Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 27 Mar 2009, 08:24 (Ref:2425923)   #26
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A copy of this arrived this week at Ten-Tenths Towers for review! I'm looking forward to getting a few beers in and sticking it on tomorrow!

And no Burnsie, you can't have it as a subscribers "gift"
Old 30 Mar 2009, 01:02 (Ref:2428573)   #27
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So what's the verdict, is it worth the money?
Old 22 Apr 2009, 15:37 (Ref:2447087)   #28
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
So what's the verdict, is it worth the money?
Perhaps not?

I'm curious too
Old 22 Apr 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2447110)   #29
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Perhaps not?

I'm curious too
To be honest, it wasn't as good as I was expecting (but then, was I expecting too much for the money?).
I was hoping it'd include stuff from the 1987 BTCC for example, as that hasn't been available on video for years, but nothing at all from that year.
It looks like I'm going to have to invest in the software, leads and time to transfer all the stuff I recorded onto VHS from Grandstand all those years ago (but edit out the hours of horse racing I also taped as the published times were different from when it was actually transmitted) onto DVD myself (but purely for personal use, obviously).
Having been critical above, my concience is niggling me now, so I feel compelled to say that I suppose it is reasonable value for money, with interesting insights and interviews from many of the drivers so long after various 'controversial' happenings. Not only that but it was a great reminder of the fantastic enthusiasm that Murray Walker used to put into his commentaries!
Old 22 Apr 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2447343)   #30
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
To be honest, it wasn't as good as I was expecting (but then, was I expecting too much for the money?).
I was hoping it'd include stuff from the 1987 BTCC for example, as that hasn't been available on video for years, but nothing at all from that year.
It looks like I'm going to have to invest in the software, leads and time to transfer all the stuff I recorded onto VHS from Grandstand all those years ago onto DVD myself (but purely for personal use, obviously)!
Damn, you're one of the people whose opinions i'd really take heed of in cases like this as a fellow Group A fan so that's not a good sign!! Hoping i'll get one on my birthday in a few days so i'll take a view then!!

VIVA you can get a DVD of '87 on ebay, there's ususlly some doing the rounds every other week or so.

BTW, how far back does your Grandstand archive go as i'm almost desperate to get hold of decent BTCC footage prior to the Sierra days?
Old 23 Apr 2009, 07:14 (Ref:2447579)   #31
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Damn, you're one of the people whose opinions i'd really take heed of in cases like this as a fellow Group A fan so that's not a good sign!! Hoping i'll get one on my birthday in a few days so i'll take a view then!!

VIVA you can get a DVD of '87 on ebay, there's ususlly some doing the rounds every other week or so.

BTW, how far back does your Grandstand archive go as i'm almost desperate to get hold of decent BTCC footage prior to the Sierra days?
Thanks for the kind words mate (I do feel proud!)
Unfortunately my Grandstand archives start from around 1988. If I remember correctly that was when the BBC started broadcasting the BTCC rounds. The 1987 BTCC was only shown on one of the satelite channels in the UK, and as that was back in the day when your satelite dish had to be about the same size as the ones at Jodderel bank, we didn't have one!
(Also amongst the horse racing I have many Manx, Circuit of Ireland & National Breakdown rally transmissions...)
Old 23 Apr 2009, 08:28 (Ref:2447619)   #32
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Fair enough man, no problem!

I think the odd race was shown as highlights prior to the explosion of interest in late 80's, but I suspect finding any let alone getting anyone to part with home copies will be like finding a micro, micro needle in a globe sized haystack!!!

I'm really tempted to ask you how much Group 1 and early Group A footage is on this release but I'm not going to as want to wait and see, so don't pre-empt me!!!!!
Old 3 Jun 2009, 09:30 (Ref:2474560)   #33
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Well I should've provided some feedback earlier but having viewed this release here's my thoughts:

Great that they assembled so many past superstars for interview, not often you get to hear Andy Rouse or Steve Soper talking these days! Win Percy's was particularly insightful and amusing (How close did he get to being one of the Sanyo Rover drivers for example!!)

Nice to see a reasonable amount of older stuff, but most of it I feel devotes too much time to very recent years, the stuff that people are already aware of and know about.

I think that considering there isn't really anything on release in print or on video from 30 odd years ago, i'm convinced there would be a decent demand, an opportunity has been missed to cover the 70's and 80's in a little more detail.

The footage of Win Percy in the RX7 was great but lasted for what, about 20 seconds???

Hardly any mention of the 3.0 Capri or the Rover SD1 Vitesse, even the Group A RS Cosworth and BMW M3's only featured briefly, 4 hugely successful cars that drew massive support when in their pomp.

However it is a well produced piece with lots to to reminice about, the driver interviews are excellent.

Maybe Hay-Fisher/Motorsport DVD will consider further releaseS concentrating on a decade at a time, or maybe even a regulation period at a time like Group 2; Group 1; Group A and even Super Touring.

I know between them (and the Beeb) they have plenty of footage.
Old 4 Jun 2009, 09:40 (Ref:2475226)   #34
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I think that considering there isn't really anything on release in print or on video from 30 odd years ago, i'm convinced there would be a decent demand, an opportunity has been missed to cover the 70's and 80's in a little more detail.

Maybe Hay-Fisher/Motorsport DVD will consider further releaseS concentrating on a decade at a time, or maybe even a regulation period at a time like Group 2; Group 1; Group A and even Super Touring.

I know between them (and the Beeb) they have plenty of footage.
The thing is, they don't. There is very little known surviving footage from the seventies. A large proportion of what does exist is in that DVD. There are certainly no complete races, and from some seasons there is no footage at all.
Old 4 Jun 2009, 10:11 (Ref:2475246)   #35
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
The thing is, they don't. There is very little known surviving footage from the seventies. A large proportion of what does exist is in that DVD. There are certainly no complete races, and from some seasons there is no footage at all.
That is very sad...
(Looks like I'm going to have to raid my VHS Grandstand archives & copy them to DVD. Purely for personal use, obviously).
Old 4 Jun 2009, 20:34 (Ref:2475526)   #36
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

There is definitely footage somewhere from the early 80's though.

There were actual Tricentrol season video releases for 1981 and '82 from Sportsseen although I never had them as was too young. Therefore the original film will be locked away somewhere, unless it was destroyed?

Question is who has it and how can we get hold of some either commercially or privately?