Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 18 Aug 2009, 20:56 (Ref:2523957)   #51
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
A thick un!
I've got one of them........... .120inch
Old 18 Aug 2009, 21:00 (Ref:2523962)   #52
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Thats thick!
Old 18 Aug 2009, 21:17 (Ref:2523977)   #53
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crikey! I though my 0.051" gaskets were thick! Are you sure that's not for a Dorman Diesel out of a ship?
Old 18 Aug 2009, 21:18 (Ref:2523979)   #54
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
.038 I use.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 21:32 (Ref:2523993)   #55
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think I dare! It had 0.031 when I first had it, but it was built to run on VP-C12 with a little extra, and 29deg advance. Something like 14:1 static compression.
I've dropped it to circa 12:1 static to run happily on superpump with maybe a bit of CVL for safe keeping!

Final parts should be on their way tomorrow and I can get the darned thing back together at last!
Old 18 Aug 2009, 21:43 (Ref:2524001)   #56
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Blimey, I am running about 10.5 to 1 with 38 degrees of advance on this current engine. Look forward to seeing the old girl out again, if I could find away of processing this DVD of it racing I would post it up. Too mean to pay the $30 they want for the program though!
Old 18 Aug 2009, 21:44 (Ref:2524004)   #57
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Ahh but that's a 23deg iron lump is it not?
You know mine a little more hairy!!!
Old 18 Aug 2009, 21:46 (Ref:2524005)   #58
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Mines nothing comapred to yours but as a legal 5.7 litre engine its quite lively, we will see how it goes Saturday at Brands!
Old 20 Aug 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2524851)   #59
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I run 32 degrees, genuine Payen HG's have proved as good as any @ 45 thou and are far more tolerant than multishim posh ones, someone sugest reinz a while back, never tried, don't even know where to get them, Cosworth are good but very expensive and only available stateside for some reason, felpro are ok, ajusa aren't good enough for place mats IMO
Old 20 Aug 2009, 08:31 (Ref:2524866)   #60
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I find Mr. Gasket comp ones good, I used a Felpro blue gasket on the one that failed and it the first time I have ever had a head gasket go on a small block but it may have been for a variety of reasons.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 10:35 (Ref:2524945)   #61
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I think the root of my problem, CR aside, was a seized thermostat in the sandwich plate . . . . another thread
Old 23 Aug 2009, 02:43 (Ref:2526383)   #62
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Just a quick thought I can't really see from the pictures, but is the gasket smaller than the bore or head chamber diameter ? as that will cause the problem even if its only a small amount hanging inside. Has it been rebored ? because if it was marginal on CR before it might push it over the top. Running rich would actually make it run cooler so thats OK.
Get a proper car Tim. not one of these namby pamby lookalikes
That would should up the first time it got a load thagh, frm personal experiance (sadly)
Agree detonation, but the question is when that occured...
Old 23 Aug 2009, 07:13 (Ref:2526437)   #63
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I've had the head skimmed as when I cleaned it I noticed some fret type marks where a couple of the gasket rings were sitting. The head was also badly warped and has now had so much taken off it it'll be junk if it goes again

As for the bores, it looks like something has gone amiss with the boring somewhere along the line as the liners are not perfectly lined up front to back and the gasket is sitting slightly to one side on the rear bore which makes it near enough flush on one side and a few thou to the side on the other.

My new gasket is .120" thick so the CR will be down to around 9.5:1 to 10:1 (allowing for any mis-calculation on my part) and I will be running a vastly retarded ignition compared with before, 29-30 max advance seems to be the general opinion from those that say they know.

Thanks for all the help and I'll keep you posted with updates.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 18:46 (Ref:2539168)   #64
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Update time chaps. I ran it at Thruxton today and it was spot on. Temp never went above 80c and it was quite warm this afternoon, I can't remember a race that it hasn't hovered at at least 100c.
The engine will now rev quite freely and goes straight round to an alarming 6k, it would struggle to get 5K before.
Just to make it perfect I started 12th finished 5th and won my class so a big thanks to all the advice and especially to Jerry K to whom I should have listened too sooner.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2539189)   #65
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Nice one Tim maybe both of our luck has turned. As it happens its odd you say about the running at 80c as thats exactly what my engine is running at and somehow you know its right, btw ignition timing can also have a big influence on how hot the motor runs so it sounds like you have it spot on well done.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 20:06 (Ref:2539222)   #66
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great result Tim,good for you.Bet you can't wait to unleash it around Spa now?
Old 12 Sep 2009, 20:16 (Ref:2539229)   #67
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
Just to make it perfect I started 12th finished 5th and won my class
One in the class again Tim ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Sep 2009, 20:19 (Ref:2539231)   #68
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Don't be mean thats how I generally get my class wins!
Old 12 Sep 2009, 20:23 (Ref:2539235)   #69
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
One in the class again Tim ?
I won a complete challenge series that way, or at least the other bloke never finished a race.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 23:29 (Ref:2539313)   #70
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Anyway Tim I'm glad its all worked out.
While you kids are "aving it large" at Spa I shall unfortunately be having a terrible time trying to walk from my gaff to the beach bar and crawling back ! So have a thought for me
Actually seeing that the beach is only a couple of minutes walk away I shall probably take the Smart Car just in case I am incapable of walking back
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Sep 2009, 07:00 (Ref:2539411)   #71
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Did you ever visit Ascari while you are down there Gordon?
Old 13 Sep 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2539729)   #72
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Did you ever visit Ascari while you are down there Gordon?
No Al its miles from my place even further than Malaga and inland a fair bit. Spain's a big place !
I know one team that use it and they tell me that its as good as you get and is in a beautiful location. It must have cost a fortune to build.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2539822)   #73
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I was down in Al Harin el Grande about 10 miles south of Malaga for a wedding earlier in the year and looked up Ascari and was tempted to go an have a look but it was about 60 miles away up in the mountains.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 06:51 (Ref:2541717)   #74
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
well done TIm

I think CR aside that ignition advance causes as much grief as anything, higher CR wants less.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 12:24 (Ref:2541901)   #75
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
One question, if I were to mix say half and half leaded 4 star with Shell wotsitmax or Tesco 99 would that have a same similar effect as using octane booster? I know leaded 4 star is around 97 octane but I read somewhere that it increases the octane rating when mixing it, I also now understand there is no power increase to be gained just a way of preventing detonation.