Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 6 Dec 2002, 07:46 (Ref:443943)   #1
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
.......and the dog came too!

Anyone got info/photos of any racing estates?

I can only remember a couple (the '94 BTCC Volvos, and Adam Gittings' Morris Traveller in CSCC) and I wondered, was there many?
Old 6 Dec 2002, 07:53 (Ref:443946)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crash Test will have many photos of Wayne Wakefield's famous Mazda 808, which dominated Improved Production Touring Car racing in Qld in the mid '90s. He should also have some of Burt Bales in the Mazda 929.
Old 6 Dec 2002, 17:18 (Ref:444425)   #3
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
I can think of a few, although they're a bit modern for the tastes of this forum.....- there was some sort of Suzuki estate in Dutch touring cars in the mid-90's, and a Subaru Impreza-the 5-door variety- in Japanese touring cars around the same time. More recently, someone ran a Renault Megane estate in one of tthe Scandinavian series (Denmark?)

Going further back, I'm sure I've read a story of a British team taking a Mini to a Nurburgring touring car race in the 60's, breaking the race car in practice, and substituting it with the team's support vehicle- a Mini estate.
Old 7 Dec 2002, 13:49 (Ref:445035)   #4
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
The Megane: Danish series 2000 driven by Casper Elgaard and Kristian Kolby apparently...

http://dtc.1st-motorsport.net/korer/11B.jpg

Wasn't there also a well-known and successful Mini estate clone in special saloons or similar in the UK back in the 70's? I know I've read about it, but can't think whose it was.....
Old 7 Dec 2002, 17:54 (Ref:445142)   #5
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I remember well it was Ginger Marshall Clubman Estate, I read it when Autosport published a piece about estate cars in racing, as a preview to the Volvo BTCC debut........
Old 7 Dec 2002, 23:26 (Ref:445299)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep - definitely Ginger Marshall. The roof was made of thin enough gauge glassfibre that it would bow under air pressure, and thus produce an aerofoil downforce effect that wasn't apparent when stationary...

...or so I'm told!
Old 10 Dec 2002, 23:27 (Ref:447338)   #7
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
given that Tim, one would hope that there was a significantly sturdy rool cage or bars somewhere in there for the poor driver.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 08:50 (Ref:447482)   #8
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the BMW Z3 M Power Roadster, looks an Estate to me.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 08:19 (Ref:448091)   #9
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes it does, but BMW don't want you to think that.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 10:50 (Ref:448181)   #10
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I can only add a 'sort' of estate, that was the Ferrari Breadvan I saw racing a few times at Brands Hatch in the late 70's (actually TimD knows of this car too, it came up in a previous thread) rather an exotic 'estate' and probably stretching it a bit.........
Old 13 Dec 2002, 20:42 (Ref:449306)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
OK, I know it's not racing, but in the early 70s we used to rally a Cortina estate.

This was taken somewhere in Wales around 1970/71:
Attached Thumbnails
rallycortina2.jpg