Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 16 Sep 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2541849)   #1
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
May 2010 - US Motorsport trip planning.

Hello hello.

Next may, i am planning on going to the Indy500 (30th May).

I thought, while i'm out that way, i might as well try and see a NASCAR race too. Decided on the special shoot-out at Lowes on 22nd May. I was thinking of maybe hiring a car and driving from Charlotte to Indy and doing a bit of a Road Trip.

Probably try and squeeze in a few nights in New York on the way back too.

Anyone done anything simular? Any advice for the 2 events and the route between?

Its a long way off, but i thought i had best get planning. (How far in advance should i get race tickets?)

Pete
Old 16 Sep 2009, 21:29 (Ref:2542424)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not sure about the 500 but you should be able to get tickets to the NASCAR allstar almost race up until raceday...i think you meant the AllStar race when you said "Special Shoot Out"; close enough for NASCAR

it's about 9 to 10 hours from Charlotte to Indy and haul either way you look to NYC and it you will have to deal with Holiday travel at some point as this is around Memorial Day weekend. MAPQUEST for the ROUTE

I have been to both speedways; Allstar Race and USGP. you will not be disappointed with either and it will be worth the travel time.

good luck and enjoy the US while we're still here
Old 17 Sep 2009, 01:00 (Ref:2542512)   #3
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've been to both facilities as well and you won't be disappointed. They are perhaps the two nicest oval tracks in the US.

The drive to Indianapolis is... loooong. And extremely flat for the second half. I may have made one trip with the above poster where, after an extremly long night, I completely lost my wits upon arriving in Indy. I didn't even know what my name was. I suggest you take your time.

Your drive through North Carolina and Tennessee will take you through some beautiful country and the Nantahala National Forest/Smokey Mountains. In Asheville, NC the main tourist attraction is the Biltmore Estate which is the largest home in the US and pretty spectacular. If your into Americana, stop in Louisville and visit the Louisville Slugger plant. For a baseball fan, that's about as cool as it gets. And there is always Dollywood outside of Knoxville, TN... which I'm ashamed to say I've been to as well.

edit... It's a few hours out of your way, but the National Corvette Museam and Plant is in Bowling Green, KY. If you like Vettes, this is Mecca... if not, there's not much else there.

I don't have much information to provide on New York as I've never been myself. Hope you have fun and enjoy your trip!
Old 17 Sep 2009, 01:18 (Ref:2542520)   #4
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
The drive to Indianapolis is... loooong. And extremely flat for the second half. I may have made one trip with the above poster where, after an extremly long night, I completely lost my wits upon arriving in Indy. I didn't even know what my name was. I suggest you take your time..
yes...and don't leave in the middle of the night, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Your drive through North Carolina and Tennessee will take you through some beautiful country and the Nantahala National Forest/Smokey Mountains. In Asheville, NC the main tourist attraction is the Biltmore Estate which is the largest home in the US and pretty spectacular. If your into Americana, stop in Louisville and visit the Louisville Slugger plant. For a baseball fan, that's about as cool as it gets. And there is always Dollywood outside of Knoxville, TN... which I'm ashamed to say I've been to as well

edit... It's a few hours out of your way, but the National Corvette Museam and Plant is in Bowling Green, KY. If you like Vettes, this is Mecca... if not, there's not much else there.
i think you missed your calling as an Appalachia tour guide
it is beautiful country, tho.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 02:01 (Ref:2542536)   #5
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Business as usual

For your trip to "New York" you will need a real `plan'. I would imagine that you are referring to New York City where you would wish to take in the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, etc.

Forget about driving INTO NYC. The traffic is terrible and there are few places to park in Manhattan. Public transport abounds. I would plan on staying in New Jersey, someplace near one of the rail or bus connections into Manhattan.

This LINK may be of some use.

Old 17 Sep 2009, 02:20 (Ref:2542542)   #6
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Business as usual

Some information and trivia about The Empire State building:

The construction in the early1930s is possibly the first major application of `just in time' manufacturing. There was absolutely no storage space on site. In addition, the city streets had normal traffic and parking. Each and every I-beam was built in the sequence in which it was required, loaded onto a truck, delivered and installed immediately. That also was responsible for the entire project's completion several months ahead of schedule and under the cost estimate.

Click for the Wikipedia link and official Empire State Building website.

Old 17 Sep 2009, 03:23 (Ref:2542559)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you like scenery the Smokey Mtn. National Park is quite nice as well as the Blue Ridge Parkway. Not a whole lot happening otherwise between Indy and Charlotte.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2542738)   #8
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Wow, thanks guys. Some great advice.

The only driving leg would probably be Charlotte to Indy. I would plan on flying to NY after and staying in some kind of hostel or simular....

The drive will be VERY leisurely, definatley an overnight stop, going a longer route. The Corvette museum sounds good, not so sure about Dollywood though........

Thanks for the heads-up about memorial day too.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 17:52 (Ref:2542939)   #9
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pete, as per your request;

I went to the 91st Indy 50 in 2007. We had 5 days in Las Vegas then flew direct on NWA to Indy the night before the race. We stayed at the Day's Inn in Indy itself (don't bother, like staying in a crack house... http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...a.html#REVIEWS) and got the shuttle bus to the Speedway. If I was you I'd book the hotel asap - 250-300k people descend on Indy on race day, rooms may be scarce.

The shuttle bus service is operated by IndyGo www.indygo.net and they pick up and drop off at Indianapolis airport and at the RCA Dome http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_Dome in the city centre. So unless you stay at the airport or near the RCA it's going to be a taxi, either to the Speedway or to a pick-up point.

Next time I go, I'll stay at an airport hotel and use the IndyGo bus - it'll save on all the taxi fares to and from the city, and to be honest there's not a lot worth seeing except the Speedway, unless you get there in time for all the parades etc!

I found food and drink at the track to be very reasonable priced, and the crowd friendly and knowledgeable. We flew out to NYC to LaGuardia the next morning.

You'll have a great time. I love NYC and have been lots of times. A lot of stuff has been covered above but I'd add the following;

Go up the Rockefeller Tower - great alternative view of Manhattan;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paul69/...7601078047213/

Spend some time meandering round Greenwich village, away from the tourists, you'll stumble across some great little bars, restaurants and shops.

If you like seafood, check out Todai http://www.todai.com/locations.php awesome seafood buffet on E32nd St. If you like meat, check out Churrascaria Plataforma, a Brazilian rodizio restaurant http://churrascariaplataforma.com/

One of the greatest bars I've ever been to is The Campbell Apartment round the back of Grand Central in Vanderbilt Avenue - you must visit.

Best steak in the world, Smith & Wollensky http://www.smithandwollensky.com/new_york.htm Not cheap but the Porterhouse is the best steak I've ever had, service is impeccable.

I could go on all day but lastly, a great Belgian bar worth visiting is BXL, just off Times Square at 125 W43rd St. Strong hoppy lagers like Duval on draft, and amazing mussells and frites http://bxlcafe.pregraphic.com/

There are plenty of basic but good cheap-ish hotels, I like the Deauville on 23rd & Park which is basic but clean, friendly and very convenient. The Metro Hotel at 35th & 5th is good too. And as someone has already said, don't even bother driving in Manhattan...

As amazing as Manhattan is, try and spend some time in Brooklyn too as there is lots to see and experience across the bridge.

I'd say the main thing is just walk around and drink it all in!

Hope this helps a bit - Have fun!
Old 17 Sep 2009, 17:56 (Ref:2542941)   #10
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
This is brill, thanks chap!

Looks like i need to get serious about getting booked up soon!

Cheers

Pete
Old 17 Sep 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2542948)   #11
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
This is brill, thanks chap!

Looks like i need to get serious about getting booked up soon!

Cheers

Pete
No problem mate, PM me if you need any other info.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 16:35 (Ref:2611722)   #12
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Due to financial and time-off problems, this trip of mine has been canned for 2010. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 20:20 (Ref:2611844)   #13
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
A reply

Quote:
Due to financial and time-off problems, this trip of mine has been canned for 2010. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
'Tis a pity. Perhaps when it does happen you can spend a few extra days to make up for it.
. .
Old 11 Jan 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2611852)   #14
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk View Post
We stayed at the Day's Inn in Indy itself (don't bother, like staying in a crack house... http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...a.html#REVIEWS)

Quote:
Bummer. Hope you can make it next year! And take me back with you. I wanna see DTM at Brands Hatch.