Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Feb 2019, 19:17 (Ref:3887389)   #201
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
second shunt in as many weeks.
Old 1 Mar 2019, 03:26 (Ref:3887447)   #202
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
The gravel traps and their preparation seems to have been degraded to the point where all you have is a gravel road leading into the outside wall.
Old 1 Mar 2019, 07:53 (Ref:3887478)   #203
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both crashes were high speed. With Gasly's crash if you had had the classic grated preparation of the trap, the car would likely have flipped. I do not know what is better.
Old 1 Mar 2019, 11:41 (Ref:3887527)   #204
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hopefully they will increase the run off before the race. It’s what the fans have been after.
Old 1 Mar 2019, 14:58 (Ref:3887577)   #205
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
That looked expensive.
Old 1 Mar 2019, 15:38 (Ref:3887580)   #206
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Simply mistake, wheel on the grass
Old 1 Mar 2019, 18:23 (Ref:3887615)   #207
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Very bad mistake, which won’t be endearing him to the team. Cost them quite a bit of testing time, and upgrades were lost for the laps they did run.
Old 1 Mar 2019, 18:53 (Ref:3887627)   #208
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That looked expensive.
it also ended testing today after only 29 laps because the gearbox was broken and they did'nt have a spare anymore(Also after Gasly's crash last week)
Old 1 Mar 2019, 18:58 (Ref:3887631)   #209
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
So Mercedes and Ferrari finish with their best laps today 3 thousandths of a second apart - hopefully that's the genuine pace of each.
Old 1 Mar 2019, 21:41 (Ref:3887667)   #210
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
So Mercedes and Ferrari finish with their best laps today 3 thousandths of a second apart - hopefully that's the genuine pace of each.
Both "fast" and "slow" might be as fast as you can go, or it may be as fast as you care to go. So I think it's hard to use testing as any type of crystal ball. But... if someone is clearly struggling... that probably is an indication of problems. I think that is about the best you can extra from testing (on the outside looking in)

With that being said, it would be nice if there was some level of shake up of the order, or at least more performance parity.

Richard
Old 1 Mar 2019, 23:25 (Ref:3887680)   #211
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Summary of fastest times and number of laps here:

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...e-fastest-laps
Old 1 Mar 2019, 23:26 (Ref:3887681)   #212
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So testing is over already then. Where does the time go?
Old 1 Mar 2019, 23:40 (Ref:3887683)   #213
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
So testing is over already then. Where does the time go?
That's a sign you're getting old Griff.
Old 2 Mar 2019, 08:17 (Ref:3887766)   #214
S griffin
Veteran

I can tell I am when I'm asking for autographs of drivers who are younger than me
Old 2 Mar 2019, 10:41 (Ref:3887792)   #215
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

So has everyone got this straight, the internet reckons Ferrari are sure winners of the championship this year and the rest may as well not turn up.
Old 2 Mar 2019, 11:17 (Ref:3887798)   #216
S griffin
Veteran

Well thankfully testing doesn’t always translate into competitive situations in a race
Old 2 Mar 2019, 12:49 (Ref:3887804)   #217
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
So has everyone got this straight, the internet reckons Ferrari are sure winners of the championship this year and the rest may as well not turn up.
For Ferrari's sake, the internet better be right. The last time they won the WDC was in 2007 and they last won the WCC in 2008; its been a while.
Old 2 Mar 2019, 15:53 (Ref:3887814)   #218
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Just tried to view the clip of Gasly's shunt and its been removed due to FI copyright......
Old 2 Mar 2019, 16:24 (Ref:3887822)   #219
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Just tried to view the clip of Gasly's shunt and its been removed due to FI copyright......
The Video is now available on the Formula1 website...

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...barriers_.html
Old 2 Mar 2019, 19:33 (Ref:3887842)   #220
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
no harm in speculating imo. part of the fun really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

The fastest laps of winter testing per tyre
Tyre Lap Time Driver Team
C5 (Softest) 1:16.221 Sebastian Vettel
C4 (2nd softest) 1:16.628 Lewis Hamilton
C3 (Softs) 1:16.720 Sebastian Vettel
C2 (2nd hardest) 1:18.097 Lewis Hamilton

perhaps intentionally omitted from the table or no one bothered to try out the C1 tires? either way i think thats a bit odd. i cant imagine we will see them much this year anyways.

about a 1.5 sec difference between the C2 and C4 tires and 0.5 sec diff between C3 and C5. obviously who knows about setup and fuel loads etc etc but a fast lap is still a fast lap. anyways i would have expected to see a more of a margin between C3 vs C5...rather something more akin to the gap between LH's C2 vs C4 times.

of course there may be no conclusions to draw from this other than whats the point of having 5 compounds?

Max's best time came on a set of C3 - no doubt due to Gasly accident preventing any meaningful laps on the last day.

shame that they werent able to complete their program. would have been nice for the test to end with more hope that Honda has delivered....although i suppose we got a glimmer with STR's best lap.

Williams while not looking fast didnt do too badly on the mileage front...or at least not that far off what RP managed to do. lots of talk about who is to blame over at Williams but i find myself more suspect about their driver line up. was surprised to see RK almost a second down to his team mate.

overall though the Ferrari engines put in quite a few more laps then the Merc powered teams. encouraging!

we say times dont matter much but for sure they mean a lot to the drivers!...Leclerc being up there is no doubt a tremendous boost to his confidence.

i look forward to the Italian media going absolutely insane the moment SV makes any sort of mistake.

also like how the Hulk drew first blood but more surprisingly for me is that that Stroll pipped Perez. you just know thats going to bother Perez perhaps to the point of all out war! fingers crossed

not sure what to think about Mclaren to be honest. they made some headlines and talk of Alonso doing some tests...im excited for them and for the whole midfield in general.

with the small teams getting more factory help, could this be the strongest midfield we have ever seen? STR, Mclaren, Alfa, Haas all seemed to run their winter programs as intended and racked up a serious amount of laps. i suppose i could put Renault in this group. certainly 4th but even 3rd is within their grasp but they just seem to the bare minimum to secure the spot their budget provides them. hopefully their drivers can push them up.

Merc are again crying wolff that Ferrari are ahead...hopefully it is true this time around and we see a sustained championship battle!

anyways, very excited for the season to come...which i must say surprises me. didnt think i was going to feel this way but winter testing really hit the spot imo.
Old 3 Mar 2019, 08:51 (Ref:3887944)   #221
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
no harm in speculating imo. part of the fun really.

The fastest laps of winter testing per tyre
Tyre Lap Time Driver Team
C5 (Softest) 1:16.221 Sebastian Vettel
C4 (2nd softest) 1:16.628 Lewis Hamilton
C3 (Softs) 1:16.720 Sebastian Vettel
C2 (2nd hardest) 1:18.097 Lewis Hamilton

perhaps intentionally omitted from the table or no one bothered to try out the C1 tires? either way i think thats a bit odd. i cant imagine we will see them much this year anyways.

about a 1.5 sec difference between the C2 and C4 tires and 0.5 sec diff between C3 and C5. obviously who knows about setup and fuel loads etc etc but a fast lap is still a fast lap. anyways i would have expected to see a more of a margin between C3 vs C5...rather something more akin to the gap between LH's C2 vs C4 times.

of course there may be no conclusions to draw from this other than whats the point of having 5 compounds?

Max's best time came on a set of C3 - no doubt due to Gasly accident preventing any meaningful laps on the last day.

shame that they werent able to complete their program. would have been nice for the test to end with more hope that Honda has delivered....although i suppose we got a glimmer with STR's best lap.

Williams while not looking fast didnt do too badly on the mileage front...or at least not that far off what RP managed to do. lots of talk about who is to blame over at Williams but i find myself more suspect about their driver line up. was surprised to see RK almost a second down to his team mate.

overall though the Ferrari engines put in quite a few more laps then the Merc powered teams. encouraging!

we say times dont matter much but for sure they mean a lot to the drivers!...Leclerc being up there is no doubt a tremendous boost to his confidence.

i look forward to the Italian media going absolutely insane the moment SV makes any sort of mistake.

also like how the Hulk drew first blood but more surprisingly for me is that that Stroll pipped Perez. you just know thats going to bother Perez perhaps to the point of all out war! fingers crossed

not sure what to think about Mclaren to be honest. they made some headlines and talk of Alonso doing some tests...im excited for them and for the whole midfield in general.

with the small teams getting more factory help, could this be the strongest midfield we have ever seen? STR, Mclaren, Alfa, Haas all seemed to run their winter programs as intended and racked up a serious amount of laps. i suppose i could put Renault in this group. certainly 4th but even 3rd is within their grasp but they just seem to the bare minimum to secure the spot their budget provides them. hopefully their drivers can push them up.

Merc are again crying wolff that Ferrari are ahead...hopefully it is true this time around and we see a sustained championship battle!

anyways, very excited for the season to come...which i must say surprises me. didnt think i was going to feel this way but winter testing really hit the spot imo.
My apologies to those who believe this stuff, it is all guess work and the only facts that can be drawn from the two weeks of testing is the cars do in fact go around corners and stop. Everything else is a game of click bait to keep the cash rolling in.
Old 4 Mar 2019, 14:10 (Ref:3888205)   #222
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is the first I've heard of how easy it is to follow another car, and from Magnussen's point of view, it's reasonable news: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...59tovXTVN.html
Old 4 Mar 2019, 15:07 (Ref:3888215)   #223
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
This is the first I've heard of how easy it is to follow another car, and from Magnussen's point of view, it's reasonable news: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...59tovXTVN.html
I am cautiously optimistic.

Richard
Old 4 Mar 2019, 15:51 (Ref:3888223)   #224
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
My apologies to those who believe this stuff, it is all guess work and the only facts that can be drawn from the two weeks of testing is the cars do in fact go around corners and stop. Everything else is a game of click bait to keep the cash rolling in.
for sure its all guess work...thats the whole point!

people like to speculate about sports particularly during a pre season when we sit in anticipation of what will come next. im not really sure whats new or unusual about this.

anyways, i like to talk about sports. for me its fun. to each their own of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Perez and Bottas with positive things to say. DanRic less sure.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/i...perez/4345373/

cautiously optimistic sounds about right to me.
Old 4 Mar 2019, 18:11 (Ref:3888251)   #225
S griffin
Veteran

Well we’ll see how much it has improved come Melbourne, although the noises from the driver are a good sign. If only we could get rid of DRS