Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 7 Apr 2000, 20:41 (Ref:10804)   #1
Franklin
Racer

Franklin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Researchers at MIT have test fired a turbojet the size of a button that produces 1/3rd of a pound of thrust and spins at 2.5 million rpm. Once this technology gets out of the lab, it will be the end of racecar aerodynamics as we know it. Maybe even the end of racecars as we know them.

Because since they're the size of a button, you could for example put tens or hundreds of them in the undertray of a ground effects car to re-energize the air flowing through the diffusers. This would not only give the car more downforce but also a more stable downforce. You could also use them as a source of high speed air for blown air wings that for any given wing size -- especially at low speeds -- would provide more downforce than wings which depend entirely on the forward motion of the car. You could even eliminate wings and ground effects tunnels completely and make the skin of the car not only a downforce-producing system but also a mechanism for augmenting steering. Taken to its ultimate end, we could see cars with no apparent engine where the skin itself provides propulsion, steering, and braking.

Old 8 Apr 2000, 09:05 (Ref:10805)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Franklin.

Without in any way wishing to appear patronising.

I WISH I WAS SMOKING WHAT YOU'RE SMOKING

Old 9 Apr 2000, 02:24 (Ref:10806)   #3
Franklin
Racer

Peter, us colonials spell patronizing with a z. We're also the ones who introduced wings, fan suction ground effects, etc.
Old 9 Apr 2000, 05:17 (Ref:10807)   #4
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will say that Frankie has a very fertile imagination, if nothing else.
Old 9 Apr 2000, 06:28 (Ref:10808)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lay off a little. If there aren't any major gains in car design or aerodynamics, i would be very surprised. Look how far we have come in 30 years, things will change. Whether or not this idea every happens, i don't know or really care.
Old 9 Apr 2000, 16:36 (Ref:10809)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Franklin:
Peter, us colonials spell patronizing with a z. We're also the ones who introduced wings, fan suction ground effects, etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HAHAHA.

Yep the old Chaperral (is that how its spelt?) was innovative to say the least. However, you must admit that putting "buttons" on the surface of a car is a little far-fetched.

The fan system was banned because it was a mechanical aerodynamic aid. Unless the rules changed I could see that these "buttons" would be similar "mechanical aids".

BTW. The USA also gave the world the Cobra but they needed a British chassis to start from. So it works both ways.

[This message has been edited by Peter Mallett (edited 09 April 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Peter Mallett (edited 09 April 2000).]
Old 9 Apr 2000, 16:52 (Ref:10810)   #7
bobdrummond
Racer

bobdrummond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No question, those 'buttons' would be seen by most sanctioning bodies as being "movable aerodynamic devices", and swiftly banned.
On another note, I believe Nascar are looking at modifying the Winston Cup Rules to update technology to the point of Pneumatic Tyres & Internal Combustion Engines. Wow!
Old 9 Apr 2000, 18:53 (Ref:10811)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bobdrummond:

On another note, I believe Nascar are looking at modifying the Winston Cup Rules to update technology to the point of Pneumatic Tyres & Internal Combustion Engines. Wow!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on be serious. Internal combustion?

Old 9 Apr 2000, 19:03 (Ref:10812)   #9
Franklin
Racer

Actually, what I said was "the size of a button" not "yada yada yada BUTTON."
Old 9 Apr 2000, 20:23 (Ref:10813)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still cant get over another thread with the muppet take over of F1 with the external combustion engine....classic
Old 10 Apr 2000, 13:35 (Ref:10814)   #11
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I guess I am a bit dissappointed that no-one takes the time to grasp a bit of technical innovations and just comes around for an easy joke.

Remembering the tales of a little Porsche Spyder of two German brothers on the Nurburgring in 1954 which featured a giant wing ........ all paddock hilarious and joking at first, but no-one laughed anymore when they circled the track faster than the workscars with their stardrivers.

It's engineering innovation of projects as Cisitalia, Chaparral, March and Lotus which made our sport as it is today.

'Interesting stuff' is all I'd like to say.

Regards,

Dino IV