Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Nov 2018, 22:42 (Ref:3862609)   #1226
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
BMR Racing have finally filed their accounts for 2016.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...filing-history

All I will say is WOW!!
Some big numbers there!
Old 11 Nov 2018, 23:12 (Ref:3862616)   #1227
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From my reading of the accounts, that company was trading whilst insolvent - massively. And they're not signed off by an accountant, either.

No wonder they weren't paying their bills!
Old 12 Nov 2018, 08:18 (Ref:3862691)   #1228
CroftPilgrim
Racer

CroftPilgrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Plato in a BMW would be very interesting and I wouldn't completely rule it out
My prediction is we will see Plato in a new team in a new car. We might not have heard any rumours about new models but Plato has managed to surprise us before. He also has a history of getting new models into the championship and developing them - it's what he likes to do and is good at!

I also wouldn't be surprised if that new team involves Ian Harrison in some way....
Old 12 Nov 2018, 09:47 (Ref:3862712)   #1229
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftPilgrim View Post
He also has a history of getting new models into the championship and developing them - it's what he likes to do and is good at!
Really? He likes driving an un-competitive car in the hope it'll come good? Isn't that what he's been doing with the Subaru? How's that worked out for him? Previously he's driven what:

Williams Renault Laguna - front running car
888 Vauxhall Astra Coupe - works outfit front running car from the off
SEAT Leon - works outfit front running car (Did he drive the works Toldeo as well?)
Chevrolet Lacetti - RML built car, front running in WTCC prior to BTCC outings
Chevrolet Cruze - See above
MG6 - 888 built (when they were still good), front running car when new
VW CC - This is the only one so far that wouldn't be called a front runner before he got in it.
Subaru Levorg - Driven to a championship and very nearly a second - but not by Plato who has died on his arse in the Levorg.

So basically - "developing cars" doesn't feature much there and "bringing in new cars" is the Subaru and MG?. "Hop in a top car" seems more of the pattern and quite honestly who can blame him? "Would sir like a **** car that you need to improve or a race winner from day one?" - not exactly tricky is it?

I'm no Plato fan - but seeing him flat bottom of the standings this season was odd considering how well the Subaru was going in Ash's hands. Second half of the season the Subaru looked to be the best car in race trim so quite what was going on with Plato - who knows?
Old 12 Nov 2018, 10:21 (Ref:3862718)   #1230
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He drove the SEAT Toledo in 2004-05 and that was a good car albeit hampered by ballest
Old 12 Nov 2018, 10:32 (Ref:3862723)   #1231
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
My prediction is we will see Plato in a new team in a new car. We might not have heard any rumours about new models but Plato has managed to surprise us before. He also has a history of getting new models into the championship and developing them - it's what he likes to do and is good at!

I also wouldn't be surprised if that new team involves Ian Harrison in some way....
Maybe , Plato , Harrison and Rob Smedley , new team with old but strong skill set , all ex Willys TCE !!!!!!! anything is possible
Old 12 Nov 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3862731)   #1232
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I see you connecting the dots together there
Old 12 Nov 2018, 12:04 (Ref:3862735)   #1233
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I see you connecting the dots together there
Heard that ‘H’ has reclaimed a corner of his workshop from the Ford GT team.

I wonder what he might want that for?
Old 12 Nov 2018, 12:11 (Ref:3862736)   #1234
CroftPilgrim
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Really? He likes driving an un-competitive car in the hope it'll come good? Isn't that what he's been doing with the Subaru? How's that worked out for him? Previously he's driven what:

Williams Renault Laguna - front running car
888 Vauxhall Astra Coupe - works outfit front running car from the off
SEAT Leon - works outfit front running car (Did he drive the works Toldeo as well?)
Chevrolet Lacetti - RML built car, front running in WTCC prior to BTCC outings
Chevrolet Cruze - See above
MG6 - 888 built (when they were still good), front running car when new
VW CC - This is the only one so far that wouldn't be called a front runner before he got in it.
Subaru Levorg - Driven to a championship and very nearly a second - but not by Plato who has died on his arse in the Levorg.

So basically - "developing cars" doesn't feature much there and "bringing in new cars" is the Subaru and MG?. "Hop in a top car" seems more of the pattern and quite honestly who can blame him? "Would sir like a **** car that you need to improve or a race winner from day one?" - not exactly tricky is it?

I'm no Plato fan - but seeing him flat bottom of the standings this season was odd considering how well the Subaru was going in Ash's hands. Second half of the season the Subaru looked to be the best car in race trim so quite what was going on with Plato - who knows?
I never said he likes driving an un-competitive car in the hope it'll come good. Firstly, Plato doesn't base his projects on mere "hope" and secondly, there's only the Levorg that hasn't worked our for him personally.

MG - developed from scratch, with Plato involved from the beginning of the project, into what was the best FWD car.

CC - Showed flashes of potential when first introduced. Jason involved in further development with BMR which turned it into a front runner.

SEAT - Yes he drove the Toledo and was AFAIK involved in bringing them into the BTCC in the first place. SEAT Leon developed in the BTCC with Plato.

Levorg - Plato responsible for bringing Subaru back in. Yes, he hasn't run at the front, which is why no-one expects him to still be driving it in 2019

Lacetti - Slightly different in being an already well developed car, he was still responsible for bringing it to the BTCC - and at last minute. There were no rumours - he kept it well under the radar.

Jason wants to be at the front, but he prefers to be involved in the whole project and develop a team and car, rather than just hop-in to proven machinery. He's said as much himself.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 13:13 (Ref:3862743)   #1235
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
MG - developed from scratch, with Plato involved from the beginning of the project, into what was the best FWD car.
Built by 888 who were still a good team at that point - debatable how much influence Plato had on it being a good car.

Quote:
CC - Showed flashes of potential when first introduced. Jason involved in further development with BMR which turned it into a front runner.
I'd agree here - he got some good results out of that car.

Quote:
SEAT - Yes he drove the Toledo and was AFAIK involved in bringing them into the BTCC in the first place. SEAT Leon developed in the BTCC with Plato.
I thought the Leon was another WTCC car that was brought into the BTCC rather than being developed for the BTCC?

Quote:
Levorg - Plato responsible for bringing Subaru back in. Yes, he hasn't run at the front, which is why no-one expects him to still be driving it in 2019
So yes he brought in the manufacturer/car but he's not exactly done a job of developing it has he? He's developed it so much nobody expects him to want to drive it next season.

Quote:
Lacetti - Slightly different in being an already well developed car, he was still responsible for bringing it to the BTCC - and at last minute. There were no rumours - he kept it well under the radar.
Good job of bringing it in - and as you say - last minute but a proven car. Does of course beg the question of why he couldn't get a drive anywhere else?

Quote:
Jason wants to be at the front, but he prefers to be involved in the whole project and develop a team and car, rather than just hop-in to proven machinery.
Not sure I believe that from any driver - why would you want to spend your time going through the pain of developing a car when you could be winning from day one? Look at Dynamics this year - new car, needs developing - so they were out of the hunt for the championship early on.

Quote:
He's said as much himself.
He says quite a lot
Old 12 Nov 2018, 13:23 (Ref:3862744)   #1236
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
....and we are down a Plato rabbit hole again.

Lot's of misunderstanding here. I think the main point of the recent post is that JP is instrumental in bringing several cars/deals to the series. With JP not doing the pitching, there wouldn't have been Seat, Subaru or MG in the championship. Let's hope he's been busy working hard on another new deal.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 14:23 (Ref:3862751)   #1237
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
Heard that ‘H’ has reclaimed a corner of his workshop from the Ford GT team.

I wonder what he might want that for?
His boat?
Old 12 Nov 2018, 18:24 (Ref:3862857)   #1238
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe that Kia at last?!🤪
Old 12 Nov 2018, 18:34 (Ref:3862863)   #1239
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post

Lot's of misunderstanding here. I think the main point of the recent post is that JP is instrumental in bringing several cars/deals to the series. With JP not doing the pitching, there wouldn't have been Seat, Subaru or MG in the championship. Let's hope he's been busy working hard on another new deal.
There would still have been SEAT.
SEAT approached Jason rather than the other way around.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 18:39 (Ref:3862866)   #1240
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
speaking of old Toledo and Plato anyone remember this ?? "he is an absolute pig "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsrYhh4qoKE

Last edited by porsche962fan; 12 Nov 2018 at 18:45.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 23:03 (Ref:3862910)   #1241
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
His boat?
That's probably a lot more accurate than a number of rumours.

Smiley will be a shoe-in for one of the new BTC Norlin FK8's as he brings Norlin to the team, but they'll need to dig deeper to fund it. The other seat will need a very well funded driver with plenty of £££ as previously mentioned.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 23:31 (Ref:3862918)   #1242
CroftPilgrim
Racer

Quote:

Thanks Bob. Yes, that was pretty much my point.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 08:44 (Ref:3862976)   #1243
S griffin
Veteran

Well does Plato still have that marketability in him?
Old 13 Nov 2018, 09:01 (Ref:3862985)   #1244
CM388
Racer

CM388 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Undoubtably, he's arguably the most well-known name in and outside of the BTCC thanks to that work he does on the tellybox and I'd be surprised if a couple of under par seasons have lessened his ability to bring sponsors on board.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 09:23 (Ref:3862989)   #1245
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I guess that's a question for Plato Performance Ltd, or Brand Pilot Ltd?

If they can't market 'Plato the Driver', he may still be involved with marketing the BTCC to potential investment streams.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 09:26 (Ref:3862990)   #1246
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He’s won two races in the last 3 years and he’s still talk of the town. I don’t think he’d struggle to sell himself to sponsors even after the last few seasons.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3863004)   #1247
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given that he is the most talked about driver on this very forum topic, he probably has more marketing power than any other driver on the grid.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 11:53 (Ref:3863013)   #1248
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
He's easily capable of talking the talk, he's probably the best deal maker in BTCC, currently and historically.

I really would like to see him in a car that suits his driving style and a few more years of Plato/ Neale ding dongs.

Last edited by Alfisti; 13 Nov 2018 at 12:02.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 12:37 (Ref:3863024)   #1249
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
There would still have been SEAT.
SEAT approached Jason rather than the other way around.
JP worked hard to pull off the deal and was a driving force.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 13:08 (Ref:3863026)   #1250
Petoli
Racer

United Kingdom
Petoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
JP worked hard to pull off the deal and was a driving force.

SEAT UK had initially planned to enter a pair of Toledo's in the 2004 ETCC, That was why we had the 2003 Seat Cupra Championship which was run by SEAT themselves , so they could find a driver to join their ETCC campaign.
Plato was signed by SEAT as a driver coach for that Series. Then the BTCC allowed S2000 cars into the series SEAT decided to enter that instead.
Was Plato the one who convinced them to change their plans?