Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 14 Mar 2008, 12:21 (Ref:2151672)   #101
jimmy8v
Rookie

jimmy8v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It also introduced me to very long hours and a bad snap-on habit, that both last to this day.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 13:51 (Ref:2151713)   #102
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy8v
It also introduced me to ........ a bad snap-on habit......., that both last to this day.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 17:40 (Ref:2151814)   #103
Jamesd
Racer

Jamesd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

Thanks will take on what you said.

With my level of experience, do people reckon that there are many jobs for my sort of age and qualification like Junior mechnic or such a job where they can train me up.

Do these jobs exsist.

James
Old 14 Mar 2008, 18:53 (Ref:2151848)   #104
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get a job at any automotive place with in a 45 min commute from where you live.

Save your money, buy a used car and make it work even better then when you bought it. Sell it for more then you paid, and buy another one and do it again.

You have a day job, plus buying fixing and selling older cars. What you dont know YOU WILL LEARN.

That is great experience.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 21:43 (Ref:2151981)   #105
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry dont quite remember what you have learned or what experience you have.

What you consider is an entry level mechanics duties?

Every so often I get young guys coming around looking for mechanic work AT the races I do to.

Well I cant hirer some one just for the races, but when they are willing to learn between the races I will teach them, and pay them something. Not enough to live on, but an ok part time job.

What I show and teach them, in this order:

1. How to properly jack up a car. I am amazed that most ppl do not know how to jack up a car, and put it on 4 jack stands. No I dont have air jacks

2. Then lower the car back down safely.

3. remove and install wheels: - sound simple? NOT Knowing the right tools, and sequence plus proper torque numbers

4. Wheel and tire inspection: Tread depth, sidewall condition and record all this info. Wheel inspection for hair line cracks, wts are they missing?
Cleaning the wheels and tires properly.
Which tires are which? Practice tires, qualification and race tires, and new tires that need one heat cycle for a future race.

5. Brakes: Removing and measuring the brake pads, ( recording information) and replace. Flushing the brake fluid, replacing with new brake fluid.

6. Oil change: Again sounds simple, but then again. Either a dry sump or wet sump sistem with coolers takes a bit of practice to get it right

7. transmission and differential fluid changes. again both have external coolers, soo assuring the right amount without air in the lines, and checking the pumps are pumping the fluid.

Proper disposal of the fluids.

8. Cleaning the car, both inside and out. Replace sponsors decals if needed. Recoding data from In the car.

9. Fueling. Where to get the proper fuel, and how to mix the fuel

10. The trailer and tool box. What is where? and replace as needed for spare parts in the trailer, spare parts boxes and tool box. ( all the tools need to be in their proper places) Check the "little parts" box agains the Trailers Master invintory list. Get and replace little parts as needed.

11. Loading and unloading the car into the trailer. plus car tie down.

12, Documentation of all the above,

If they make it this far, THEN they get to go to the races.

That is what I would consider and entry level GT race car mechanic.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 14 Mar 2008 at 21:47.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 22:07 (Ref:2151997)   #106
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
11. Loading and unloading the car into the trailer. plus car tie down.
That is such an important thing to learn. I know of people who have done it incorrectly and ended up having damage to cars.

Sounds like you have a very good system of teaching/ learning there AU N EGL.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 22:28 (Ref:2152008)   #107
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux
That is such an important thing to learn. I know of people who have done it incorrectly and ended up having damage to cars.

Sounds like you have a very good system of teaching/ learning there AU N EGL.
Thanks. When they make it though that, then they come to the races and testing days. On testing days, I can take them for a ride . . . . . Boy does that make them feel good and give them a HUGE smile. Me too.

My sponsors are ME, Myself, and I ( three different of my business) so I am real careful with my car and equipment.

Last year I had the pleasure of assisting LG in his Speed World GT team at one race, not far from where I live. The Crew chiefs said to me the most dangerous job on the team, is Loading and Unloading the cars from the Hauler.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 14 Mar 2008 at 22:31.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 17:40 (Ref:2240632)   #108
Jamesd
Racer

Hi

Just to let you all know I have just finished the First diploma course with a distinction overall.

Will go on to National diploma and help out with current race teams, including Clio cup and mini challenge

James
Old 30 Jun 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2240644)   #109
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Keep the dream alive James and well done!
Old 30 Jun 2008, 17:59 (Ref:2240645)   #110
Jamesd
Racer

Thanks alot mate