Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 5 Nov 2008, 13:08 (Ref:2328648)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
'50 Years of BTCC' DVD imminent....

I've received news that a division of BHP 'Motorsport DVD' is shortly to release a DVD titled '50 Years of the BTCC.'

Now that sounds like it ought to be something to really relish!!!

Hopefully it gives plenty of time to the 70's and 80's stuff which is well rare and doesn't concentrate too much on the last days of Group A and the well documented super touring era.

What do we all think?
Old 5 Nov 2008, 14:56 (Ref:2328737)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I'll certainly be shelling out for a copy. It's a great, so let's hope they do it justice.
Old 5 Nov 2008, 16:11 (Ref:2328788)   #3
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess it depends how long it is. If they try to cram it all in, in one hour then I probably wouldn't be interested.
Old 5 Nov 2008, 16:44 (Ref:2328814)   #4
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bearing in mind 'Tales from the Tarmac' is 2hrs (might be more actually come to think of it) and that just covers the '90s basically, then I think a double DVD could be in order if it's 50years.

Still, whatever, it'll be an essential buy.
Old 6 Nov 2008, 04:25 (Ref:2329203)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
I've received news that a division of BHP 'Motorsport DVD' is shortly to release a DVD titled '50 Years of the BTCC.'

Now that sounds like it ought to be something to really relish!!!

Hopefully it gives plenty of time to the 70's and 80's stuff which is well rare and doesn't concentrate too much on the last days of Group A and the well documented super touring era.

What do we all think?
I'll certainly be getting it, though i fear it will be exactly as you say, skimming through 1958-1987, then giving the bulk of it to the 90s

I guess it depends how much footage they can find out of Hay Fisher etc?
Old 6 Nov 2008, 10:45 (Ref:2329320)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
I'll certainly be getting it, though i fear it will be exactly as you say, skimming through 1958-1987, then giving the bulk of it to the 90s

Well as you know i've been trying to hunt some Group A and early Group A down just for my own collection but i've had a very mild response from the likes of Hay Fisher or BHP.

I'm sure there's plenty of archive footage locked away, but it seems the firms that have it maybe reluctant to just let any old Joe Soap have any of it?
Old 6 Nov 2008, 22:22 (Ref:2329735)   #7
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69

I believe this DVD has actually been made by Hay Fisher. MotorsportDVD is just the distributor.
Old 6 Nov 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2329739)   #8
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:

I'm sure there's plenty of archive footage locked away, but it seems the firms that have it maybe reluctant to just let any old Joe Soap have any of it?
More likely is that there's plenty of footage locked away, but none of it is properly labelled.

A can of film that has a sticker on it simply saying "Oulton Park, July 9th" could be some long lost treasure. But without watching it, there's no way of knowing.

And when you have tens of thousands of hours of such footage, where do you start?
Old 7 Nov 2008, 11:41 (Ref:2329955)   #9
dan290888
Rookie

England
Kent
dan290888 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have Tales of the Tarmac which thought was great but have to agree that it would be a shame if the majority of the 50 year one was devoted to the 90's. I would love to see some of the older stuff and get a feeling of the history behind the BTCC.

Anyone know if this is due for release before christmas? would make a great present!!
Old 7 Nov 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2329962)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
More likely is that there's plenty of footage locked away, but none of it is properly labelled.

A can of film that has a sticker on it simply saying "Oulton Park, July 9th" could be some long lost treasure. But without watching it, there's no way of knowing.

And when you have tens of thousands of hours of such footage, where do you start?
Well I'd more than willing to go and sit in a room a go through such things to help identify it, as long as I received a small wager for me time!!
Old 7 Nov 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2329969)   #11
dan290888
Rookie

England
Kent
dan290888 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and a comfy chair!
Old 7 Nov 2008, 16:51 (Ref:2330175)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
I believe this DVD has actually been made by Hay Fisher. MotorsportDVD is just the distributor.
Sounds very promising indeed

Quote:
Well I'd more than willing to go and sit in a room a go through such things to help identify it, as long as I received a small wager for me time!!
As you know i'd be more than willing to fly up your way to lend a hand
Old 10 Nov 2008, 18:15 (Ref:2332601)   #13
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looking forward to this. Tales Of The Tarmac was poor. So many errors in Charlie Cox's narration.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 14:48 (Ref:2423669)   #14
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It appears to be out: http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1310

Although I can't find it at Duke or Play.com.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 22:49 (Ref:2424016)   #15
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
It appears to be out: http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1310

Although I can't find it at Duke or Play.com.
Try this:

http://www.motorsportdvd.com/btcc/pr...0_years/page_1
Old 25 Mar 2009, 20:33 (Ref:2424730)   #16
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice trailer on there too, looks like this is very definitely an essential purchase!
Old 26 Mar 2009, 01:17 (Ref:2424928)   #17
sceptic
Veteran

It got a good review in Motorsport News today too.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 02:13 (Ref:2424946)   #18
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Definitely one for the shopping list
Old 26 Mar 2009, 09:03 (Ref:2425089)   #19
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie View Post
Definitely one for the shopping list
It was my birthday on Monday so its not too late....
Old 26 Mar 2009, 09:06 (Ref:2425090)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne View Post
Ha ha, it's gone on my list for next month!

I'm really hoping there's a reasonable amount of footage from the late Group 1 Tricentrol era, as that period is non existent on video/dvd elsewhere. It has been a real problem for me in the last few years. No commercial releases, noone with any personal tv recorded stuff. Nightmare!!
Old 26 Mar 2009, 09:59 (Ref:2425115)   #21
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Just ordered my copy. Looks like I'm going to be called lots of names if it arrives by the weekend, what with that and the Grand Prix to watch!
(Still, I was good to my missus last weekend when it was Mothering Sunday. Do you think she'll take that into account?)
Old 26 Mar 2009, 10:06 (Ref:2425121)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Just ordered my copy. Looks like I'm going to be called lots of names if it arrives by the weekend, what with that and the Grand Prix to watch!
(Still, I was good to my missus last weekend when it was Mothering Sunday. Do you think she'll take that into account?)
Crikey mate, you're a positive thinker!!
Old 26 Mar 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2425347)   #23
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Well I would have bought it for you without a doubt, but I'm hurt after you had a go at my taste in music
Old 26 Mar 2009, 16:09 (Ref:2425359)   #24
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie View Post
I'm hurt after you had a go at my taste in music
What taste would that be?

Oh yeah, bad taste! Oasis? Pah!

*Sorry for the interruption, we now return you to the original topic*
Old 27 Mar 2009, 03:42 (Ref:2425821)   #25
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
30th of March must have been popular, me too

I'll definatly be putting in an order for this