Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Jan 2015, 21:53 (Ref:3494245)   #1
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Driver categorisation

I have updated the list I did last year of driver gradings. It is much longer now because it covers ACO, GT3 and IMSA. I'm pretty sure most of it is right, but there may well be some dodgy information in there.
One oddity is that Karun Chandok has been downgraded from Platinum to Gold, which can't be right, surely.
So, if you should be working but would rather waste your time messing about with filters on Excel, follow the link below (hope it works).

http://1drv.ms/1BvnYrx

Movers and shakers:

Gold to Platinum
Kevin Estre
Jann Mardenborough
Martin Plowman
Nick Tandy
Jordan Taylor

Silver to Gold (a selection, potentially significant for crew composition in LMP2 and GTE-Am)
Johnny Adam
Ben Barker
Paul-Loup Chatin
Maurizio Mediani
Christoffer Nygaard
Sean Rayhall
Fernando Rees
Jeffrey Segal
Matthieu Vaxivière
Mirko Venturi

Gold to Silver (potentially significant for crew composition in LMP2 and GTE-Am, although lots of these guys will have been downgraded because of inactivity)
Rui Aguas
Martin Brundle
Andrew Davis
Casper Elgaard
Tommy Erdos
Alain Ferte
Gabriele Gardel
Philip Giebler
Luke Hines
Jonathan Kennard
Jan Lammers
Anthony Lazzaro
Jos Menten
Shogo Misuyama
Fabio Onidi
Darryl O'Young
Harold Primat (got to be useful to someone)
Lionel Robert
Boris Said
Stephen Simpson
Tim Sugden

Other thoughts
SMP will have 3 Platinums to share between their two cars: Minassian, Salo and Aleshin, which means two Platinums in one car with a Silver or a Bronze.
Strakka will have their usual line up of two Platinums and a Silver.
ESM have two Platinums (Ryan Dalziel and Scott Sharp). Not sure if they will split them across the two cars.
Old 19 Jan 2015, 21:59 (Ref:3494251)   #2
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Thanks for the analysis.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 00:22 (Ref:3494305)   #3
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Lots of the 'gold' to 'silver' are age related too, I believe.

Some really good ones there though, Primat is a good spot and could be highly sought after.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 02:59 (Ref:3494341)   #4
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That silver to gold transition is a real killer. It could end the career of Sean Rayhall and at least stall the guys who don't have funding.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 12:20 (Ref:3494433)   #5
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Thanks for this Mike.

Quite a few Silver -> Gold that perhaps have been in the wings for a while (Mies, Mediani, Nygaard, Chatin, Palttala, Rugolo, etc.) That's another 10-15 very good drivers that will be fighting for pro seats. On the other side Primat, Hines, Onidi, O'Young all just became that much more valuable.

Just to make sure, are the "new" drivers all previously unrated? I'm not sure that Rob Barff has only just appeared on the ratings, and at Silver as well. Tom Dillmann also stands out but I get the feeling Signatech are already on the case ...
Old 20 Jan 2015, 12:33 (Ref:3494439)   #6
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Thanks for this Mike.

Quite a few Silver -> Gold that perhaps have been in the wings for a while (Mies, Mediani, Nygaard, Chatin, Palttala, Rugolo, etc.) That's another 10-15 very good drivers that will be fighting for pro seats. On the other side Primat, Hines, Onidi, O'Young all just became that much more valuable.

Just to make sure, are the "new" drivers all previously unrated? I'm not sure that Rob Barff has only just appeared on the ratings, and at Silver as well. Tom Dillmann also stands out but I get the feeling Signatech are already on the case ...
Yes, 'new' means not on the previous year's classification. I agree some of them are surprising but there it is. It's possible that later editions of the list included some drivers that were not on the list I used, eg not on the list in April 2014, but included in a revised list in August or something.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 15:13 (Ref:3494469)   #7
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jeff Segal, Boris Said, Harold Primat? Scoop them up quick. Christoffer Nygaard, Sean Rayhall—possibly very important for some teams but these are very good drivers—can't complain. Jordan Taylor? Interesting. I need to check what level his brother is.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 15:41 (Ref:3494483)   #8
Mike E
Veteran

Ricky is a Gold.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 16:32 (Ref:3494507)   #9
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Tom Dillmann also stands out but I get the feeling Signatech are already on the case ...
I posted about him in the ELMS thread a while back but for me Dillmann is the stand-out silver driver. He'd be a great replacement for Chatin in the silver slot.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 16:50 (Ref:3494514)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
rumour mongerers in the single seater forum have dillmann in formula renault 3.5 this season, fwiw. you couldn't do a dual campaign with that and elms due to a couple of clashes, but wec might work skipping the wsr hungary round for le mans.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 17:10 (Ref:3494522)   #11
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
rumour mongerers in the single seater forum have dillmann in formula renault 3.5 this season, fwiw. you couldn't do a dual campaign with that and elms due to a couple of clashes, but wec might work skipping the wsr hungary round for le mans.
Ahh - that could scupper it.

There's a test day clash too with WSR. I don't think he has his "rookie laps", even though he was pounding round in the Supercup race last year. Being a silver he can't take advantage of the new platinum role and skip it.

What he thinks he'll achieve in WSR I'm not sure...
Old 20 Jan 2015, 17:37 (Ref:3494529)   #12
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Vaxiviere made it work for the most part.
No real reason to think Dillmann couldn't do the same.
A clash is just a clash, easy enough to hire someone else for a race.
Lord knows there will be far more drivers than seats left over when the music stops.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 18:07 (Ref:3494535)   #13
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
but wec might work skipping the wsr hungary round for le mans.
This happens a lot of the time anyway for Le Mans so I wouldn't be surprised if Dillmann does double up and skips the WSR Hungary round. There's more than a few good silvers to go around those spare seats.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 20:42 (Ref:3494592)   #14
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Jeff Segal, Boris Said, Harold Primat? Scoop them up quick.
Primat is slower than a good bronze driver these days. His 2014 Blancpain campaign was very very bad.
Old 20 Jan 2015, 20:46 (Ref:3494595)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting stuff - thanks a lot Mike
Old 21 Jan 2015, 11:55 (Ref:3494759)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
What he thinks he'll achieve in WSR I'm not sure...
he's competing under the jagonya ayam banner with sean gelael, so it's funded by gelael's old man. free drive
Quote:
This happens a lot of the time anyway for Le Mans so I wouldn't be surprised if Dillmann does double up and skips the WSR Hungary round. There's more than a few good silvers to go around those spare seats.
he'd also need to miss at least one day of the 2 day spa round to do the le mans test. so if he was presenting with a championship challenge already early in the season (entirely possible, the field's going to be a bit thin this year) i would imagine it wouldn't be as simple a decision as you think.

last year there were a total of 3 clashes between elms, le mans and formula renault 3.5 (spa wsr & le mans test, hungary wsr and paul ricard elms and estoril elms and jerez wsr). this year there's the hungarian one i pointed out before, the test day and the estoril/jerez one again too. in theory you could actually do half the jerez wsr meeting (friday and saturday) and all of the important bits of the estoril one on sunday. another example of combining the two is oli webb - he started off the season doing 3.5 alongside elms, then gave up after the monaco round to "focus" on elms. i think dillmann is more able than both him and vaxiviere though.

it's all hypothetical anyway. but i think 3.5 and elms lmp2 are a very natural combination for a driver with a bit of backing looking to multitask, establish a good reputation in sportscars and gain some experience.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 11:27 (Ref:3506608)   #17
Mike E
Veteran

Link to the updated list, as at 17 Feb. Notable additions are Michael Christensen (Platinum) and Marco Sorensen (Gold).

http://1drv.ms/1w0h4Jz
Old 19 Feb 2015, 18:41 (Ref:3506742)   #18
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Cheers, always appreciated, I do like to keep this handy. You know, for when I win the lottery and need an 'am' co-driver. Or something like that.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 19:09 (Ref:3506745)   #19
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In related news, if one hasn't heard, FIA does charge you a fee to have your rating re-evaluated.
Old 19 Feb 2015, 19:27 (Ref:3506753)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Lots of the 'gold' to 'silver' are age related too, I believe.
It's getting a long time from those Le Mans wins for some of them.
Everyone feel old?!
Old 19 Feb 2015, 21:06 (Ref:3506791)   #21
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Cheers, always appreciated, I do like to keep this handy. You know, for when I win the lottery and need an 'am' co-driver. Or something like that.
You mean when you win the lottery and need a pro co-driver, presumably?
Old 19 Feb 2015, 22:18 (Ref:3506830)   #22
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
You mean when you win the lottery and need a pro co-driver, presumably?
I think he means he would be running the team, not driving?
Old 9 Mar 2015, 22:22 (Ref:3513475)   #23
Mike E
Veteran

http://1drv.ms/1KNd6uk

Some random Bronze and Silver updates, and Gordon Shedden's Gold.
Old 9 Mar 2015, 22:26 (Ref:3513476)   #24
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Gordon Shedden's Gold.
Hmm, so the FIA doesn't buy into the fiction of Dynamics being a Honda factory team? Because if they did, he'd have to be platinum, I think.
Old 9 Mar 2015, 22:31 (Ref:3513477)   #25
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Hmm, so the FIA doesn't buy into the fiction of Dynamics being a Honda factory team? Because if they did, he'd have to be platinum, I think.
Maybe. The criteria are very much focused on sportscars and single seaters, but there are these two provisions:
1) has been a Works Driver, paid by a car manufacturer, with results to match
2) is a driver whose performances and achievements, despite not being covered by one of the definitions above, may be considered as Platinum by the FIA