Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Aug 2018, 00:13 (Ref:3844866)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Crossing the Pond

Mods - feel free to merge this with the 2019 Silly Season thread if you want, but I don’t think it *quite* fits.

Are there any drivers in IndyCar or on the ladder who might be Formula 1 prospects in the next few years (short- to medium-term)? Obviously Rossi’s had one shot and wasn’t overly impressive. The big boys like Dixon, Power and Hunter-Reay are probably too old to make the switch now. What about Newgarden? Pagenaud? Wickens? Hinchcliffe? Or is US open-wheel racing just a different world these days?
Old 20 Aug 2018, 01:48 (Ref:3844869)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Racing is racing, the thing that matters most in making the switch is preparation, so it won't be like they're thrown in the deep end of the pool and can just hit the ground running.
For the moment I feel Newgarden to be the most prominent candidate for F1 as he's got some pretty good momentum going from being the 2017 Indycar champ.

So yeah, Newgarden seems to be the most obvious bet.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 10:11 (Ref:3844934)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, Newhgarden, he has the talent to do so and has experience of racing in Europe. He's worth a shot IMHO
Old 20 Aug 2018, 20:21 (Ref:3845073)   #4
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Obviously Rossi’s had one shot and wasn’t overly impressive. The big boys like Dixon, Power and Hunter-Reay are probably too old to make the switch now. What about Newgarden? Pagenaud? Wickens? Hinchcliffe? Or is US open-wheel racing just a different world these days?

I thought Rossi did a good job at Marussia, finishing all his races while out-qualifying and finishing better than his teammate for the most part. I think he's show at Andretti what he's capable of with a competitive team. While I doubt we'll see him back in F1, seems to me that on merit he deserves a shot in a decent car.

Pagenaud is probably too old to be considered. Wickens has certainly been impressive but the Pocono accident sounds like it could be a major setback.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 20:23 (Ref:3845074)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Rossi did as well as could be expected in that Marussia. Certainly deserved longer in F1. Wickens was third driver at Virgin, so he has some F1 experience, even if it’s not race experience
Old 20 Aug 2018, 20:30 (Ref:3845078)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Pagenaud is older than I thought. Hope Wickens has a speedy and full recovery - horrific smash.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 20:39 (Ref:3845079)   #7
Dixon9
Rookie

Dixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rossi is quick it's just he can fold sometimes. At detroit (I think) RHR pressured him into going straight ahead at a corner.

Mildly biased, but Dixon is one obvious candidate who should have been there years ago. His qualy is slightly dodgy now in his old age but he's a better constructor of a race than anyone in indycar and he's held off the likes of Montoya for titles. Frothing to see what happens between he, Newgarden, Rossi, Power and Alonso next year.

Newgarden is very, very good. If he never gets a drive ahead of the pay drivers and grid filler then it will be a shame but I like indycar more anyway so meh.

Wickens also looks excellent, if a bit hyper-aggressive at times. once he chills out he's got indycar titles in him.

it's a shame we'll never see the true best 20 open wheeler drivers in the same race. i might go post that in the facebook F1 comments for my own entertainment.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 04:50 (Ref:3845113)   #8
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon9 View Post
Rossi is quick it's just he can fold sometimes. At detroit (I think) RHR pressured him into going straight ahead at a corner.

Mildly biased, but Dixon is one obvious candidate who should have been there years ago. His qualy is slightly dodgy now in his old age but he's a better constructor of a race than anyone in indycar and he's held off the likes of Montoya for titles. Frothing to see what happens between he, Newgarden, Rossi, Power and Alonso next year.

Newgarden is very, very good. If he never gets a drive ahead of the pay drivers and grid filler then it will be a shame but I like indycar more anyway so meh.

Wickens also looks excellent, if a bit hyper-aggressive at times. once he chills out he's got indycar titles in him.

it's a shame we'll never see the true best 20 open wheeler drivers in the same race. i might go post that in the facebook F1 comments for my own entertainment.

No arguments here. Would love to see any of them get a chance in a mid-field car but can't see it happening, with the remote possibility of Newgarden. Wickens is reported to have a spinal injury which could make for a long recovery and diminished F1 interest.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 07:58 (Ref:3845129)   #9
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Mildly biased, but Dixon is one obvious candidate
Hartley/Dixon in the Sheepo Rosso/Honda team...
Old 21 Aug 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3845177)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

Imagine Newgarden in the STR?
Old 21 Aug 2018, 15:51 (Ref:3845229)   #11
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Regarding Wickens, he's undergone major back surgery and it's still unknown as to what extent he's other injuries are at this time. Not likely to be doing any racing at all anytime soon
Old 22 Aug 2018, 09:53 (Ref:3845344)   #12
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Regarding Wickens, he's undergone major back surgery and it's still unknown as to what extent he's other injuries are at this time. Not likely to be doing any racing at all anytime soon
That was a HUGE getoff!
Old 22 Aug 2018, 15:04 (Ref:3845398)   #13
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the only way you will see Indycar drivers cross the pond to F1 is if they get the opportunity to join one of the top three teams (which will be down to two teams next season sorry Redbull-Honda) If this opportunity does'nt present itself, then for goodness sake stay in Indycar and enjoy your racing. I would love to see Newgarden in a Mercedes or a Ferrari. Also looking back over the last ten years, i would love to have seen Dixion and Franchitti.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 19:21 (Ref:3845443)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Racing is racing, the thing that matters most in making the switch is preparation, so it won't be like they're thrown in the deep end of the pool and can just hit the ground running.
For the moment I feel Newgarden to be the most prominent candidate for F1 as he's got some pretty good momentum going from being the 2017 Indycar champ.

So yeah, Newgarden seems to be the most obvious bet.
Either Newgarden or Rossi, though recently Rossi has got the edge.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 21:31 (Ref:3845462)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pole2pole View Post
I think the only way you will see Indycar drivers cross the pond to F1 is if they get the opportunity to join one of the top three teams (which will be down to two teams next season sorry Redbull-Honda) If this opportunity does'nt present itself, then for goodness sake stay in Indycar and enjoy your racing. I would love to see Newgarden in a Mercedes or a Ferrari. Also looking back over the last ten years, i would love to have seen Dixion and Franchitti.

Both Dixon and Franchitti have had tests with F1 teams, in fact, Dario came close to a Jaguar seat
Old 22 Aug 2018, 21:36 (Ref:3845465)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Franchitti in a Jag would have been great, even if FMC did end up screwing up the project. Rahal, Newley, Franchitti. Could have been awesome.