Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Jan 2006, 09:46 (Ref:1506497)   #51
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Spot On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuauto
By the way, I guess we should now back off on further speculation and just stand ready to support those directly involved as soon as they ask us to with petitions or whatever.
Specualation NEVER won anything!

Couldn't agree more with the comments of Anuauto.

Let us know as soon as possible of any more progress etc.

Old 22 Jan 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1506523)   #52
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
Gerry, wouldn't those Aintree dices have been on the club circuit? As for Longridge I too have fond memories of standing on the top of the Quarry and watching Angle boxes dicing!
You know Steve, I too really enjoyed LONGRIDGE, even if I did get blown head gaskets at every race, due of course to the bowl it sat in, no air, just solid heat! I have some lovely pic's of that track that someone sent me. As for Aintree I raced there in 1964 and again during my later racing career, er...1970 thru 75. I enjoyed that too. Very happy memories. Now...bring back Crystal Palace. I used to live quite close in those days too, just up the road at Norbury, and as someone has already said on Race Days coming through Streatham you could hear the engines from there.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1508813)   #53
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I presume this BBC report on the consultation programme for Crystal Palace is related:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4643592.stm

I'm particularly impressed that the caravan park "draws international visitors" - how could an historic motorsport event possibly compete with that?
Old 31 Jan 2006, 12:52 (Ref:1512690)   #54
rbm
Racer

rbm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRich
I'm particularly impressed that the caravan park "draws international visitors" - how could an historic motorsport event possibly compete with that?

Oh no we're doomed..........
Old 31 Jan 2006, 15:04 (Ref:1512764)   #55
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
actually the caravan park is doomed!
Old 31 Jan 2006, 17:12 (Ref:1512860)   #56
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
if it was in Greenwich it would be domed!
Old 8 Feb 2006, 13:25 (Ref:1518057)   #57
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are photos of how Crystal Palace is now at the following link:

www.racingcircuits.net/UnitedKingdom/index.html

Scroll down to Crystal Palace and then go on the photo tour link.

It's in better condition than I expected!
Old 8 Feb 2006, 16:04 (Ref:1518147)   #58
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
pics are out of date. been much resurfacing since.

Also note on the pic looking back to New Link you can see where the track is chopped to half width - I reccomend you all buy the book that link - its very good and the author is wonderful.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 16:09 (Ref:1518151)   #59
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
pics are out of date. been much resurfacing since.

Also note on the pic looking back to New Link you can see where the track is chopped to half width - I reccomend you all buy the book that link - its very good and the author is wonderful.

Old 8 Feb 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1518368)   #60
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I raced at the Palace in the early sixty's,fantastic atmosphere like no other track,very demanding track to get right,but getting back to the original question, if you want to get any form of motor sport back there,first get a couple of counsellors on your side,then individualy send in letters of support,a great pile of letters on a desk cuts far more ice than a petition that can easily be discarded to the bin,they have to take notice if there is enough ripples on the water,how to get it going ,that is another matter!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 8 Feb 2006, 22:23 (Ref:1518395)   #61
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Looking at those photos of the place now does anyone really think that racing could ever return there in this day and age, I really doubt it if nothing else it would need a fortune spent on the place, nice idea but is it really going anywhere?

Don't get me wrong I remember the place and would love to see it happen, this picture was my last race there as a spanner man for Nathan Racing, I recognise some of the people around the car, I was probably setting up in the pits, shortly after that shot the oil hose blew off and wrecked the BMW engine and the challenge to the Chevrons. Anyone recognise the tall guy on the right, his name was Nick someone or other and he raced a Mini I believe I think he was reasonably well known, also the littly guy to the left, Davy ????? he went on to work for Guy Edwards I believe.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 22:57 (Ref:1518413)   #62
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
read the first post Al - no-one is trying to get racing back there
Old 8 Feb 2006, 23:02 (Ref:1518416)   #63
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Isn't a sprint still racing even if it is just against the clock, surely the plan is to use the circuit or is it just parts of it?
Old 9 Feb 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1518664)   #64
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just the part used for the sprint previously I think.The Glade section.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 10:42 (Ref:1518688)   #65
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, there is definitely enough tarmac available to hold a sprint once a year, if the powers that be are prepared to allow it. I think that is all Sam and like minded CP enthusiasts are after.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 11:13 (Ref:1518717)   #66
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Al we ran sprints there 1997 - 2000. Our course is still well useable - thats all we want an annual two day event. The residents association are positive about it, the GLA (ken's mob) are for it, the MSA are for it, the clubs are for it, the competitors are desperate for it - and the council will not enter discussion on the subject for reasons unknown.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 16:25 (Ref:1519744)   #67
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
I was going through some old bits and pieces and came across these old photos taken in 1970 & 1971 which show the pit area and control tower by the startline. I take it that these have long disappeared. I also loved the old 1 litre F3's.

They are not particularly good quality as I was a little oik back then and I think all I had was an Instamatic Camera!

Old 10 Feb 2006, 16:54 (Ref:1519769)   #68
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
lovely pics, woulda liked them for the book - yup even the straight has gone
Old 16 Feb 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1524594)   #69
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just out of curiosity, how much of the old circuit is left?

And how's it going with the caaaaahncil? Can't you get Congestion Charge Ken to put in a good word?

Rob.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 21:35 (Ref:1524598)   #70
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'sss ok, I've found the "up to date" pics on the Motor Racing Circuits site.
Silly me, I should have realised.

Rob.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 22:39 (Ref:1524648)   #71
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
caaancil hate ken... he like motorsprot
Old 21 Feb 2006, 20:34 (Ref:1528306)   #72
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
So when's the first sprint in the "town centre" then?
Or the pits complex being built in Hyde Park? Now how about a 1/2mile banked oval with grandstands for 100000 people?

The congestion charge would cover it, surely!

Or would that be asking too much?
Old 1 Mar 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1533898)   #73
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
well - funny you say that...could be some news soon - not crystal palace but up town.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 00:25 (Ref:1544040)   #74
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
What, a 1/2mile banked oval..... like Bristol, TN!????

Rob.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 16:53 (Ref:2280967)   #75
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to todays 'Motorsport News' things are moving on this front.Sprint may return next May.