about right. Maybe they are just enforcing those zones ?
Old 17 Jun 2019, 21:12 (Ref:3912534)   #45
brands
Veteran

A batch of locations that a lazy spectator can easily access and the reason I will return until the fence fairies have their way.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0018.jpg   IMG_0250.jpg   IMG_0296.jpg  

IMG_0360.jpg   IMG_0481.jpg   IMG_0723.jpg  

Old 17 Jun 2019, 22:24 (Ref:3912554)   #46
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Don't make it sound so attractive John, they'll introduce charges to be allowed to use cameras!

A short sequence of shots from the 'How close can you get to marker post without knocking it out of its holder' competition.
Attached Thumbnails
Sundry_1024px_60_ HSCC_Cadwell_Park_Jun2019_20190616_ONED0267.jpg   Sundry_1024px_60_ HSCC_Cadwell_Park_Jun2019_20190616_ONED0268.jpg   Sundry_1024px_60_ HSCC_Cadwell_Park_Jun2019_20190616_ONED0269.jpg  

Sundry_1024px_60_ HSCC_Cadwell_Park_Jun2019_20190616_ONED0270.jpg   Sundry_1024px_60_ HSCC_Cadwell_Park_Jun2019_20190616_ONED0271.jpg   Sundry_1024px_60_ HSCC_Cadwell_Park_Jun2019_20190616_ONED0272.jpg  

Last edited by grantp; 17 Jun 2019 at 22:39.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 22:42 (Ref:3912564)   #47
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

I think probably Callum Grant managed the best result for the Market Wobbling prize.
Attached Thumbnails
Sundry_1024px_60_ HSCC_Cadwell_Park_Jun2019_20190616_ONED0177.jpg   Sundry_1024px_60_ HSCC_Cadwell_Park_Jun2019_20190616_ONED0178.jpg   Sundry_1024px_60_ HSCC_Cadwell_Park_Jun2019_20190616_ONED0179.jpg  

Old 18 Jun 2019, 09:10 (Ref:3912629)   #48
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Some super pics you guys, my efforts would not be worth posting!
Another great weekend for me despite the pretty changeable weather conditions and the sparsity of entries in some categories. Managed to entice my daughter and family who live in Humberside to join us on Sunday's action for a family reunion, pity about the picnic!
Old 18 Jun 2019, 09:24 (Ref:3912631)   #49
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
I think probably Callum Grant managed the best result for the Market Wobbling prize.

That of course should have read MARKER wobbling.
Old 18 Jun 2019, 09:43 (Ref:3912632)   #50
SamBinfield
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ludwigsburg, DE
SamBinfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Don't make it sound so attractive John, they'll introduce charges to be allowed to use cameras!

A short sequence of shots from the 'How close can you get to marker post without knocking it out of its holder' competition.
Great photos! My favourite set of corners out of all the tracks I have been lucky enough to sample thus far.