Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 28 May 2010, 07:22 (Ref:2699737)   #576
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I hate to be a lone voice of decent here but is anyone else a little worried by the latest developments. It's great to think that we might see the circuit re-open this year but the choice of the Adroit Group seems a strange one. They are a construction company with seemingly no motorsports connections. The sort of company you would use as contractors to rebuild the circuit, not to take over a long lease and run the place.

There's been a lot of concern about the place failing into the hands of property developers and the circuit being lost for good. I don't think Adroit are looking to build a housing estate but I get the feeling they won't be there long term. I'm sure there's more to this than we've been told.
Old 28 May 2010, 07:35 (Ref:2699741)   #577
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I hate to be a lone voice of decent here but is anyone else a little worried by the latest developments. It's great to think that we might see the circuit re-open this year but the choice of the Adroit Group seems a strange one. They are a construction company with seemingly no motorsports connections. The sort of company you would use as contractors to rebuild the circuit, not to take over a long lease and run the place.

There's been a lot of concern about the place failing into the hands of property developers and the circuit being lost for good. I don't think Adroit are looking to build a housing estate but I get the feeling they won't be there long term. I'm sure there's more to this than we've been told.
Maybe not a lone voice of decent but more a voice of reason?
Although I didn't fall for the hype when the place was taken over and subsequently ruined by the razor manufacturer, it is good to have a sense of caution, and be encouraged to look at the situation with both eyes wide open.
Let's hope your fears are proved to be unfounded, but I do thank you for bringing this to our attention...
Old 28 May 2010, 07:59 (Ref:2699753)   #578
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd avoided saying something similar, my heart sank at the description of them as a property company (or something along those lines). I am though encouraged that one of the senior bods is apparently a racer so I think they do have an idea of what they are getting into.

They also only have a lease so they don't have the ability to sell chunks off and build warehousing or similar.

I wish them well, it's an ambitious timescale if the extent of the damage is as we've been led to believe and I think it's going to be a tall order but I really hope they are up and running for the Masters September meeting. The last thing we need is more competitors stumping up for hotels etc. for a meeting that doesn't happen like last year.

Good luck to them and let's hope that the many who signed up to the "Save Donington" bandwagon actually go and support club motorsport even when it's raining!
Old 28 May 2010, 08:25 (Ref:2699762)   #579
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

My understanding is that, in addition to a genuine commitment to making the circuit successful and profit making (they are a business), they intend to make use of some of the peripheral land for developments related and unrelated to motorsport. Look at the way Silverstone has developed (and its current plans).

Also one of the senior staff is a current driver. (Let's hope he is one of those who understand something of what goes into making a good race organisation as well as a decent circuit.)

Just some of the reasons why I am optimistic, but , of course, I recognise that they will need money, quality management, support and a bit of luck to succeed. This will be five years in the development after this August's rescue work.

I hope that competitors and marshals and spectators will not only give them good support but just a touch of forbearance.

IMHO, of course.

Regards

Jim
Old 28 May 2010, 13:45 (Ref:2699919)   #580
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Never forget, Tom bought the place, and he WAS a house builder!

Quit with the negative waves, Moriarity! It's a beautiful track...
Old 28 May 2010, 14:25 (Ref:2699943)   #581
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
. . .
IMHO, of course.
Jim
And, obviously, I'm not having a go at the posts above which contain very sensible and real observations, just having my two pennorth.

Jim
Old 28 May 2010, 16:29 (Ref:2700014)   #582
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As one poster has pointed out they will not able to do anything on the site without landlords permission as they have a lease. I think it very unlikely they have a cunning plan to re develop the site for uses other than motor sport. After the last debacle we should be cautious, but from what they are saying they seem to be taking a quite sensible approach.

If they have been able to provide the guarantees required by the landlord, provide a credable business plan to the landlord and source the funding in this climate then you would assume that they are people of substance and have put a lot of work into this prior to taking over. I for one am cautiously optimistic at this news.
Old 28 May 2010, 16:38 (Ref:2700021)   #583
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Read what Steve Watton said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operations Director Steve Watton
“It is a vast and multi-faceted site and our approach will dictate that no one element will suck the attention, life and finances from any other. Quite the opposite, everything must enhance everything else. Not only will we bring existing aspects back up to scratch but we intend to make exciting new introductions that will not demand huge capital outlay but will make best use of what we already have on our doorstep. We will develop new income streams whilst broadening the range of facilities and events from exhibitions to new sports.
That doesn't really mean building houses does it! As Tim the Grey says "stop with the negative waves" and give them a chance.
Old 28 May 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2700022)   #584
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Never forget, Tom bought the place, and he WAS a house builder!
House builder AND lifelong motorsports enthusiast.

Just strikes me as odd when BARC and MSV were interested that the lease should go to someone with no experience of running any sort of venue, let alone a race circuit. At least ClearChannel and Octagon had some history of sports stadiums.

I'm not expecting Adroit to tear up the place and build a housing estate but I wouldn't be surprised to see them sell up and move on once the place is up and running. Of course, I'm happy to be proved wrong.
Old 29 May 2010, 15:22 (Ref:2700420)   #585
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
They are a construction company with seemingly no motorsports connections.
you will find..one of them is a racer...
Old 29 May 2010, 16:09 (Ref:2700440)   #586
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMADD View Post
you will find..one of them is a racer...
Yup, see my post #569
Old 29 May 2010, 17:12 (Ref:2700461)   #587
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Yup, see my post #569
Just to extend that a little .....

http://www.thoroughbredsportscars.net/wp/?page_id=244

scroll down and check the names. Notably number 30.
Old 29 May 2010, 17:41 (Ref:2700475)   #588
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
81 is better
Old 29 May 2010, 20:16 (Ref:2700564)   #589
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
81 is better
Yep, could be, but OT unless you are keeping something back Tim.

Anyway, assuming you have the potential to be 'best mates' with Mr. Watton I expect you could arrange free specatator entry offers to Donington for all 10 10ther's for at least the 2010 events ....

Also you could offer, at no cost to the new management, the services of 10 10ther's for some track days prior to the main events so that they can ensure that all the newly refurbished systems and facilities are up and running as they would wish them to be.

I'm sure you could swing that, couldn't you?
Old 31 May 2010, 16:27 (Ref:2701881)   #590
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Sounds like a plan to me

I'd be prepared to help with that testing......selfless to the end, 10-Tenthers..
Old 1 Jun 2010, 19:54 (Ref:2702757)   #591
Moby
Rookie

Moby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the interest everyone and many thanks for the support. I understand some people being sceptical of a name they are unsure of.

All I ask is that you judge us by our results. As has been said there is no magic wand and the main ingredient to making all this work will be sheer hard work.

Kind regards,

Steve.
Old 1 Jun 2010, 20:14 (Ref:2702774)   #592
Chris Wilson
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Chris Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personally wish you every success and thank you for being brave enough to take on this ailing patient. I am sure the majority of us here wish to see you and your team both revive Donington as a great race circuit, and of course make yourselves some money which is surely due any entrepreneur in these shaky times.

Please endeavour to update us as and when you can, either personally or through a web page, I can assure you there are countless racers just itching to be out down those famous Craner Curves again in the not too distant future, and who are anxiously awaiting news of the "rebuild".
Old 1 Jun 2010, 20:46 (Ref:2702794)   #593
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
I personally wish you every success and thank you for being brave enough to take on this ailing patient. I am sure the majority of us here wish to see you and your team both revive Donington as a great race circuit, and of course make yourselves some money which is surely due any entrepreneur in these shaky times.

Please endeavour to update us as and when you can, either personally or through a web page, I can assure you there are countless racers just itching to be out down those famous Craner Curves again in the not too distant future, and who are anxiously awaiting news of the "rebuild".
I have to agree with those sentiments.

And as can be seen above there is indeed some strong enthusiasm for helping with 'systems testing' when the need arises. Being very local I can be there at very short notice if required .....
Old 1 Jun 2010, 21:47 (Ref:2702831)   #594
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe a building contractor who is also an enthusiast really is the right man for the job as it seems all thats holding back is a heap of building work.
Old 2 Jun 2010, 07:04 (Ref:2702982)   #595
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Yes, the civil engineering will be crucial to a successful start-up. After that the really difficult part begins - development and successful management of a profitable and popular sports venue leading to Donington regaining and surpassing its previous good, if mixed, reputation.

Regards

Jim
Old 2 Jun 2010, 11:33 (Ref:2703143)   #596
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Brave man, Steve (Moby) jumping in here when there are so many sceptics about... - but as said, I'm sure there is a lot of support for your company's efforts.

As I see from today's MSN the company is targetting a buyout in 5 years time I think that should perhaps allay some of the fears about Adroit being in it for a fast buck.

Now stop wasting time on forums and get some Tarmac ordered
Old 2 Jun 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2703155)   #597
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby View Post
Thanks for the interest everyone and many thanks for the support. I understand some people being sceptical of a name they are unsure of.

All I ask is that you judge us by our results. As has been said there is no magic wand and the main ingredient to making all this work will be sheer hard work.

Kind regards,

Steve.
I for one am glad somebody other than MSV or BARC got it, nothing against either organisation, in fact I think they do a great job. But it's good it went to somebody independent to keep all the others on their toes and to ensure it is promoted and utilised to it's maximum. The approach being taken seems to be very sensible and I wish you success.
Old 2 Jun 2010, 12:28 (Ref:2703175)   #598
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Maybe not a lone voice of decent but more a voice of reason?
Although I didn't fall for the hype when the place was taken over and subsequently ruined by the razor manufacturer, it is good to have a sense of caution, and be encouraged to look at the situation with both eyes wide open.
Let's hope your fears are proved to be unfounded, but I do thank you for bringing this to our attention...
I wasn't being negative when I posted this, I just thought it sensible that we all keep a good sense of reality here that's all.
Although I didn't fall for the Kings New Clothes last time, many others did and there was a lot of big talk on here (and elsewhere) from people who fell for all the hype.
I seriously hope that the new lease holders manage to get my favourite circuit (from both sides of the barriers) up and running again, and wish them the best of luck.
Old 2 Jun 2010, 12:50 (Ref:2703195)   #599
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I wasn't being negative when I posted this, I just thought it sensible that we all keep a good sense of reality here that's all.
Although I didn't fall for the Kings New Clothes last time, many others did and there was a lot of big talk on here (and elsewhere) from people who fell for all the hype.
I seriously hope that the new lease holders manage to get my favourite circuit (from both sides of the barriers) up and running again, and wish them the best of luck.
If you get someone like MSV or BARC running the place they'll only know motor racing so they'll not be much better off than the new leaseholders who have said they will be utilising what they have.

What better company to take over a building site than a construction company, at least it'll get fixed properly and when it is they would be in a position to hire the correct people to run whatever events they have planned and I don't doubt that the racing will be organised by the racing clubs.
Old 2 Jun 2010, 13:03 (Ref:2703202)   #600
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I for one am glad somebody other than MSV or BARC got it, nothing against either organisation, in fact I think they do a great job. But it's good it went to somebody independent to keep all the others on their toes and to ensure it is promoted and utilised to it's maximum. The approach being taken seems to be very sensible and I wish you success.
And don't forget that (I'm guessing) most (all?) of the actual conduct of meetings will remain with the usual suspects. BRSCC, BARC, Masters, 750 MC et al. Certainly at first.

Jim