Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 24 Jul 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1362239)   #1
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tesco fuel

Tesco are now selling 99 octane petrol. Now that is one up from Optimax at 98, does it automatically follow that the 99 is better than the 98 or does Shell have magic ingredients.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 19:10 (Ref:1362244)   #2
Mike Holmes
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Mike Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are they now, that's interesting cos I like a great many other racers use optimax with Millers CVL which is supposed to bring it back to the old 5 star rating. If anyone knows the answer I would be very interested as well!
Old 24 Jul 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1362250)   #3
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the British/EN standard on the pumps?

Tesco were working with Greenergy who supply Bioethanol-blend fuels with up to 5% Bioethanol. And Bioethanol can boost the octane rating of the fuel.

One word of caution. If you leave it to stand, the ethanol separates and drops to the bottom of the tank. Ethanol eats conventional fuel lines, o-ring seals, etc.. See ATL's site for advice when using such fuels in their fuel cells.

And isn't adding octane boosters to fuel still illegal? I know that Millers put a little bit of FIA blurb on their site relating to CVL, but I bet if you were found to be using it, you'd be hung out to dry!!

Like people who used to add toluene to fuel in recent years....

I'd be interested to see the BS/EN numbers for the fuel first before using it. And from past experience with Tesco's petrol, I think I'll leave it in their tanks, and let the Barryboys use it in the 1.2 Clio's with big wheels and big subwoofers.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1362305)   #4
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I recently used this fuel in an Alfa Romeo 24V 3 litre engine and did a before and after test with a Superchip in the ECU, on Superchip dealer's rolling road. The extra ignition advance the fuel allowed before knock gave an extra 10 bhp at the flywheel (before 239 bhp after 249 bhp). Interestingly the Superchip gave NO extra power on standard fuel - which is what prompted me to re-fill the tank with 99 octane. I did not do a back-to-back test with Optimax - so don't ask!

Fact, not fiction. However, this was 1 tank of fuel, not an elaborate, thorough, scientific test.

However, the BS standards are on the Tesco pumps and if Tesco 'cheat' they could be in for a hell of an expensive legal situation - so why woukld they risk it?
Old 24 Jul 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1362381)   #5
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldnt use that all the time. I fill it up say once every four tanks to flush it.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 07:50 (Ref:1362599)   #6
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_sykes
I wouldnt use that all the time. I fill it up say once every four tanks to flush it.
Sorry, I'm not clear. What wouldn't you use all the time?
Old 25 Jul 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1362939)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Also if you buy over fifty quids worth of groceries they often have an offer on and knock a further 5p off a litre, way to go!
Old 25 Jul 2005, 14:07 (Ref:1362973)   #8
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
And isn't adding octane boosters to fuel still illegal? I know that Millers put a little bit of FIA blurb on their site relating to CVL, but I bet if you were found to be using it, you'd be hung out to dry!!
Covered in the MSA Blue Book for the UK - allowed to the levels quoted (although they managed to screw it up the first year they were belatedly forced to allow it).
The Tesco 99RON is at 12 locations all in the south east and will be dropped if no one buys enough. Aren't Shell supposed to be introducing 100RON called VPower?
Old 25 Jul 2005, 14:53 (Ref:1362999)   #9
Timbo
Rookie

Italy
Bolton
Timbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuauto
The Tesco 99RON is at 12 locations all in the south east and will be dropped if no one buys enough.
Well I've done my bit today, I bought a couple of jerry cans full for the weekend.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 20:33 (Ref:1363226)   #10
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
Tesco pump gives BS 7800 and states quite clearly 99 octane. Back to original question or something similar. Will the 99 give more power than the 98 without resetting ecu etc?

Fuel price is 91.9 per litre by the way, 4p cheaper than Optimax from my local Shell station.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1363230)   #11
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
no chance of the Oban Tesco getting it then
Old 25 Jul 2005, 21:23 (Ref:1363290)   #12
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Gore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anuauto - do you know which 12 Tesco stations stocking the stuff?
Old 25 Jul 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1363301)   #13
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there was a website with them all on, but i hear the fuel has alot of additives into make it 99ron if thats true or not i dont know !!
Old 26 Jul 2005, 08:18 (Ref:1363541)   #14
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
I am sure Optimax has additives too, though. All fuels do. I wote to Tesco Customer Services to ask them what I think are some important questions:

1) Does their fuel always come from one refining company
2) Does the fuel have the same 'blend' of additives, all the time and at all outlets
3) If the product is rolled out across the nation, will the answer to the above questions still be 'yes'

They wouldn't give me an answer - against company policy apparently. I would certainly race with it if and use it in my road going Alfa I knew the answers to the above questions was positive. I urged them to be more open about their 99 ron fuel in publicity as if people (like us) were confident in it they would outsell Optimax I am certain - 1 more octane and at a great price - why not? The only 'why not' is the uncertainty about the fuel.

Anyone fancy stalking some Tesco tankers to see where they fill up?
Old 26 Jul 2005, 10:50 (Ref:1363648)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
regardless of refinery (Tesco will always shop around) the fuel must be made to the same standard ?

CVL is permitted for FiA in the touring cars I think, I know Top Hats a law unto itself, but we're using a 50/50 mix of optimax and leaded 6RSR from Sunoco :-)
Old 26 Jul 2005, 10:58 (Ref:1363654)   #16
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wouldn't the Ethanol raise fuel consumption?
Old 26 Jul 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1363655)   #17
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
regardless of refinery (Tesco will always shop around) the fuel must be made to the same standard ?
Yes of course it must always meet the BS standard, but from what I understand this can be achieved with different combinations and levels of additives. I think what we would all find desirable is a 'constant' blend (or at least our ECU's, injectors, valves, plugs and pistons would!)
Old 26 Jul 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1363746)   #18
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tesco state 99 octane but isnt Shell and BP advertise there fuel as 97/98 RON. Are these the same classification?
Old 26 Jul 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1363822)   #19
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner
Tesco state 99 octane but isnt Shell and BP advertise there fuel as 97/98 RON. Are these the same classification?
RON stands for Research Octane Number, which specifies the method used to test the octane number of the fuel. All UK octane numbers are RON values.
Old 26 Jul 2005, 16:28 (Ref:1363898)   #20
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore
Anuauto - do you know which 12 Tesco stations stocking the stuff?
I've seen it on a web site (I dont think it was Tesco's). You can probably find it more quickly than I could re-find and post. Sevenoaks/Riverhead and Ramsgate/Manston were 2.
Old 26 Jul 2005, 16:51 (Ref:1363922)   #21
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Tesco buy their fuel on teh spot market from whta I have been told. In theory it could have come from anywhere...
Old 26 Jul 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1363923)   #22
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by imull
Tesco buy their fuel on teh spot market from whta I have been told. In theory it could have come from anywhere...
I'd agree that seems most probable - but is 99 octane readily available on the spot market?
Old 26 Jul 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1363936)   #23
Timbo
Rookie

Italy
Bolton
Timbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
99 OCTANE STORES:
Beford 1
Cheshunt Extra
Crawley Hazelwick
Gallions Reach Extra
Gillingham Kent
Lakeside Extra
Ramsgate Manston
Salisbury 2
Sandhurst Extra
Sevenoaks Riverhead
Stevenage Extra
Winchester

Taken from another forum so it be out of date.
Old 26 Jul 2005, 19:03 (Ref:1364014)   #24
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
Definitely dispensing 99 at Crawley.
Old 26 Jul 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1364026)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
What about Watford!