Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jul 2013, 23:56 (Ref:3272696)   #1
ottostreet
Rookie

ottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The British GP - A Spectator's Perspective

A writer for our site attended the British GP as a spectator, and has written up a piece on what it's like to attend a race. For anyone who has never attended a race, it's a good read.

Most people in here have probably been to a GP at some point, but it's still an interesting read. The full article with pics and all is here.

I've been going to the Silverstone F1 weekend since the mid 1990's, and in recent years with my cousin Ross. To ensure we get a good spot on Woodlands campsite (which has got VERY busy in previous years) I join other crazy fans in the queue on Tuesday night.

Tuesday: I set off in my camper van to arrive at the circuit (and Woodlands campsite) for 630pm Tuesday evening...Ross joins me in his tent on Thursday. The campsite opens 7am Wednesday, we have all pre booked and I'm not the first in the queue as we back up down the road...but it it noticable that the queue is significantly less than previous years. Other campsites are already open and different nationalities laden with bags of grocery shopping stroll past as they make their way to their site. The queue is friendly and all are seasoned Silverstone veterans...

In previous years, we have been taken and 'stored' on the car park until the site gates open at 7am to prevent the queue interfering with morning traffic. This year, the car park is already occupied by what looks like stacked portacabins, so it as well there are so few caravans etc in the queue as we are taken to park along the entry road over night. The portacabins turn out to be new spectator facilities....from a company called Snoozebox. They are a number of self contained 'pods' with bed & shower (Japanese style) with a facility restaurant and car park. They are at other race tracks including Le Mans and already occupied here- the website does not show prices, so I don't know how it compares with camping....

Wednesday: Site opens at 7 am and we slowly make our way onto the site....we are all relieved that this year the ground is dry and we are not sinking in mud. BUT the toilets have shrunk, the 3 disabled toilet/shower cubilces ( as featured on BBC F1 show) appear to serve the whole site. Just glad I have my own faciilities in the van! As I'm a wheelchair user, I'm in the disabled section and recognise faces from previous years, everyone is friendly and catches up, exchanges news of other races they have attended, swap stories of previous Silverstones etc. I soon make friends with my camping neighbours who go above and beyond the call of duty in helpng me set up camp. It is a lovely sunny day and great to settle down in the sun and watch everyone else arrive.

Thursday: Still dry weather, but the wind is picking up. Suddenly great excitement, the BBC F1 team arrive at our toilet block...DC, EJ, Suzy in 3 wheeler Peel cars, plus camera crew, are having fun trying to access the toilets in the cars. Carnage ensues with DC failing to get the car around the dogleg slope and being forced to get out and physically lift the car around. You can imagine the banter with EJ...then DC had to get back into the car 'Dukes of Hazard' style through the window. It all lasted about 10 minutes before they raced off to film elsewhere.

The clouds started to gather and fortunately my cousin arrived and pitched before the rain started. The we had the dilemma - did we face the trek to the track (with poor Ross pushing my wheelchair) to the Sky F1 show event? Sky had invited all the campers to the Pit Grandstand where they were recording a section for their show and would run the show on the main screen there. It was raining quite heavily - and knowing that the wheelchair spaces are at the very front and so not not covered by the roof, I knew it was not going to be dry, even if there was space. We chickened out and opted to stay dry - just as well as we soon heard that this had been an incredibly popular event with far too many people to fit in the grandstand. But it made for good crowds for the TV.

Friday: Rained all night and still more, but this is nothing for Silverstone veterans. So suitably waterproofed and wellied up, we set off for the track and P1. We decided to watch from the International Stand (opposite the pits) despite the lack of roof as we wanted to see the cars race past the pits. At Silverstone, if you have grandstand tickets, you can use any grandstand seat, but have to use the one you are allocated for the race day. It was very wet with puddles on the track and spray making for poor visibility, so for most of the session, any cars running just did an installation lap so didn't go past our stand ! But the Drivers entertained the crowds by climbing up to the pit wall and waving - the fans appreciated it by clapping and cheering. We also got to see an new track cleaning device - usually it is Marshalls with brooms and the sweeper trucks who run in a figure 8 formation. This year 3 quad bikes appeared, pulling what looked like a mat behind them, as it didn't have a collecting device, I can only assume that it was to sweep clean a line. The last 10 minutes had a sudden surge of activity - the track was soaked and spray from the cars was like a tidal wave.

We then had a couple of hours before the 2nd practice session and Friday (with less people at the track) is ideal to check out the rest of the circuit, see what is about and double check we have got the best vantage point with our Luffield Terrace spot. With race day attracting up to 130,000 people, just walking about can be tricky. A wheelchair, with me using the fold up chair as a Medieval lance at max damage height, can cause chaos ! We did think the track was quieter than usual and were surprised that we couldn't find any merchandise, or promotion stand for the Williams team. They were using their home race to celebrate the 600th race (actually in Germany next week), and although a short film was shown on track screens, there was no other display that we could find. There had also been talk of the race car being covered with the names of the employees, but couldn't see this either and there was no reference to this in race coverage.

P2 was dry and so much more activity. Having seen some 'off road' activity in the F2 practice, we expected some in changing track conditions. However, just the Marussia did a bit of grass rally cross and then Massa had his crash, fortunately just hurting his car and not himself. As the track dried out, so did the racing line and the driving style. As the drivers widened their line so mounting the kerb, you could hear the change in the note of the tyre like a rumble strip.

We watched a bit more non F1 activity and made our way back to the campsite. It was now dry, but the wind had picked up, blowing gusts accross the site. This made what should have been a simple matter of lighting a disposable BBQ into some long drama. It would not light and after much swearing and having also opened and failed to light BBQ number 2, things were looking desperate. Vodka is not as flammable as one would hope in these circumstances, but I was able to 'borrow' some lighter fuel from other campers which worked - very well. It took some time for the resulting flames to die down enough to cook, and Ross did stirling work in preventing the windbreak going up in flames. Our resulting dinner wouldn't have won any awards, but at least was cooked (burnt) very thoroughly so no danger of food poisoning - with only 3 campsite toilets, this would not have been fun!

Saturday: What a difference a day makes. A dry sunny start - still packed wet weather gear in case - and off to the track for P3 and qualifying. A much busier day in terms of crowds, but the general consensus was that it was quieter.....It was known that it was not a sell out as in previous years and fan track chatter was along the following:

a) People had been put off with a combination of last years awful weather and being turned away at arrival

b) The weekend clashed with other events such as Glastonbury, Wimbledon and rugby matches

c) It was easier to get in the circuit due to the extra bus services and park and ride

d) Everything in the past few weeks seemed to have 'free' Silverstone tickets as a prize

We went to our designated stand at Luffield where the breeze sent over the smell of bacon and burgers from the concession stands, the flags and banners were on display. It always amazes me how far and from which countries fans travel to follow this sport - we appear to be a dedicated lot. The support for teams and individual drivers was evenly spread and the crowds are all friendly and chat to complete strangers - it doesn't seem to matter who you support, everyone seems to appreciate a good race and good driving.

P3 was a busy time and Ross got into photographer mode....I tried my best with my camera but took a lot of shots of empty track (where a car had been a few nano seconds previously) and rear wings, but I managed to get a few with a car in shot. As qualifying time started, the professional photographers lined up in front of us, with their huge mega lenses just placed on the dirt floor....definite lens envy. Watching Lewis do that amazing lap time for pole position was amazing and the crowd went mad in reponse...air horns and cheering. The sun's heat was disguised by the breeze and there was a fair amount of reddning flesh on display around by the end of the day. We stayed to watch the Porsche race (which does seem slow after the F1 cars) and then made our way over to the Ezone. There, we watched the amazing cyclists doing jumps and tricks that look impossible, then chilled with beer waiting to meet freinds whilst listening to the bands on the main stage. We all gasped in horror as the screen next to the stage (showing track activity) was replaying a F3 incident where the car completely rolled over - how the driver didn't crush his head was a miracle - a nasty accident but fortunately no injuries. Making our way back to the campsite, we came accross the grid girls practising carrying the national flags whilst trying to walk in very high red heeled shoes. They managed to ignore the whistles and good natured comments shouted from a (mainly male) crowd who had obviously consumed a beer or three!

Sunday: Hooray, race day and a lovely blue sky. Sun cream and hats order of the day. Those with general admission tickets (no allocated seat) often queue to get in at 6am to stake claim to a vantage point. Having the fortunate position of an allocated space, we had a much more relaxed morning, but reached out (now full) stand by 1030am. The Crowd Marshall for our grandstand was close to a nervous breakdown, the sales team ahd forgotton that when re-arranging the stand, it now had 10 fewer places and had sold those 'non existent' 10! It all worked out in the end and our Marshall seemed more relaxed by race start.

Crowd anticipation grew and the Red Arrows soon started - but then had to pause their display. A private light aircarft had 'invaded' Silverstone airspace and had to be ordered away - I wonder if that pilot is hiding somewere in embarrassment at such a faux pas. They soon resumed their display - as excellent as ever. The Drivers parade where they come round the track on a flat bed tuck accompanied by TV crew is a firm favourite - you can see the drivers chatting away to each other away from the TV crew and I would love to hear what they say to each other on this off the record chat.

Then the National Anthem, tune in to Silverstone radio for the on track commentary and GO. I need not go into the race, but the crowd roared their approval as Lewis kept his lead, then gasps of disbelief as the tyres began to explode. Seeing drivers swerving to avoid chunks of track debris then Marshalls running out into race traffic to remove debris is not comfortable. Under the safety car, it was still odd seeing herds of Marshalls picking debris off the track and the sweeper lorries in amongst F1 cars. We saw Vettel double take as he overtook a sweeper lorry - I'm guessing it's not what you expect to encounter on track as an F1 driver. The crowd groaned as Lewis fell victim to tyre issues and I have never (apart from an isolated individual) seen a whole crowd 'boo' a driver as he races on track - but Vettel was boo'd as he went around the track having inherited the lead from Lewis. I don't agree with the boo'ing, but boy, could you feel the dislike for this driver - such a contrast to the reaction to his team mate who is popular throughout the F1 world. Then the crowd clapped and cheered Lewis as he made his way up the grid from the back of the pack.

The crowd cheered as Vettel stopped on track and then anticipation grew as the on track battles intensified. The last few laps were certainly NOT processional. At race finish, the slightly desperate pleadings of the commentary team and on screen warnings 'do not invade the track' proved futile as the crowd surged forward to watch the podium - the track was invaded through many of the gates, so it was fortunate that this year a classic race did not follow the F1 race! We stayed to watch the podium on the screens and then as the crowd dispersed, gradually made our way over to the Ezone where Driver appearances were promised then Eddie Jordan playing until sundown.

The Ezone was packed and Tony Jardine was a good host, entertaining the crowd with his Sir Jacky Stewart impressions. He introduced many guests to the stage including the young upcoming drivers. Then Damon Hill came and chatted to the crowds, then we had some drivers. The Marussia boys came on, Paul Di Resta was cheery on stage and we sang 'Happy Birthday' to Rosberg. He was introduced as 'Silverstone winner' having come from the stewards, so we assumed he maintained his race win. Jardine asked the drivers some very personal questions, but didn't raise the yellow flag question. Nico said that the win was his best birthday present and he wanted to win next week to make it 3 home wins for him (Monaco is where he lives, UK is his team home & Germany his native country). Lewis was upbeat and 'in love' - he asked the crowd what they thought of the tyres and replied 'so do I'. Jenson was remarkably frank about the difficulties of driving a slow car, but told us his Mother just handed him a beer when he walked into the garage post race. He also recounted anecdotes about Perez and team relationships. Webber was due to come on, but being 630pm already, we had to get back and pack up camp and drive home!
Old 2 Jul 2013, 01:32 (Ref:3272714)   #2
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good read! Thanks for that!
Old 3 Jul 2013, 02:40 (Ref:3273181)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
That was fun to read thank you...