Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Aug 2012, 11:58 (Ref:3114670)   #1
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The 4th Manufacturer

Interesting times in V8 Supercar Land with Ford and Holden having to share the spoils and the glory from 2013 with not only Nissan but also a 4th manufacturer.

Tony Cochrane has, more or less, confirmed it. Not sure if the Australian motorsport media have explored it - Auto Action and Motorsport News are like rocking horse poo to find in NZ, but it looks set to happen.

Apparently, the 4th manufacturer has been working very hard behind the scenes to get designs and issues sorted and has opted to take the opposite approach to what Nissan and Kelly Racing did by making a splash early in the year, which is a great way to end the speculation and get on with the (major) task at hand.

Much like Nissan, it would seem that the 4th manufacturer will be looking to have a presence on the grid of more than 2 cars, and hopefully 4 cars. This poses some challenges as the likely "available" options are "relatively limited".
The three "likely" candidates are Stone Brothers Racing (3 cars), Brad Jones Racing (3 cars), and Dick Johnson Racing (3 cars it would seem for 2013 as Charlie will take his REC to FPR).

Could we see teams bringing extra cars into the fray to get numbers? Tekno Autosport and Tony D'Alberto Racing have already committed to Triple 8 cars. Is Ford's decision to delay their commitment to team going to work against them yet again (the Triple 8 "Pigs" all over again) with respect to Stone Brothers Racing and DJR (who receive token Ford support allegedly anyway) as 3 + 3 = 6 which is a solid grid presence. It is also a smart way for a new entrant to play the field and spread the risk and will likely be available for less than an FPR or Triple 8-style deal.

Speculation from within "the ranks" suggests that the 4th manufacturer could break cover this weekend as part of a major press release at Queensland Raceway. The reasons for this is the team that seem most likely to partner with is a Queensland-based team, which reduces the chance of a BJR involvement.

Who might the new manufacturer be? An interesting question with plenty of speculation around the traps. However, in all of these scenarios, there are usually clear leaders and the likely candidates seem to have narrowed down to three possibilities: Toyota, Audi, and Hyundai.

Audi have strong links to BJR and have flatly denied it recently, but that counts for not much.

Toyota are spending an epic amount on footie. No idea when that deal is up but that would potentially free up a lot of funds which would work well in V8 Supercars

Hyundai, who are a seemingly unlikely contender, are actually tipped strongly as the likely 4th manufacturer. Based on what they spend on TV advertising in NZ alone, if that is replicated in Australia, then the budget is well and truly there. Given Hyundai's aggressive desire to grow to a dominant position, they seem like the most logical fit.

A 4th, and seemingly rank outsider, is Mercedes, but they don't seem to be a likely contender due to the volume of cars sold in Australia, but never say never.

Further speculation suggests that the likely team to benefit from this additional manufacturer for 2013 and beyond has some REC issues for next season, so this points to DJR.

Only time will tell and it shall be interesting to watch it all play out when it finally does.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 13:01 (Ref:3114702)   #2
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting article there, but I would rather put Toyota as the 4th Manufacturer.

Hyundai will have to grow their beard first before engaging in larger series like V8 Supercars.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 21:00 (Ref:3114913)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
[QUOTE=MagVanisher;3114702]Interesting article there, but I would rather put Toyota as the 4th Manufacturer.

Hyundai will have to grow their beard first before engaging in larger series like V8 Supercarsi think you have just proved why hyundai need to be in v8's

they have sold other 1 million cars in Australia and have been here for 25 years

add to that they are number 4 in Australia, ahead of Ford - 5

Still i would rather Kia made the move
Old 1 Aug 2012, 22:16 (Ref:3114949)   #4
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it is Mercedes who sell about 18000 cars a year here...with the new A Class coming on board next year this will easily surpass 20000 and will nudge 25000.

Also the future line up looks good especially adding AMG to the mix....Australia is on of AMG's biggest markets and has plenty of brand ambasadoors eg Doohan
Old 1 Aug 2012, 22:48 (Ref:3114966)   #5
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So none of you think it's Mazda, even after their reps were giving a grand tour of the facilities at PI this year?

Does Mazda even have a suitable engine?
Old 1 Aug 2012, 22:54 (Ref:3114969)   #6
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Interesting article there, but I would rather put Toyota as the 4th Manufacturer.

Hyundai will have to grow their beard first before engaging in larger series like V8 Supercars.
+ 1
Old 1 Aug 2012, 23:05 (Ref:3114976)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
So none of you think it's Mazda, even after their reps were giving a grand tour of the facilities at PI this year?

Does Mazda even have a suitable engine?
I think it could be mazda (no 3 in vehicle sales) although i would prefer it was kia/hyundai.

Also of note is that this weekend fits in with Skaife's timeline that he mentioned a couple of weeks ago
Old 1 Aug 2012, 23:18 (Ref:3114979)   #8
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not calling any of you out, but why Hyundai/Kia?

I can sorta see it from the pedigree standpoint, with Hyundai Australia's previous involvement in rally, production car racing, and to a much lesser extent, Super Touring.

I don't believe any car manufacturer at this point would want to jump in so late in the game, to get some cars and engines together for the 2013 season, unless of course the ink has dried long ago, and the hard work has already been done (Team, engine, aero)?
Old 1 Aug 2012, 23:43 (Ref:3114992)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

I can sorta see it from the pedigree standpoint, with Hyundai Australia's previous involvement in rally, production car racing, and to a much lesser extent, Super Touring.

I don't believe any car manufacturer at this point would want to jump in so late in the game, to get some cars and engines together for the 2013 season, unless of course the ink has dried long ago, and the hard work has already been done (Team, engine, aero)?
I've mentioned it in the COTF thread, but it seems relevant as part of the discusion.

Take mag vanishers comment as an example, Both Hyundai/Kia have a reputation issue, They are the new kids on the block (although Hyundai has been in Australia 25 years). Yet many Australians look at them as cheap and cheerful/nasty. Yet their cars have moved well past that area.

Many Australians have picked this up, thus hyundai are now number 4 in Australia, but for many people they still look at them the old way.

Being in v8supercars gives an opportunity for Hyundai to promote their brand to those who still look at them the old fashion way and along with some extra funds to have cars at the track so that the attenders can see their product in the flesh would be a good way to achieve the street creed they need.

No arguments with your last comment though
Old 2 Aug 2012, 06:16 (Ref:3115065)   #10
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure who it is - but I would think the most likely would be Hyundai for many reasons:
1. Audi has denied it - and Holden/Ford/Nissan are not their market competitors.
2. Toyota has denied it ad infinitum. They have never shown any interest in V8 Supercars. The change in attitude would be seismic for this to even be considered by them.
3. Hyundai perfectly fits the mould of a company that could benefit from V8s.

Hyundai have overcome their quality issues (much like the Japanese cars did through the 80s), have evolved from an exclusive small-car maker (again like the Japanese cars) and is positioning itself as an alternative family car option - thus putting it head to head against all of the 3 V8S manufacturers, making its fans its preferred target demographic.

It is also developing more sportier models (not just family cars) so a racing program would help lend credibility to this.

It needs to grow its market share and V8s would give it a national platform to do so.

Like I said, I don't know who (if anyone) will be the 4th manufacturer, but for me, it would make the most sense for Hyundai.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 06:33 (Ref:3115067)   #11
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Auto Action this week indicated that the 4th manufacturer might be Mercedes, but there would be no factory involvement.

Mercedes had apparently given permission for their bodyshape to be used, but would have no involvement in the program beyond that.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 06:51 (Ref:3115073)   #12
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah I reckon it is Tata motors entering, and they will form the TATA Australia Racing Team; TART lead by Dick.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 07:04 (Ref:3115078)   #13
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Auto Action this week indicated that the 4th manufacturer might be Mercedes, but there would be no factory involvement.

Mercedes had apparently given permission for their bodyshape to be used, but would have no involvement in the program beyond that.
The noise of today seems to be Europe or Asia. Apparently, the announcement might now be held over until the Sydney Motorsport Park event.

Strategic? Well, who is HQ'ed there?
Old 2 Aug 2012, 07:13 (Ref:3115082)   #14
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
The noise of today seems to be Europe or Asia. Apparently, the announcement might now be held over until the Sydney Motorsport Park event.

Strategic? Well, who is HQ'ed there?
WOW it must be Radical Australia that is joining the V8 circus
Old 2 Aug 2012, 07:17 (Ref:3115083)   #15
Just Do It!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortall View Post
Radical Motorsport - Tim Shadbolt as the team manager.

(Sorry, it's a Kiwi Joke)
Old 2 Aug 2012, 08:03 (Ref:3115100)   #16
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortall View Post
They already have with the new SR8 RX - 2.7L V8 with 320kW and a 1:25sec laptime of SMP
Old 2 Aug 2012, 08:14 (Ref:3115105)   #17
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Radical Motorsport - Tim Shadbolt as the team manager.

(Sorry, it's a Kiwi Joke)
easy enough for him to whip up some concrete, should the car need ballast, but i don't believe the 2.7 V8 the Radical is getting commands the use of ballast in a touring car shell.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 10:43 (Ref:3115177)   #18
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
Nah I reckon it is Tata motors entering, and they will form the TATA Australia Racing Team; TART lead by Dick.
I like it it, I know it speaks volumes about me, I still get a kick out of Ford Australia Racing Team.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 13:02 (Ref:3115243)   #19
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So I guess Hyundai would be the 4th Manufacturer then... Of course, I have to wait for their press conference to confirm it first!
Old 2 Aug 2012, 20:27 (Ref:3115381)   #20
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:

is this a timely release of a new car??
http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/7369...ies-for-export

what better way to market a new sedan with V8 powerplant option, if it's good enough for Nissan, then why not Hyuandai/Kia
Old 3 Aug 2012, 07:03 (Ref:3115490)   #21
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post

what better way to market a new sedan with V8 powerplant option, if it's good enough for Nissan, then why not Hyuandai/Kia
I'm sure its a terrific car and all but a Kia K9?

All thats missing is the "boom - crash" to punctuate the punchline
Old 3 Aug 2012, 07:25 (Ref:3115495)   #22
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
I'm sure its a terrific car and all but a Kia K9?

All thats missing is the "boom - crash" to punctuate the punchline
"The word 'Quoris' conveys solidity"

paint it black then !!
Old 3 Aug 2012, 08:39 (Ref:3115519)   #23
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post

I must admit, it would make a very distinctive looking racecar.
Old 3 Aug 2012, 09:15 (Ref:3115526)   #24
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
So I guess Hyundai would be the 4th Manufacturer then... Of course, I have to wait for their press conference to confirm it first!
Yawn.
Old 3 Aug 2012, 11:07 (Ref:3115554)   #25
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
I must admit, it would make a very distinctive looking racecar.
Read "UGLY!!!!!!!!"