Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 5 Sep 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2754881)   #1
Bosse L
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Bosse L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula vee history

After two years nearly without any historic racing at all after Le Mans Classic with the 2-stroke Saab, i have started a new project to restore an old Dolling Formula Vee from 1967. (one of the early Swedish Fvee manufacturers)
Im also try to find out more about the history of this low budget racing class out in europe.
In Scandinavia and the US it was huge at the time. Just in Sweden it was build between 300-400 cars from 1965 to 1972, until the new twin carburettor regualtion was launched. That means that there was far more of this simple single seaters compared to Formula Fords up here.
But how was it at the continent and in Great Britan?
I know there was some Dolling Fvee sold to England at this time.
Approx 5 cars. But I dont know anything about their racing in GB.
Any one here know?

Another interresting question:
In the 1967 season VW promote the Fvee class with put them as a support class in some of the European Formula 1 races.
Even in Monaco GP that year. I have tried to find the results from that event, but whitout any sucess. Can anybody give me some help where to find id?

Any stories and facts of Formula Vee in the sisties will be very appreciated.
Old 10 Sep 2010, 13:13 (Ref:2757262)   #2
ErleMin
Rookie

ErleMin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't in Vee till 1974 but am roughly aware of what went on before. I remember one Dolling, Ian Ferret's pictured in Autosport in a MAWP article about the 750 Motor Club (called “Down at the Club” if I remember).
Not sure that I can dig out results, just personal memories but didn't Vee support the German GP in 1967 with Gunther Huber winning in a Beach? Certainly Monaco with UK representative Nick Brittan not lasting long in a Fuchs.
I'll be brief with potted UK history. Rivals for Vee were strong, not only ‘cos there were (& still are) a tradition of special builders here before Vee started but also expertise was orientated towards the BMC & Ford engines. Most particularly Formula Ford was launched 2 weeks afterwards, promoted by John Webb with the advantage of him owning a number of UK circuits. So Vee was rather second best. VW(GB & Europe) promoted it early on with zonal winners qualifying for a grand final but with the coming of the water-cooled (Golf & Scirocco) cars, VW preferred to leave the Beetle (& Vee) behind. In 1979 Vee turned to the club racing scene and under 750MC it has flourished ever since (less fan, carbs free but with air restrictor, standard gear ratios & control tyre).
I don't know when, but in Germany it transmogrified into a slicks & wings Polo engined formula. They've not so much of a single seater heritage so it survives quite well today despite UK drivers regularly winning their championship in German-spec cars. They have an air-cooled class and UK drivers used to race against them in UK-spec cars as well.
There is a very strong European Vee heritage scene managed by the Historische Formel Vau Europa club - I recommend their website. Also the Dutch HMR club have a class for historic Vees with some Swedes joining in.
Old 11 Sep 2010, 16:06 (Ref:2757718)   #3
Bosse L
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Bosse L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for your memory in briek ErleMin!
Yes, there was a Formula Vee race at the German GP 1967. If i understand it right, there was Formula Vee races in 4 or 5 of the European GP that year. Have seen some photos from the german race, but dont remember where. Thanks also for tip for the web site, lot of useful historical info there.
I have been in contact with HMR as some of my friends regalury race there. But their focus is maybe more on historic racing today rather than the heritage. i will try to look for the Austport articel, doy you when or what year it was published?
Here in Swden it was big until the more tuned twin carburettor come inte 173, after that it started to go down a bit, the cars were more compared to the Formula Fords, and even here the Fords was groving beeter when VW focus was on the watercoolers In clubracing (SSK-serie4s) the were running intil mid 80-ties. first in national Formel 1300 then in Formula 4
(not to camapre with the italian F4 with Mc engineered vars)
But we neve had a modern clubracing class bases on the Fvee regualtion as you have in UK and Ireland. And i know they have in US and Australia for example.
If you want and can live with our ununderstandable language, take a look at www.formelve.se Under "bildarkiv" you find a lot of photos from historic Fvee and the Fvee history in Scandinavia.