Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 2 Feb 2012, 11:49 (Ref:3020251)   #1
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Donington Historic Festival 2012, 5/6 May

Provisional timetable is out, which is nice considering that it's still some 3 months away.

Good selection of machinery out for this again - I hope the Group C race has a few more entrants than last year though. And that they last a bit longer than they did in 2011!

But... to pull from other threads, Saturday particularly is a long day. I'd hazard a guess that will mean lots of "I'm not doing that" responses!
Old 2 Feb 2012, 16:30 (Ref:3020453)   #2
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow saturday is a long day.. glad i only do sundays now...
Old 2 Feb 2012, 18:42 (Ref:3020561)   #3
Johansen2000
Racer

England
Leicester
Johansen2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohansen2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is a long day for Saturday but don't most events have late finishes on the Saturday now days?

I can only marshal on Sundays mostly anyways as my partner works on saturdays and i have the children to look after
Old 2 Feb 2012, 22:52 (Ref:3020729)   #4
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmmm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I'm sorry to go on about Donington, but I made exactly that decision several years ago because of their timetabling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
Woolley -you are going on with out of date information and it's disappointing because it puts new marshals off. It is not the same situation as 'back in the day' - and I'd challenge you to visit this year and then make a considered statement (good or bad!)
I soooo want to be proved wrong. I'm sure this is just a one-off.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 23:03 (Ref:3020736)   #5
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I could swear those quotes were from another thread...

I shall leave the word "choice" to stew overnight. I shall likely choose to support this event (for what it's worth) because it's only 20 minutes up the road from me.

Last edited by Greem; 2 Feb 2012 at 23:19. Reason: Clarification
Old 3 Feb 2012, 08:14 (Ref:3020877)   #6
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did the Sunday of this event last year (on my way back home after marshalling the 360 meeting at Snetterton on the Saturday) and it was really enjoyable. Some fantastic cars and decent racing.

Marshals were a bit thin on the ground though (numbers, not sizes before the comedians out there reply!). My post (Coppice out? cant remember the number) was manned by 2 flaggies with one of them acting as PC. I was the incident team! Apparantly on the Saturday there was only the 2 flaggies on post. As normally happens when there are only a few of you, I had a multi car shunt in a single seater race with a driver sustaining a broken ankle. Had to quickly prioritise my actions in that incident.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 3 Feb 2012, 12:31 (Ref:3020989)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I could swear those quotes were from another thread...
They were, but relevant.

I would actually like to go back to Donington, especially to support enthusiastic owners at a lovely circuit. It grieves me not to do so because of an issue which has existed for a long while - long before I eventually gave up - and has been commented on frequently. I'm frequently encouraged to return on the basis it's changed, only to be proved too often that it hasn't. The result is emphatically highlighted in Mike's response as the direct result of the policy of ignoring this problem is marshalling numbers which are, in that case at least, insufficient for the task.

I know some marshals don't mind the long days and that's fine, no criticism is aimed at them at all. It is, however, an established fact that many do mind. The positive thing is that this timetable has been published well in advance so that I can take it into consideration when I decide what to volunteer for in the next couple of weeks.

However, that is moving away from the discussion of this event and the wonderful machinery that will potentially be present, so for a continuation of that subject, I refer everyone back to the thread the quotes came from.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 14:29 (Ref:3021044)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Hmmm:
I wish it was.

Regards

Jim
Old 3 Feb 2012, 22:42 (Ref:3021256)   #9
zenith
Rookie

England
Sandbach
zenith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi y'all. I usually work Oulton and would really like to try Donington, but have been put off by tales of very long days on post and poor facilities. Will this still be the case this year? Also I've a journey of over an hour each way.
Old 3 Feb 2012, 23:04 (Ref:3021263)   #10
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
would really like to try Donington
The answer my friend is to try it for yourself and make your own decision based on your own experience.

I have no ill will towards anyone but there are people on this forum who continue to criticise tracks, events, clubs well past the sell by date of the original grievance. This, as in your case, clouds and puts doubts in the mind of those who haven't been there or done it yet. If you have a gripe about track, club etc voice it in a constructive manner then let the world carry on living.
It is well known that I have an issue with a particular circuit/club and have voiced that concern, it is now my problem and not something I need to bias the opinion of others who haven't been there.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 00:15 (Ref:3021279)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
The answer my friend is to try it for yourself and make your own decision based on your own experience.
Despite my posting history, I agree with this statement entirely. I can only comment based on my own experiences and opinions, and I'm very realistic that plenty of people won't agree. Donington, as any venue, has those who love it and those who don't and a bunch in the middle. It's a wonderful circuit and there is a balance to be found whether the positive outweighs the negative. You can only find which camp you're in by trying it so I exhort you to give it a go and find out for yourself.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 08:32 (Ref:3021352)   #12
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic races by there very nature tend to be long which in turn leads to late finishes.
The up side being that it is the Saturday and with camping rather than a long drive home it tends to be acceptable.
The cars are worth the extra post time as well. I have a permanent grin on my face when the Group C cars are out and with the noise police forever flexing their muscles I will be one of the few occasions when unsilenced cars are allowed ........

"15:10 15:35 25 race HSCC Historic F2" BRING THE EAR PLUGS!!!!!!!

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 4 Feb 2012, 09:04 (Ref:3021362)   #13
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post

I have no ill will towards anyone but there are people on this forum who continue to criticise tracks, events, clubs well past the sell by date of the original grievance. This, as in your case, clouds and puts doubts in the mind of those who haven't been there or done it yet. If you have a gripe about track, club etc voice it in a constructive manner then let the world carry on living.
It is well known that I have an issue with a particular circuit/club and have voiced that concern, it is now my problem and not something I need to bias the opinion of others who haven't been there.

Well Said
Old 4 Feb 2012, 09:51 (Ref:3021375)   #14
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone is my least favourite circuit but I'm aware that my bias is largely based on events that took place years ago and it may be very different now. So I will get round to trying it again soon. Maybe the Classic...now there are some long days .

I was never all that keen on Donington either and the comments I've read here haven't been really encouraging. But it's fairly close and it has some good meetings so I've signed up for a day and after that perhaps I can make my own mind up. Can't say fairer than that .

Steve
Old 4 Feb 2012, 11:36 (Ref:3021404)   #15
Johansen2000
Racer

England
Leicester
Johansen2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohansen2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel like I'm going to be in a minority here but I love Donington, granted i have only done 3 events there and one of them being a tester day but so far not had any of the problems that people keep mentioning on here....

Maybe I am just inexperinced and yet to see the problems... I hope not!
Old 4 Feb 2012, 16:12 (Ref:3021530)   #16
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hmmm:

You are quoting me out of context, but just so you have the quotes to cut and paste in future ;-):

I wholeheartedly agree.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

This event is timetabled to finish at 19:45. People can see this and make up their own mind if they can support it or not. If enough people cannot, the organisers will have to reconsider their plans. I can support it this time.

My argument from the other thread is events where an event is timetabled to finish at a reasonable time, but the organisers under no curfew pressure feel happy to let time slip away and make finish times unacceptable. That is not my experience of Donington for a looong time.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 20:10 (Ref:3021604)   #17
Maranello Man
Rookie

England
Huddersfield
Maranello Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Dear Johansenn 2000,
Please come with your very open mind, yes there are some occasional late finishes, some of which are beyond all our control, I too have an hour plus journey "oop north" but the latest I have been home on a Sunday is 20.45. We are all extremely friendly at Donington please enjoy the events you do with us.
Regards
Simon B
Old 4 Feb 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3021646)   #18
Johansen2000
Racer

England
Leicester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maranello Man View Post
Dear Johansenn 2000,
Please come with your very open mind, yes there are some occasional late finishes, some of which are beyond all our control, I too have an hour plus journey "oop north" but the latest I have been home on a Sunday is 20.45. We are all extremely friendly at Donington please enjoy the events you do with us.
Regards
Simon B
Thank you I certainly enjoyed the events i did at the back end of last year and cant wait to be back there again - My first event of the year will be the MGCC in April

The idea of a late finish doesnt really bother me however as I dont drive I am fully at the mercy of my partner and she might get a little bit frustrated if the late finishes became some what frequent, especially with my eldest daughter due to start School this year!!!!
Old 5 Feb 2012, 12:05 (Ref:3021774)   #19
Middle_BBG
Racer

Middle_BBG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have a 3 hour drive home, but that won't stop us coming up to Donington. We know it'll be a late finish, but so what - a long day enjoying our hobby beats anything else.
Old 5 Feb 2012, 17:04 (Ref:3021876)   #20
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent
Racer

Scotland
Crewe
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, do I volunteer via BMMC midlands or via HSCC for the May meeting? I went last year & thoroughly enjoyed the meeting & the atmosphere
Cheers
Mike
Old 6 Feb 2012, 17:27 (Ref:3022255)   #21
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle_BBG View Post
We have a 3 hour drive home, but that won't stop us coming up to Donington. We know it'll be a late finish, but so what - a long day enjoying our hobby beats anything else.
I agree but This is going to turn into a "I can do better than that contest"! if we're not careful. There's some circuits say, Goodwood that takes 6+ hours to get to for me! Goodwood is up there with Donington as far as circuits go, I think anyway absolutely love the place. We've only got one life, if a place is worth going to you might as well go even if its only once in a lifetime.
Old 7 Feb 2012, 12:35 (Ref:3022630)   #22
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 'Bean' Broadbent View Post
Hi, do I volunteer via BMMC midlands or via HSCC for the May meeting? I went last year & thoroughly enjoyed the meeting & the atmosphere
Cheers
Mike
Mike,

Either method of volunteering is fine, both end up with the HSCC, you can also volunteer via Julians website or PM Fay
Old 7 Feb 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3022773)   #23
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent
Racer

Scotland
Crewe
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Alan, I'll contact Fay
Old 7 Feb 2012, 21:03 (Ref:3022823)   #24
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have decided to come back to Donington after nearly 10 years absence - due to "unpredictable" late finishes, particularly on Sundays, and ban on camping inside circuit.

I understand camping is now available again, and I have no problem with a "late" finish on Saturday for this sort of event. It is common in the USA to have historics finishing this late on a Saturday, but they do run time certain, so there is no overrun, and most clubs provide a hot meal after. I'm not expecting that at Donny I will be there.
Old 7 Feb 2012, 21:48 (Ref:3022842)   #25
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
I look forward to meeting you, Bob.