Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Oct 2018, 08:59 (Ref:3855116)   #201
mattcanary
Racer

mattcanary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Imagine a race where you didn’t have to pit if you didn’t want or need to
Yeah, make it so that you don;t have to pit if you don;t want to.
But also allow teams/drivers to make tyre pitstops if they wish.

Ie: a driver can easily get to the end of a race without making a pitstop if they choose a conservative tyre compound, or alternatively allow a driver to choose softer tyres to be quicker, but they won;t last the whole race.
No silly rules about having to use different compounds in a race, (although teams/drivers can, if they want to).

This situation existed previously in F1.
Old 7 Oct 2018, 09:08 (Ref:3855120)   #202
mattcanary
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't follow the WEC that closely but I believe that is the case. I watched GPs in the '70s and '80s and F1 teams would run on one set. They did so as recently 2005.
1989 French GP. Leyton House tried a non stop strategy. No-one expected it and they almost won the race with it, against the normally far quicker McLaren that did make a pitstop.
Nigel Mansell in the 1987 British GP against his team-mate Nelson Piquet when the Brummie famously closed down his team-mate, who ran nonstop. Both Williams were expected to make no pitstops that day.

I'm sure there are many, many other examples.
Old 7 Oct 2018, 09:12 (Ref:3855123)   #203
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Actually it was 1990 Paul Ricard March tried, but yeah you're right. It's also how Berger and Benetton scored their first win in Mexico 86, helped by the Pirellis lasting longer than the Goodyears. Others would gamble on it too, Johansson in the Onyx in Portugal 89 is another
Old 7 Oct 2018, 09:28 (Ref:3855130)   #204
mattcanary
Racer

I would also:
- allow in-season testing,
- allow unlimited sets of tyres in qualifying, (and just run a 60 minute session for all drivers throughout),
re-introduce proper gearboxes, (when it is possible for a driver to miss a gear),
- ban pit to driver and driver to pit communication, (apart from boards displayed from the pit lane)
- get rid of DRS and hybrid engines
- reduce levels of downforce and increasing braking distances
-introduce a small number of points for qualifying and for getting fastest lap of the race
- Bigger points gap between final positions in a race, and less people gaining points. Means that drivers would push more for a win, rather than settling for second.
- more equal prize-money, (or maybe no prize-money at all for constructors). Just a set, equal amount of money given to each team at the start or end of the season.

Unlike many people here it seems, I don;t like the idea of customer teams.
Just reduces the number of potential teams that can win races.

I'm sure many of the above are pipedreams, but I can always dream!
Old 7 Oct 2018, 10:25 (Ref:3855145)   #205
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I transferred this in from the Ferrari thread where it is probably out of place.

In 2014 the FIA allowed the introduction of hybrid ERS power units, the weight limit of the cars was gradually increased year on year until it had increased by around 200 kg by 2014 to compensate for the increased mass of the required KERS systems and batteries, !
For the second time you've tried to peddle this crap. It's simply untrue. Just shouting it again won't help.
Old 7 Oct 2018, 10:36 (Ref:3855149)   #206
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When it comes to fixing anything that has an audience/client base the first thing to do is to identify that base and what motivates them.

To me that is the fundamental issue with F1. They can't make up their mind who they are trying to appeal to and whether those fans or the teams are their clients.

Talk of changing tyre strategies, refuelling, losing/gaining downforce is all lipstick on a pig until the "sport" knows the intended market and accepts that there will always be a noisy element who aren't happy.

As far as I'm concerned it's impossible to please both the purist and the guy who has the choice of watching a football match or F1.
Old 7 Oct 2018, 11:25 (Ref:3855166)   #207
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcanary View Post
1989 French GP. Leyton House tried a non stop strategy. No-one expected it and they almost won the race with it, against the normally far quicker McLaren that did make a pitstop.
Nigel Mansell in the 1987 British GP against his team-mate Nelson Piquet when the Brummie famously closed down his team-mate, who ran nonstop. Both Williams were expected to make no pitstops that day.

I'm sure there are many, many other examples.
Mansell did the same thing at the British GP the previous year at Brands Hatch.
Old 7 Oct 2018, 14:21 (Ref:3855218)   #208
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Actually both Williams made pitstops that time and Mansell took the lead when his team mate missed a gear.

The great thing about getting rid of the two compound per race rule would mean we open up the possibility of having more surprises and upsets, as it would open race strategy more. As would having a tyre war
Old 7 Oct 2018, 14:26 (Ref:3855223)   #209
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i would say we saw the shortcomings of the mandated tire/pre selected compounds at play today.

much hotter race day then the previous two days...it is interesting to think how things might have been different if the teams had a much softer compound available (and one where they wouldnt have been able to utilize until the actual race).
Old 7 Oct 2018, 14:36 (Ref:3855234)   #210
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Actually both Williams made pitstops that time and Mansell took the lead when his team mate missed a gear.

The great thing about getting rid of the two compound per race rule would mean we open up the possibility of having more surprises and upsets, as it would open race strategy more. As would having a tyre war
I went to that race, the last GP to be held at Brands. Yes they did, I meant Mansell did the same thing in beating Piquet at the British GP. IIRC, Mansell pitted second and got out just in front of Piquet.
Old 7 Oct 2018, 14:42 (Ref:3855239)   #211
S griffin
Veteran

Yes that’s right, just held him off the two out laps, helped by a backmarker
Old 8 Oct 2018, 09:48 (Ref:3855377)   #212
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
For the second time you've tried to peddle this crap. It's simply untrue. Just shouting it again won't help.
I posted my logic together with references, you are welcome to live with your deluded beliefs. Good day.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 14:04 (Ref:3855436)   #213
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jut ignore him and his nonsense and move on, wnut. I've done the same.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3855453)   #214
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The current F1 rules have grown over a very long period until they are totally unwieldy and ridiculous. They are sticking plaster-over-sticking plaster-over-sticking paster, and a bureaucrats wet dream. I would take things back to a much more simple and open set of regulations. Perhaps something along these lines:
- Free engines including hybrid, but limit fuel to x litres for the race, and any other power storage (ie battery) to be discharged at the start. You would also need some sort of limit for qualifying, to prevent engines being turned-up to some inflated qually-spec.
- Minimal downforce, achieved by a total ban on aerofoil sections and "appendages", and some control of underbodies to prevent ground-effect.
- Free choice of tyres from a limited range. As many stops as you like, and use the same compound as many times as you like, or not.

It's cloud cuckoo land, but I too can dream!
Old 8 Oct 2018, 20:51 (Ref:3855520)   #215
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
- Minimal downforce, achieved by a total ban on aerofoil sections and "appendages", and some control of underbodies to prevent ground-effect.
Interesting idea. It will make the cars really slow though (as in 20 seconds a lap slower) as downforce makes them go fast by drastically increasing cornering forces.

Say they current make twice their weight in downforce. This means the lateral grip that can be generated at the tyre is tripled ( as the grip is proportional to the normal force on the tyre: car weight force + double car weight force in downforce).

F1 lap with G-meter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJRh9FG83d0

So if they can currently pull 5 G of lateral cornering acceleration, they will only be able to pull ~1.7 G without downforce which will make the cars a lot slower.

I rather enjoy how fast the 2017 and 2018 cars are! They are monsters in the bends, and at Suzuka they could still race quite well. Initiatives to revise the aerodynamic regulations to improve the ability to follow closely would be plenty IMO.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 8 Oct 2018 at 20:58.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 20:56 (Ref:3855522)   #216
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
We don't accept this kind of posting style …..
Old 8 Oct 2018, 22:37 (Ref:3855544)   #217
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Interesting idea. It will make the cars really slow though (as in 20 seconds a lap slower) as downforce makes them go fast by drastically increasing cornering forces.

Say they current make twice their weight in downforce. This means the lateral grip that can be generated at the tyre is tripled ( as the grip is proportional to the normal force on the tyre: car weight force + double car weight force in downforce).

F1 lap with G-meter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJRh9FG83d0

So if they can currently pull 5 G of lateral cornering acceleration, they will only be able to pull ~1.7 G without downforce which will make the cars a lot slower.

I rather enjoy how fast the 2017 and 2018 cars are! They are monsters in the bends, and at Suzuka they could still race quite well. Initiatives to revise the aerodynamic regulations to improve the ability to follow closely would be plenty IMO.
IMHO 20 seconds per lap slower would not be a problem per se. The only issue would be to slow down all other categories so that F1 was still the fastest. Otherwise, it wouldn't be Formula One.

Watch any video from the Goodwood Revival to see what racing could be like with no aero and rubbish tyres.

Last edited by TrapezeArtist; 8 Oct 2018 at 22:37. Reason: Fingers not doing what my brain told them to.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 23:42 (Ref:3855551)   #218
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
The current F1 rules have grown over a very long period until they are totally unwieldy and ridiculous. They are sticking plaster-over-sticking plaster-over-sticking paster, and a bureaucrats wet dream. I would take things back to a much more simple and open set of regulations. Perhaps something along these lines:
- Free engines including hybrid, but limit fuel to x litres for the race, and any other power storage (ie battery) to be discharged at the start. You would also need some sort of limit for qualifying, to prevent engines being turned-up to some inflated qually-spec.
- Free choice of tyres from a limited range. As many stops as you like, and use the same compound as many times as you like, or not.

It's cloud cuckoo land, but I too can dream!
Interesting but I would include ground effect.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 09:40 (Ref:3855628)   #219
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Watch any video from the Goodwood Revival to see what racing could be like with no aero and rubbish tyres.
Rubbish? I mean it's fun and all to watch but it's no proper racing.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 11:34 (Ref:3855650)   #220
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
what racing could be like with no aero and rubbish tyres.

Quote:
The original 1973 British Grand Prix (and similar) may be what is being referred to rather than Goodwood itself as such....

1973 British Grand Prix: https://youtu.be/lo9ynIrUakg?t=715 4-wheel-drifts through every bend and plenty of "if in doubt, flat out"! Certainly not rubbish or dull, unlike the (indeed) rather more sedate demonstration event at Goodwood.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 11:58 (Ref:3855656)   #221
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

It looked good indeed. Emphasis on looked. But the racing itself is hardly any different. As in any race, gaps form and nothing really happens for long stretches of time. Also saying these cars have 'no aero' is being quite a bit ahistorical.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3855679)   #222
S griffin
Veteran

We got a pass for the lead and no need for pitstops, plus different cars battling at the front, so that would help today
Old 9 Oct 2018, 15:40 (Ref:3855698)   #223
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I really don't know what to make of this. If cars on the limit, passing and re passing etc. isn't racing, then I've been doing something wrong for the last umpteen years!
Old 9 Oct 2018, 15:45 (Ref:3855699)   #224
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Goodwood is on the limit? Nah.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 16:00 (Ref:3855701)   #225
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
It's certainly on the limit of what I can afford