Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jun 2013, 11:21 (Ref:3262602)   #26
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
An H16 is 2 flat 8s, one on top of the other.
Of course it is Marbot, thanks for correcting me.
Old 14 Jun 2013, 17:24 (Ref:3262725)   #27
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be fair Jim Clark winning a GP in an H16 ios nothing special!

He could have probably won a F1 race in a Lotus Cortina, so complete was his talent!

Wasn't it two v8's stuck end to end or something?

The Weslake was always a lovely sound, and BRM I agree, they had a few at Brands a few weeks back droning round, as usual they ran like poo, but am sure Mr Hall had his going nicely.

A lot of people seem to think the turbo's will be quiet, they really weren't before!! OK nowhere near as loud as modern cars but still loud enough!!
Old 14 Jun 2013, 21:17 (Ref:3262822)   #28
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good sampling of some of motorsport's best sounds and sights if we're honest:
Old 14 Jun 2013, 21:54 (Ref:3262841)   #29
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BRM v16 is an amazing sound, i remember hearing it at silverstone coys festival when i was a kid, what a sound!, you could hear it everywhere around the circuit!
Old 16 Jun 2013, 18:16 (Ref:3263455)   #30
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
The V10's and V8's just sound like nails on a chalkboard to me.
Old 17 Jun 2013, 10:33 (Ref:3263739)   #31
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
And outside the box slightly, Merlin and Griffon plus a few radials!
That. Although its not out of the box, since the OP didn't specify it has to be a car...
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 17 Jun 2013, 10:50 (Ref:3263746)   #32
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
True but it is a motor racing forum!
Old 17 Jun 2013, 12:11 (Ref:3263766)   #33
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Porsche flat-six turbo at full chat. Wonderful.
Old 17 Jun 2013, 12:12 (Ref:3263767)   #34
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
True but it is a motor racing forum!
Motor Racing for men!

Reno Air Races (you have not seen racing till you've seen this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vniz3zXf4g

3:45 min for those with ADD syndrome!

&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtSyg16yXDw

Last edited by wnut; 17 Jun 2013 at 12:18.
Old 17 Jun 2013, 12:36 (Ref:3263779)   #35
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Moto Guzzi V8 GP bike from the 50s !!!! or the Honda 250cc 6 from the 60s !!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Jun 2013, 14:20 (Ref:3263823)   #36
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Prewar Alfa and Maserati straight eights!
Old 17 Jun 2013, 15:07 (Ref:3263840)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The DFV was always a great sound, even as a rev limited 3000 engine. I never understood why a lot of people thought it dull?!

The Matra, Alfa and Ferrari 12's were lovely particularly on hard acceleration from standstill or out of a corner and up through the gears.

In recent times though the BMW V12 in the McLaren F1 GTR race car and the pre-silenced Lamborghini V12 in the Murcielago GT1 were absolutely phenomenal.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 01:15 (Ref:3264099)   #38
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must've been 14 or 15...I later found out her name was Andrea Corr...
Old 18 Jun 2013, 19:22 (Ref:3264482)   #39
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The best engine sound in F1 history is the 3.0 Flat-12 Tipo 001 engine from the Ferrari 312B2.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 23:41 (Ref:3264621)   #40
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
To my ear they all sound beautiful!

Maybe the challenge is, what properly running F1 engine ever sounded bad?

Matt is the only enthusiast I have ever heard complain about V10s and V8s.

To me, I don't like the sound of the Subaru Flat 4s, but I certainly like the way they go!
Old 20 Jun 2013, 00:38 (Ref:3265224)   #41
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

Maybe the challenge is, what properly running F1 engine ever sounded bad?
The Lotus gas-turbine engine. Luckily, they never really caught on. The Williams car that had the CVT. It sounded like a Moped on steroids. Another thing that I'm glad didn't catch on.
Old 20 Jun 2013, 00:53 (Ref:3265230)   #42
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
The Lotus gas-turbine engine. Luckily, they never really caught on. The Williams car that had the CVT. It sounded like a Moped on steroids. Another thing that I'm glad didn't catch on.
I quite liked the turbine car, but a whole grid of them would have been a different matter.

I agree with you the CVT Williams sounded awful, although I only ever saw a video of it. the technology was really interesting though!
Old 24 Jun 2013, 13:33 (Ref:3268881)   #43
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I witnessed those Honda's reving at 20 thousand rpm at Indy. They had a sound class of their own. I always thought the Honda's sounded the best!
Old 24 Jun 2013, 21:12 (Ref:3269163)   #44
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I just won is a good sound....
Old 25 Jun 2013, 15:06 (Ref:3269574)   #45
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
I witnessed those Honda's reving at 20 thousand rpm at Indy. They had a sound class of their own. I always thought the Honda's sounded the best!

They did sound really nice, that must have been awesome for you, I enjoyed watching the cars run at Indy only on TV.....
Old 29 Jun 2013, 07:42 (Ref:3271520)   #46
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BRM V16:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZMPDCNyQxE

I also fall in love with the Alfa Tipo 159 at Goodwood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUFQoRFCyw8

http://youtu.be/n-HbzwweWZc?t=1m10s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAGSxPsSBoM