Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 12 Aug 2019, 13:40 (Ref:3922437)   #7151
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Did I miss something about Aston ending their program? I understand the company may be missing their financial targets, but has there been any word on their racing activities?
None. As you were.
Old 12 Aug 2019, 15:02 (Ref:3922447)   #7152
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Did I miss something about Aston ending their program? I understand the company may be missing their financial targets, but has there been any word on their racing activities?
Nothing about their racing activities but AMR continues to generate very unflattering stories in the financial press. It's more than merely missing financial targets. The company's stock has lost three-quarters of its value, it has gobs of debt and doesn't generate a lot of cash flow, and its management's credibility is repeatedly being called into question.

As an example, there's a Bloomberg analysis piece out today titled “Aston Martin Thought It Had Won The Lottery.” Seems that Aston Martin almost certainly won't be getting the £20 million it had previously booked as income for the tooling and design drawings for the Vanquish. And £20 million is a lot on money for Aston Martin.

The company clearly has major issues. In those circumstances, it's not unreasonable to wonder about the future of Aston Martin's racing efforts in general and its hypercar program in particular.
Old 12 Aug 2019, 23:06 (Ref:3922507)   #7153
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
What else is there to know? "Hypercar" class will be the top class all other classes will be regulated according to the performance of this top class.

There is test day and a few races before LeMans, plenty of time to make final adjustments.
I understood you, and agree. Some people are being too literal it seems. The CURRENT lmp2's will be slowed down if need be. I emphasize current because the ruleset for these cars are here for another few year. They will probably have the power reduced and/or added weight to make them that much slower than the upcoming hypercar. The 'target' hypercar times of 3:30 is race laps, not qualifying. They'll be as fast as current Super GT GT500's if you do the on-paper math. 750hp and 1100kg (too high imo) with as much downforce as those cars. Current lmp2 is slightly slower than GT500's (at Fuji is the only reference), so imo there's no reason to think lmp2 will be a threat unless every hypercar/lmp1 runs into issues or dnf's or the ACO want to shoot themselves in the foot and have the classes equal.
Old 4 Sep 2019, 13:38 (Ref:3925792)   #7154
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some hypercar chatter from Oreca and Rebellion:

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...y-end-of-year/
Old 17 Sep 2019, 16:19 (Ref:3928547)   #7155
Mike E
Veteran

Some thoughts on slowing LMP2 (and the rest) relative to not-so-hypercar.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ear-too-early/
Old 17 Sep 2019, 21:09 (Ref:3928583)   #7156
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I read that earlier and it's interesting to note that too much weight can't be added because it risks making the cars unsafe. So power drops are most likely instead of a big weight gain. Then you go back to the same situation as the previous generation lmp2s had in overtaking GTE who don't sit still. The ACO's mindset on having 'hypercar' that slow really confuses me.
Old 18 Sep 2019, 08:08 (Ref:3928640)   #7157
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The ACO's mindset on having 'hypercar' that slow really confuses me.
It's cutting costs so that they were able to lure in cheap shoestring budget manufacturers like Aston Martin. Much to the same way as mandatory hybrids and other technology was thrown out of the window in favor of balance of performance

Jenson Button knew what was going on in early 2018 already when he said he wanted to experience LMP1 when it was still proper fast before the next cycle
Old 18 Sep 2019, 22:07 (Ref:3928756)   #7158
TF110
Veteran

United States
I guess the Valkyrie is a little heavier than the estimates. There's no way Toyota can be 200+kg heavier than the previous generation. So it has to be Aston Martin and the insistence of using a Valkyrie based car that had the rules pushed to that weight.
Old 19 Sep 2019, 02:13 (Ref:3928769)   #7159
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I read that earlier and it's interesting to note that too much weight can't be added because it risks making the cars unsafe. So power drops are most likely instead of a big weight gain. Then you go back to the same situation as the previous generation lmp2s had in overtaking GTE who don't sit still. The ACO's mindset on having 'hypercar' that slow really confuses me.
The races are supposed to provide emosion, Why do you worry so much about simplifying things for professional drivers? The overtaking to slow cars and other classes are things that leaders must know to win the races and are part of this races.
Old 19 Sep 2019, 03:17 (Ref:3928783)   #7160
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
The races are supposed to provide emosion, Why do you worry so much about simplifying things for professional drivers? The overtaking to slow cars and other classes are things that leaders must know to win the races and are part of this races.
Because lmp2 is not all professional drivers. They're mandated to have a lower class 'am'. GTE is continually getting faster even if the rules stay still. This is part of the reason why lmp2 was sped up. Now it's going to slow down again and the same problems they hoped to fix will come back. The decision making is pretty bad.
Old 19 Sep 2019, 04:19 (Ref:3928791)   #7161
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Because lmp2 is not all professional drivers. They're mandated to have a lower class 'am'. GTE is continually getting faster even if the rules stay still. This is part of the reason why lmp2 was sped up. Now it's going to slow down again and the same problems they hoped to fix will come back. The decision making is pretty bad.
Well maybe it would be nice to relegate LMP2 to the third class and leave GTE as second class, the ACO killed LMP2 when they turned it into a practically spec car and nobody wants to see that.
Old 19 Sep 2019, 13:06 (Ref:3928883)   #7162
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But they can't detune the sterile spec Orecas to the power level of GT4 or whateer because they also need to slow down P3, which is a problem as it's also run in non-ACO series with differentiating class hierarchies
Old 19 Sep 2019, 13:32 (Ref:3928890)   #7163
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMP2 is in a weird spot at the moment. Too fast and not very interesting.

They are spectacular on track and when we arrived at LM on thursday and they were braking down into the Porsche Curves at dusk it was about the coolest thing I'd ever seen, but that doesn't translate very well on telly and them being spec cars with no dicernable differences other than livery doesn't help.

My ideal formula would probably be something like DPI where manufactures could put a "face" on them, and they were power limited to provide a more budget friendly option for companies who didn't want a space shuttle budget ploughing into prototype racing (I'm thinking Hyundai etc).
Old 19 Sep 2019, 14:11 (Ref:3928898)   #7164
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I disagree that LMP2 is too fast. When it was slower it meant that gentleman drivers had to outbreak GTEs with Pro drivers. The higher top speeds (but similar cornering speeds) mean that the LMP2s can now blow by the GTEs, resulting in less issues with those.

I agree that LMP2 is in a bad place, and not interest etc, but I do think the current speed of the cars is about correct. If we slow LMP2 down, then we need to slow GTE down a lot.
Old 19 Sep 2019, 18:18 (Ref:3928936)   #7165
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I disagree that LMP2 is too fast. When it was slower it meant that gentleman drivers had to outbreak GTEs with Pro drivers. The higher top speeds (but similar cornering speeds) mean that the LMP2s can now blow by the GTEs, resulting in less issues with those.

I agree that LMP2 is in a bad place, and not interest etc, but I do think the current speed of the cars is about correct. If we slow LMP2 down, then we need to slow GTE down a lot.
Or does the opposite happen and we simply allow things to be fast?
Old 19 Sep 2019, 18:31 (Ref:3928941)   #7166
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not following you. What do you mean the opposite happen? (Sorry, I'm having a blonde moment).

Remember that a specific effort was made to speed up LMP2 with more power to stop LMP2s having to race GTEs. It worked. Now we're going back to that, for no other reason than the LMP1s are about to be too slow. We're reintroducing safety issues that we solved.

LMP2 has loads of issues (and I think we all agree on those!), but speed is about right.
Old 19 Sep 2019, 21:57 (Ref:3928981)   #7167
TF110
Veteran

United States
Exactly. The speeding up of lmp2 a short few years ago is now pointless if hypercar is going to be roughly the same pace. The only solution without slowing every class is to have hypercar faster than anticipated. So qualifying is where current lmp1 race-pace is; ~3:20.xxx with race-pace at 3:25. I think more power will be required for that, or a not so bloated 1100kg. We'll have to wait and see.
Old 20 Sep 2019, 08:28 (Ref:3929036)   #7168
Mike E
Veteran

As mentioned elsewhere the easiest way to extend LMP2 lap times is with hard tyres. This would extend braking distances, retard acceleration and reduce cornering speeds, allowing lumbering hypercars to get away but not impacting top speed for easy passing of GTEs. A 'great' excuse for a spec tyre deal.
Old 20 Sep 2019, 19:24 (Ref:3929131)   #7169
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
As mentioned elsewhere the easiest way to extend LMP2 lap times is with hard tyres. This would extend braking distances, retard acceleration and reduce cornering speeds, allowing lumbering hypercars to get away but not impacting top speed for easy passing of GTEs. A 'great' excuse for a spec tyre deal.
Problems come from that too. One team/car knows the tires and dominates or the tires are so bad that amateur drivers are getting in the way and/or accidents. Not really wise on the safety aspect. I don't envy their position on making or not making the changes.
Old 20 Sep 2019, 19:53 (Ref:3929135)   #7170
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I think TF110 hit the nail on the head. The solution is faster Hypercars. Given this is becoming a BoP class, and we already have privateer LMP1s that are cheap(ish) and achieve this, I don't see why it can't be done. You don't need expensive hybrids to go that fast.

Make Hypercar faster. Leave LMP2 at the current speed.
Old 20 Sep 2019, 20:06 (Ref:3929140)   #7171
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I think TF110 hit the nail on the head. The solution is faster Hypercars. Given this is becoming a BoP class, and we already have privateer LMP1s that are cheap(ish) and achieve this, I don't see why it can't be done. You don't need expensive hybrids to go that fast.

Make Hypercar faster. Leave LMP2 at the current speed.

faster hypercars means faster development that will trigger a costs escalation, that is basically what ACO wants to prevent as lesson learned from audi-porsche-toyota years.
Unfortunately all motorsport is moving that way....
SGT/DTM class1.... spec parts proposed for next f1 rules as well
Old 20 Sep 2019, 20:37 (Ref:3929148)   #7172
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
faster hypercars means faster development that will trigger a costs escalation, that is basically what ACO wants to prevent as lesson learned from audi-porsche-toyota years.
Unfortunately all motorsport is moving that way....
SGT/DTM class1.... spec parts proposed for next f1 rules as well
We already have those speeds. We already have relatively cheap LMP1 privateers, which are still BoP'd, and restricted on fuel. If we can do it now, we can do it with another rule set.

Slower cars won't keep costs down. It's a BoP class. We're just talking about changing the BoP configuration.
Old 20 Sep 2019, 20:40 (Ref:3929149)   #7173
Deleted
Veteran

Modest increase of spec parts in F1 2021 is still far cry from full cartel spec galore like P2/P3 or BoP show wrestling like Hypercar/DPi/GTE/GT3/GT2/GT4. The money will still be spent in bigger amounts than even the VAG LMP1 days and the best F1 chassis shall win, like in P1 of yesteryear.
Old 20 Sep 2019, 21:55 (Ref:3929163)   #7174
TF110
Veteran

United States
I don't think it's going to escalate costs to make the cars faster. If the Aston Martin is too heavy to reduce the weight, it has a big ol engine that makes over 1000hp by itself. Limiting it to 750 is probably harder than just letting some more power loose which would speed it up considerably. Toyotas hybrid right now is over 400hp so them running more than a measly 150-200 won't be a big expense either. It seems they're purposely hamstrung, the reason why I do not know.
Old 20 Sep 2019, 22:56 (Ref:3929172)   #7175
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
It seems they're purposely hamstrung, the reason why I do not know.
Momentum = mass x velocity?