England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Watford?
Old 27 Jul 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1364482)   #27
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
rats . .I used to work in Crawley . . . who in Gillingham would want 99 octane . . . I suppose it would burn out the old Cavalier/sierra a bit quicker and therefore destroy the evidence before the old Bill turn up
Old 30 Jul 2005, 07:34 (Ref:1367073)   #28
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Wouldn't the Ethanol raise fuel consumption?
Yes it would, as the calorific value of bio-ethanol is lower than that of gasoline.

Obviously, the more ethanol is in the blend, the lower the overall calorific value of that blend.

As you increase the ethanol content, the octane number rises.

As I understand the way it happens.. they buy basic 95RON unleaded "gasoline" on the spot market. You then apply additives to make up the type of fuel that you want, octane enhancers (used to be Toluene, Benzine, these days it can be ethanol), lead, lead substitute, cleaning additives, etc...

I've seen them at the fuel depots, with shell tankers filling up behind tesco ones, etc... they pull out a 5 gallon can of additives, pour that into the tank, and then fill (or vice versa).

There are some sites on the internurd that explain the process. Too much to post here.

Rob.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 14:30 (Ref:1369222)   #29
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
quick question regarding the refinery comments. I'm not really up on my hydrocarbon chemistry but it seems even if i buy gas at the same pump from the same station in the same octane...week in week out it seems different, could i buy a very large amount like 200 gallons at once to allow me to tune on it. I am stateside and we only can actuallly get 100 octane at a local station but it really does seem different like runs different week to week. does gas deteriorate quickly ( i know it does eventually) if so how fast and can it be prevented
Old 2 Aug 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1370066)   #30
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I would expect ambient weather conditions to habve more of an effect on your engine performance than any fuel irregularities, that and the condition of the transportation tanks.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 12:51 (Ref:1370111)   #31
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At our Tesco they tell me the fuel comes from the Texaco network.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1371033)   #32
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTH
At our Tesco they tell me the fuel comes from the Texaco network.
Whatever that means!
Old 3 Aug 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1371046)   #33
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
Whatever that means!
It means it's the same big tank at Purfleet that all the petrol for all the other supermarkets and garages come from.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1371231)   #34
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
It means it's the same big tank at Purfleet that all the petrol for all the other supermarkets and garages come from.
So all we need to do is get hold of some of the magic Tesco 'top-up' liquid that they use then! Who brews that, I wonder?
Old 3 Aug 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1371362)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Tesco don't do Super Unleaded. For anything other than 95 ron I suggest you use either Shell Optimax or BP *whatever*.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 21:40 (Ref:1371423)   #36
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Tesco don't do Super Unleaded. For anything other than 95 ron I suggest you use either Shell Optimax or BP *whatever*.
EH??
I thought that was the whole point of this thread - back to Post 1 -
"Tesco are now selling 99 octane petrol. Now that is one up from Optimax at 98, "
or am I missing summat as usual?
Old 4 Aug 2005, 04:00 (Ref:1371583)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah apologies.
Old 6 Aug 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1373926)   #38
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Just been into Tesco Watford and they are doing the 99 Octane stuff. 90.9p a litre and often special offers of 5p a litre off when you do yer food shopping in the store, how bad.
Old 6 Aug 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1373947)   #39
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey, that's the same price as my local BP charges for 95RON. I'll be sending the wife shopping at Tesco's in Watford, with a couple of Jerry Cans in the boot!!
Old 6 Aug 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1373969)   #40
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Funny enough Watford is one of the cheapest places around to buy fuel, I think it is because there are two major super stores, Tescos and Sainsburys plying for trade and no less than three different forecourts within a few hundred yards of the Siansburys site.

Actually if anyone is interested the Tesco superstore is very easily accessable from Junction 5 of the M1 (just south of the M25), just a couple of miles of traffic free dual carriage way and you are there. It is open 24/7 so very convientiant to top up on your way to any tracks going via the M1/M25
Old 6 Aug 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1373997)   #41
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
rats . .I used to work in Crawley . . . who in Gillingham would want 99 octane . . . I suppose it would burn out the old Cavalier/sierra a bit quicker and therefore destroy the evidence before the old Bill turn up
Sorry; this made me chuckle! You obviously live in Surbiton..
Old 6 Aug 2005, 23:35 (Ref:1374053)   #42
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im going to shell from now on.

They got a little scheme up and a rewards card.

Remeber Esso used to do this years ago
Old 7 Aug 2005, 12:27 (Ref:1374271)   #43
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Oh you get Club Card points on your purchase at Tesco as well as an added bonus.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 15:31 (Ref:1374347)   #44
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
This is my Tesco Clubcard. It say's a lot about me, what about you?
Old 7 Aug 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1374390)   #45
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
Club cards for women
Old 7 Aug 2005, 17:40 (Ref:1374391)   #46
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
What? You mean the more points I get the more women I get? In that case.............................................
Old 7 Aug 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1374424)   #47
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_sykes
Club cards for women
Oh you macho lot, I have you know I do the food shop in my family if I don't we don't eat and anyhow thay sell a lot more than food these days!
Old 7 Aug 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1374440)   #48
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk

Yeah but shell points only go towards car bits

See where I am going
Old 7 Aug 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1374452)   #49
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well they do quite a bit of car stuff in their now, only polishes and oils, antifreeze etc but quite a range. Mind you waht don't the buggars sell these days.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1446312)   #50
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The super unleaded 99 octane petrol test sites have done their job and Tesco now plan to supply over 100 petrol stations.

The fuel is supplied by Greenergy and is typically blended with 5% bioethanol which gives lower CO2 emissions.