Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 15 May 2006, 19:40 (Ref:1610912)   #51
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great set-up hooked - got to be the next best thing to being there....
Old 16 May 2006, 09:37 (Ref:1611364)   #52
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
I was just browsing Planet Lemans and see that Motors TV have announced further Le Mans programmes for the month of May starting in less than an hour with the Porsche v Jaguar battle of 1988.

Details here on Planet LeMans.
Is anyone else slightly perplexed by Motor's choice of "classic" Le Mans to revisit. 1988 was fair enough - especially to see the contemporary commentary which showed how well Jag concealed Lammers' gearbox problem - from the coverage it looked as though it was running like a train; but 1993 seemed a bit odd as a choice and why 1998 - I'd have plumped for '91 and '95 before either of these two.
Old 16 May 2006, 10:17 (Ref:1611396)   #53
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge
Is anyone else slightly perplexed by Motor's choice of "classic" Le Mans to revisit. 1988 was fair enough - especially to see the contemporary commentary which showed how well Jag concealed Lammers' gearbox problem - from the coverage it looked as though it was running like a train; but 1993 seemed a bit odd as a choice and why 1998 - I'd have plumped for '91 and '95 before either of these two.
I hadn't picked up on that, but you're right. They clearly decided to show 1988 (understandably) and then, rather than researching their subject, came up with the bright idea of simply leaving a five year gap between the races they subsequently broadcast (1988/1993/1998/2003).
Old 16 May 2006, 10:53 (Ref:1611413)   #54
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
93 was a great year - those 905s and TS010s are sadly missed - by me at least. Fabulous cars. I could listen to the wail from that Toyota all day...... But I'd definitely agree with 95.
Old 16 May 2006, 16:13 (Ref:1611626)   #55
hooked
Rookie

England
Sussex, UK
hooked should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Bernie for suggestion, all in hand. Steve Mcqueen, ACO videos transferred to dvd, golden earing, etc all arranged. Today I heard we may have a 50" widescreen in the shed, depending on weather / insurance. Do SpeedTV broadcast nicam, can I set up 5.1, only joking. I have completely come out of depression and I am getting very nervous / excited as I was before, prior to actually going.
To all us unfortunates not able to go, set up a LM party!!!! It could become a national event.
In spite of negotiations, GOD HELP MY NEIGHBOURS
Old 16 May 2006, 17:46 (Ref:1611688)   #56
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
93 was a great year - those 905s and TS010s are sadly missed - by me at least. Fabulous cars. I could listen to the wail from that Toyota all day...... But I'd definitely agree with 95.
I too ejoyed '93. Odd really because superficially it didnt have the manufacturers that I wanted. Still those cars won me round - fantastic looking prototypes. We've not seen a prototype as good since, I think.
Old 16 May 2006, 20:31 (Ref:1611843)   #57
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
We've not seen a prototype as good since, I think.

In a way, on looks, I liken those TS010s to the Porsche 917s - really brutish yet at the same time - beautiful.

Lovely TS010s
Old 16 May 2006, 21:43 (Ref:1611915)   #58
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thoroughly enjoy watching any Le Mans.

However I particularly enjoyed watching the 1993 feature the other day.....F1-like engines, great looking cars, perfect weather, a fairly decent battle. Only wished it was more than an hour.

Just gonna watch the 1998 show now...
Old 17 May 2006, 08:59 (Ref:1612369)   #59
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Just gonna watch the 1998 show now...
Surprisingly good - just goes to show how much I'd forgotten about that particular race - that said, it was in an era when I'd no access to satellite channels, so perhaps unsurprising I didn't pick up on it that much. In particular looking at the Porsche/Mercedes/Toyota/Nissan approaches to design etc was great to look at.

Not entirely sure why Lord Haw Haw was doing the commentary though!
Old 17 May 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1612494)   #60
Anorak
Rookie

Anorak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge
Not entirely sure why Lord Haw Haw was doing the commentary though!
Taking a guess here isynge, as I didn't see the show, but it was probably Christopher Tate. Anyone confirm?
Old 18 May 2006, 16:47 (Ref:1613595)   #61
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I just hope they won't only show us Audi and Pescas and maybe Corvettes and Astons. I'd like to see all classes, all cars. And it'd be good to have a rolling leaderboard on top of the screen so you don't have to wait 10 minutes to see the top 6 or go and check live timing on Internet.
Old 21 May 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1615660)   #62
russ250575
Racer

England
England,Milton Keynes
russ250575 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a person who wont be making the trip to Le Mans I guess i really shouldn't moan about this. but i Really hope the commentry teams for LM are better than the ones we have had so far this season on ALMS and LMS. At times they have been so off whats going on they could almost be watching a different race. and these are shorter race's what are they going to be saying 18 hours into a race.
Old 21 May 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1615711)   #63
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, I share the same hope.

I beg for Martin Haven and David Leslie, personally.

I also hope the picture quality is better than Motors' usual standard, although I guess I should be grateful for such extensive coverage and should shut my mouth.
Old 21 May 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1615721)   #64
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess some people are never happy, ain't that right knowlesy
Old 21 May 2006, 18:06 (Ref:1615726)   #65
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I don't know what you mean!
Old 21 May 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1615811)   #66
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ250575
As a person who wont be making the trip to Le Mans I guess i really shouldn't moan about this. but i Really hope the commentry teams for LM are better than the ones we have had so far this season on ALMS and LMS. At times they have been so off whats going on they could almost be watching a different race. and these are shorter race's what are they going to be saying 18 hours into a race.

Just listen to Trussers........
Old 22 May 2006, 07:28 (Ref:1616025)   #67
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I also hope the picture quality is better than Motors' usual standard.....
Picture quality is usually top notch and there's a lot of effort being put in this year.
From the Lemans.org website:

Unprecedented TV coverage
The SSP ACO (producer), Interface Sport (assistant producer) and Visual TV (technology) will have the following equipment and personnel on hand to feed images to Canal +, Motors TV and TV Channels all over the world for unprecedented TV coverage...

...IMPRESSIVE TECHNICAL EQUIPMENT

5 outside broadcast vehicles
- 1 outside broadcast vehicle (control centre) located in the TV compound directing the international signal sent to all the broadcasters.
- 1 outside broadcast vehicle to receive and then distribute the signals sent to the TV channels.
- 3 outside broadcast vehicles at strategic points on the circuit: Mulsanne, Arnage and the Bugatti circuit.

26 cameras
- A total of 26 cameras located in the various sectors of the circuit:
OB vehicle Bugatti: 12 cameras + 3 HF cameras in the pits
OB vehicle Mulsanne: 6 cameras
OB vehicle Arnage: 5 cameras

10 on-board cameras
5 cars with 2 on-board cameras to send images and sound to the central reception area by an airborne relay plus an outside broadcast vehicle to catch the signal.

Balloon
For the first time in the 24 Hours a stationary balloon fitted with a close-up camera will film unusual shots from 50 metres altitude.

…LARGE CREW

8 directors + 2 news editors

180 TV engineers

…INNOVATIONS

Coverage of both the Wednesday and Thursday practice sessions from the Porsche corner to Tertre Rouge.

A stationary balloon with a 3D head and a video camera providing unusual images.

The TV coverage of the Le Mans 24 Hours will be available on 2 different signals. : the international signal for worldwide broadcasting and the private signal for broadcasting within the circuit perimeter (giant screen, press room).
Old 22 May 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1616083)   #68
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Only 5 cars have on-board cameras?

Right, some people are never happy...
Old 22 May 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1616244)   #69
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
10 on-board cameras
5 cars with 2 on-board cameras to send images and sound to the central reception area by an airborne relay plus an outside broadcast vehicle to catch the signal.
Which five? (who's below the weight limit? )
Where will the cameras be mounted?
The Audis had them at Sebring, amonst others.
Old 22 May 2006, 13:02 (Ref:1616271)   #70
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
They were going to put one on a Debora, had it entered. They said it would avoid having to film any slow-mo.........
Old 22 May 2006, 14:29 (Ref:1616342)   #71
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
I hope Corvette gets one and we'll get to hear hours of V8 roaring.
Old 22 May 2006, 20:30 (Ref:1616604)   #72
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Last year they were on the Corvette's, the Pescarolo's and an Audi I think.....amongst others no doubt. I liked the Pescarolo onboard best, but then I'm biased in that respect.

I expect much the same this year.
Old 22 May 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1616623)   #73
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
…INNOVATIONS

Coverage of both the Wednesday and Thursday practice sessions from the Porsche corner to Tertre Rouge.
I hope this means we'll also get coverage of qualifying on the big screens at the circuit this year..........
Old 22 May 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1616634)   #74
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Picture quality is usually top notch
Yes, but it has been on Eurosport usually, which is always excellent quality picture.

Motors has a bit of a rubbish bit-rate at times. Evidence? Flick between ITV and Motors during live BTCC coverage.

However, I'm sure they'll sort it out for Le Mans!
Old 22 May 2006, 21:30 (Ref:1616652)   #75
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Motors has a bit of a rubbish bit-rate at times. Evidence? Flick between ITV and Motors during live BTCC coverage.
I'm with you now, I was simply reflecting on the picture quality of the recordings taken from the Eurosport coverage which I watch when I get back home to blighty. I take your point, and yes, let's hope Motors do improve the quality for Le Mans.