Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 21 Jun 2018, 19:38 (Ref:3832384)   #1401
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Apropos of absolutely nothing that has gone before our local Co-Op store (the larger of the two in the village) has had a recycling section for glass, cardboard, clothes and whatever in a part of the car park next to the store's fenced off delivery area. Must have been there at least 25 years, possibly longer - perhaps 30 years.

This week I noticed that the recycling containers had all been removed and a rather posh wood and black frame sort of log cabin/portakabin office style building had appeared complete with steps/disabled access construction to access the door. The land is not entirely level there so the whole thing is raised above car park tarmac level.

Today I noticed one of those outside advertising poster stand things had been pplaced next to the steps.

If I read the poster correctly (at a distance and assuming it was something related to the new building) it was telling us what the construction was for.

The new location for the Co-Op Funeral Home.

So in effect the planning permission for the recycling area probably still applies ...

The world seems a little stranger to me every day.
Whilst visting Arras Hospital last week I happened to notice the destination board on a departing bus. It was heading for another medical establishment - via the cemetery!

Seemed to me that was in the wrong order...
Old 22 Jun 2018, 06:41 (Ref:3832438)   #1402
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Whilst visting Arras Hospital last week I happened to notice the destination board on a departing bus. It was heading for another medical establishment - via the cemetery!

Seemed to me that was in the wrong order...
Ah! But, John. Why bother the medicos needlessly?
Old 22 Jun 2018, 09:42 (Ref:3832460)   #1403
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Ah! But, John. Why bother the medicos needlessly?
Fortunately, Bob, I don't! Having kept clear of doctors more or less since I left school I've got to the point I'd rather not go in case they find something wrong.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 10:28 (Ref:3832469)   #1404
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Fortunately, Bob, I don't! Having kept clear of doctors more or less since I left school I've got to the point I'd rather not go in case they find something wrong.
I was thinking more of the bus passing the boneyard before the hospital, than your own ox like constitution John!
Old 23 Jun 2018, 08:05 (Ref:3832614)   #1405
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just switched on my computer at work and a little box says its Peter's Birthday.happy Birthday Pete, I hope you are having a nice weekend somewhere in the World.
Old 23 Jun 2018, 10:03 (Ref:3832633)   #1406
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Just switched on my computer at work and a little box says its Peter's Birthday.happy Birthday Pete, I hope you are having a nice weekend somewhere in the World.
Yup, I saw that on another popular media site and wished him the same
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 23 Jun 2018, 20:07 (Ref:3832730)   #1407
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Apropos of absolutely nothing that has gone before our local Co-Op store (the larger of the two in the village) has had a recycling section for glass, cardboard, clothes and whatever in a part of the car park next to the store's fenced off delivery area. Must have been there at least 25 years, possibly longer - perhaps 30 years.

This week I noticed that the recycling containers had all been removed and a rather posh wood and black frame sort of log cabin/portakabin office style building had appeared complete with steps/disabled access construction to access the door. The land is not entirely level there so the whole thing is raised above car park tarmac level.

Today I noticed one of those outside advertising poster stand things had been pplaced next to the steps.

If I read the poster correctly (at a distance and assuming it was something related to the new building) it was telling us what the construction was for.

The new location for the Co-Op Funeral Home.

So in effect the planning permission for the recycling area probably still applies ...

The world seems a little stranger to me every day.
Let's hope that the new venture is not sharing fridges with the Supermarket!

As for recycling, I think i am right in saying that replacement hips etc are made of titanium - after cremation the metal left is recovered and sent to Holland, I believe, to be recycled in to more replacement hips.
Old 23 Jun 2018, 20:21 (Ref:3832735)   #1408
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Let's hope that the new venture is not sharing fridges with the Supermarket!

True. Especially now that all the fridges have doors on them. The curved sliding ones do seem especially difficult to see into due to reflections from the ceiling lights. There could be anything inside and for some of them you would know what until the door is open.
Old 25 Jun 2018, 09:26 (Ref:3832997)   #1409
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Thanks Iain. I can tell you I went to a bar which was raided by the police just as I was leaving. Phew! got away with that one.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 22:48 (Ref:3833697)   #1410
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Thanks Iain. I can tell you I went to a bar which was raided by the police just as I was leaving. Phew! got away with that one.

That's a bit too exciting even for a birthday celebration isn't it Peter?

I assume said bar was not in the UK?
Old 29 Jun 2018, 23:09 (Ref:3833699)   #1411
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

I expect by now everyone has watched the Onboard video from Porsche of the 919 at the 'Ring?

I have read the the car seems to have potential for going a lot faster - quite a way under 5 minutes.

Judging from the video section showing the driver's head bouncing around I somehow doubt a driver would be able to keep up with that pace.

Would an autonomously driven lap record still count?
Old 30 Jun 2018, 05:02 (Ref:3833711)   #1412
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This one isn't a lap record it is a speed record though. The car is not homolgsted and the lap wasn't set in competitiom. That said, as I was reminded, Stefan Bellof's record was set in qualifying.
Old 30 Jun 2018, 08:53 (Ref:3833728)   #1413
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I have read the the car seems to have potential for going a lot faster - quite a way under 5 minutes.

Judging from the video section showing the driver's head bouncing around I somehow doubt a driver would be able to keep up with that pace.

It did appear that he was short shifting most of the time, or at least the electronics were set up that way, and that he was quite circumspect with his braking.

To me, it did seem as though some time could be cut if the car was driven in real anger, provided that the driver could withstand the forces of nature on his body.
Old 30 Jun 2018, 09:51 (Ref:3833741)   #1414
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It did appear that he was short shifting most of the time, or at least the electronics were set up that way, and that he was quite circumspect with his braking.

To me, it did seem as though some time could be cut if the car was driven in real anger, provided that the driver could withstand the forces of nature on his body.

I was wondering about the use of regenerative braking and whether a longer braking time was a benefit.

Apparently the track temperature was quite high by the late morning time of the run. Possibly higher then they may have anticipated. Whether that compromised the run strategy is a question that some have asked.
Old 30 Jun 2018, 09:57 (Ref:3833742)   #1415
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
This one isn't a lap record it is a speed record though. The car is not homolgsted and the lap wasn't set in competitiom. That said, as I was reminded, Stefan Bellof's record was set in qualifying.

True Peter, but then the terminology used by the popular media and the way these attempts are set up seem to have meanings of their own that are nothing much to do with any other form of competition.

And of course the track keeps changing too ....
Old 4 Jul 2018, 06:13 (Ref:3834528)   #1416
bauble
Veteran

England
Good morning everyone!
Old 4 Jul 2018, 06:25 (Ref:3834529)   #1417
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Good morning everyone!
No need to shout! Bonjour mon ami!

Are you going to the Grand Prix, Bob?
Old 4 Jul 2018, 07:48 (Ref:3834533)   #1418
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Morning Bob . I was getting concerned as you had not been on forum . FYI I am getting of ferry at Calais and heading for Le Mans . Just had breakfast in posh resturant . Made even better as Delta son paid . 😀😀😀😀. Will have a look later and see where best to get the quassons from .
Old 4 Jul 2018, 08:26 (Ref:3834540)   #1419
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Morning Bob . I was getting concerned as you had not been on forum . FYI I am getting of ferry at Calais and heading for Le Mans . Just had breakfast in posh resturant . Made even better as Delta son paid . 😀😀😀😀. Will have a look later and see where best to get the quassons from .

No shortage of excellent boulangeries around here, Iain!

Hope you have a successful weekend.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 09:11 (Ref:3834542)   #1420
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Depending on how many miles you like to ride or drive, you have in Le Mans "La tentation", "boulangerie du père pain-pain" or "Richard". Arnage is closer with "Feuillette", "K&J Legras" or "au pain des anges". But in those occasions, you've better to rely on your friends advice… Never believe natives!
Old 4 Jul 2018, 09:12 (Ref:3834543)   #1421
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Good morning, Bauble! Where did you put the carrot?
Old 4 Jul 2018, 09:17 (Ref:3834544)   #1422
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:

No need to shout! Bonjour mon ami!

Are you going to the Grand Prix, Bob?
Well everyone seemed to be asleep, mate.

No GP for the last thee years, my interest in the 'pinnacle of the sport' has diminished to where I take a look to see who is on pole and then to see who won. Since the introduction of windscreens they have taken safety too far. Bunch of whimps, anyway our four time World Champion is a pain in the saddle.

Damn Colombia! Really let us down.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 09:19 (Ref:3834546)   #1423
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Good morning, Bauble! Where did you put the carrot?
Better ask Delta about carrots, I'm no rabbit.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 09:22 (Ref:3834548)   #1424
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Iain I could have been found on a couple of other threads here, adding my two pen'orth of wisdom on certain subjects. You should get out more

Best of luck at Le Mans, haven't been there since 1955 myself, but do say hello to any Morgan drivers and tell them I wish them luck too.

Cheers chuck,

Bob.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 09:32 (Ref:3834553)   #1425
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Well everyone seemed to be asleep, mate.

No GP for the last thee years, my interest in the 'pinnacle of the sport' has diminished to where I take a look to see who is on pole and then to see who won. Since the introduction of windscreens they have taken safety too far. Bunch of whimps, anyway our four time World Champion is a pain in the saddle.

Damn Colombia! Really let us down.
More or less the same opinion although I don't quite agree about the four-times World Champion.

I'm supposed to go on Friday, essentially for a social occasion, but I'm holding out to see what the weather does. 30+ degrees at Silverstone doesn't really appeal to me...
Closed Thread