Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Closed Thread

Old 15 Mar 2012, 10:31 (Ref:3041390)   #51
Peter Cammish
Rookie

Peter Cammish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The idea of the Scholarship is I guess for drivers to go for a two year plan, if it gave you money to pay towards a drive then I guess that would be the answer but look at Keiron Vernon in Porsche Cup, he won the money from Porsche but could not raise the rest so Porsche changed the rules and I suspect will also change how they select the drivers going forward.
Personally for me FF can only have relevance if they make a 2nd or 3rd year driver car with more power and wings so you have progression in the series, that way a driver like say Scott would be very attractive to teams running in the championship and perhaps the FF winner also gets a money prize to spend in the faster category the year after which is what Mazda do in the States with Indy Lights.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 20:48 (Ref:3041802)   #52
FFmygale
Racer

England
UK
FFmygale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately I can't help but think that the powers that be in ford could do with a helping hand in the thought department.

I agree completely that a prize for the scholarship winner and not for the overall championship winner seems like madness.......but.....(through fear of damaging the series further) want to try and put a positive spin on the fact that they are, at last, trying to do something to encourage people to take up the Eco Boost. However, attempts at short term fixes rarely succeed in providing a long term solution and I can't see that this is anything but an attempt at fixing a short term problem. What the championship really needs is some sort of incentive for people to convert to the new cars or, more importantly, to race in the championship full stop! Perhaps if there were a £50k prize for the winner of the championship then there may be much greater interest from career minded drivers (and would have helped Scotts plight dramatically I would imagine!). Providing a prize for the winner of the scholarship class (a prize that is clearly an afterthought for a class that had a mere handful of drivers) but nothing for the outstanding winner of the main championship actually sends a very strange message to future prospective competitors surely?!!!!
Old 15 Mar 2012, 21:28 (Ref:3041819)   #53
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFmygale View Post
Unfortunately I can't help but think that the powers that be in ford could do with a helping hand in the thought department.

I agree completely that a prize for the scholarship winner and not for the overall championship winner seems like madness.......but.....(through fear of damaging the series further) want to try and put a positive spin on the fact that they are, at last, trying to do something to encourage people to take up the Eco Boost. However, attempts at short term fixes rarely succeed in providing a long term solution and I can't see that this is anything but an attempt at fixing a short term problem. What the championship really needs is some sort of incentive for people to convert to the new cars or, more importantly, to race in the championship full stop! Perhaps if there were a £50k prize for the winner of the championship then there may be much greater interest from career minded drivers (and would have helped Scotts plight dramatically I would imagine!). Providing a prize for the winner of the scholarship class (a prize that is clearly an afterthought for a class that had a mere handful of drivers) but nothing for the outstanding winner of the main championship actually sends a very strange message to future prospective competitors surely?!!!!
Thanks for your comments Peter & FFMygale. Both good suggestions. I too neither want to see the category damaged or indeed diminished any further; the clue is in my USER ID both here & on Twitter where I call myself FFfan. That is genuinly what I am. I enjoyed watching the category as a teenage motor racing fan in the 70's, loved racing in it myself in the 80's and have thoroughly enjoyed Scott's adventure for the past couple of seasons. I have another (younger) son who would dearly love to have a go and I think could well do a decent job if given the opportunity - he certainly went well when he tried out Scott's car late last year.

But you are so right. Ford really do need to put some thought into this and perhaps their motorsport strategy as a whole. They seem to be willing to pour considerable funds into their sponsorship of Premier League Football on Sky Television as this equates to sales in the road car market. But since the legendary John Webb (bless him) dreamed up Formula Ford in back in the 60's it has for the main been a thriving Formula and helped develop the careers of many professional drivers. But it isn't the only show in town anymore and if Ford genuinly want to see drivers sign up for their championship, which I assume they must having invested heavily in the ECOboost car, then there has to be an incentive for drivers to be there!

I have largely stayed out of this debate but yes you are so right £50k would save Scott's season. He would be racing now if we had it! And what would it cost Ford? Surely it would be an investment if it encouraged drivers to join their championship knowing there was a prize worth winning? How much do they spend on advertising on Sky Sports Football? A lot more than £50k I should imagine. It's just a shame after everything we've had to go through to get Scott this far there is nothing at the end of it for him. RANT DONE

Dominic Malvern - Scott's (long suffering) dad
Old 20 Mar 2012, 23:13 (Ref:3045695)   #54
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just thought I'd like to post something positive on here for once. Scott has been selected as the driver for the BAC Mono supercar to compete at the Pageant of Power at Cholmondeley http://www.cpop.co.uk/ 15-17th June

Ok we know this isn't racing as such being a point to point against the clock event like the Goodwood Festival of Speed but never the less it's competition and something different for Scott and I know it will be great fun driving a mega car so a big thank you to BAC Mono for selecting him!
Old 22 Mar 2012, 08:25 (Ref:3046415)   #55
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why are Ford in it at all? If they cannot fund a decent prize for the most deserving champion..and as discussed here, only a scholarship prize in the knowledge the driver will compete in a Ford powered car in 2012...where is the benefit for them? Rest assured if Scott found the money and went on to F1, with other engine power, they'd quickly make a point in their PR that he started his career with Ford products...they'd love him then! A decent prize seems sensible, it would attract drivers, get FF back to being the premier junior series and Ford could reap the rewards in PR as they have with many FF champions that have gone on to greater things. Perhaps we need 'SuperFord' FF2000 back.. a step up. A great Formula in its day after a shaky start, but keep it sensible in costs..which is why FF was created back in '67 in the first place..keep it cheap, unlike UK F.Renault. We've seen what has happened there.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 10:26 (Ref:3046471)   #56
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramonramon View Post
He has just signed for enigma - duratec- British and European formula ford 2012.
Don't know anything about him, but apparently he's no relation to Mark Blundell (I asked myself in the Formula Ford thread).
Old 24 Mar 2012, 21:36 (Ref:3047667)   #57
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This week's Autosport talks about F3 with CF racing, any truth in the story?
I really hope so Scot is an awesome driver and the Lloyd family are really good guys and do know a lot about F3
Old 25 Mar 2012, 15:03 (Ref:3048037)   #58
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Scott was with the team at the test day last week. I guess it all depends on whether he finds the cash for it.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 21:23 (Ref:3049035)   #59
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
There's a test at Oulton on Wednesday. Maybe they'll give him a few laps to see how he goes.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 14:56 (Ref:3052931)   #60
FFfan
Racer

As has been reported elsewhere on this forum we are pleased to announce that Scott has accepted a very late deal to compete in the Pro-Tyre BARC Formula Renault Championship this season.

Whilst this is pragmatic decision on Scott's part, we believe that this will be a challenging environment for Scott to continue his career and the fact that he is coming to it very late with no pre-sesaon testing - he literally only got his hands on the car yesterday and there is quite a bit to do to have it ready for this weekend - and there are some very good teams in the championship such as Fortec and current champions Antel for us as new kids on the block to compete against.

A big thank you to Cullen Motorsport and Cliff Dempsey Racing for making all this possible.

Scott hasn't quite given up on the hope of jumping into an F3 or F2 car this season if the opportunity presents itself but in the meantime we are just all pleased that he is able to keep racing.

If the mod feels that this thread has now run its course & wants to close it down then you will have no complaints from us.

We'd like to wish all drivers, officials, marshalls & spectators a great 2012 season. If you see Scott or I around the circuits then please don't forget to come & say hello.

Dominic Malvern

Last edited by FFfan; 3 Apr 2012 at 15:00. Reason: Typo
Old 3 Apr 2012, 19:39 (Ref:3053093)   #61
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic news Dominic, couldn't be happier for him.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 20:34 (Ref:3053124)   #62
FFfan
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Fantastic news Dominic, couldn't be happier for him.
Thank You CDS. That's very kind of you!
Old 3 Apr 2012, 22:16 (Ref:3053183)   #63
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it really is good news - experience is never a bad thing, and there's no right or wrong way to go about things, particularly nowadays.

good luck from everyone at tenths
Old 3 Apr 2012, 22:44 (Ref:3053197)   #64
FFfan
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it really is good news - experience is never a bad thing, and there's no right or wrong way to go about things, particularly nowadays.

good luck from everyone at tenths
Thank you very much Bella
Old 4 Apr 2012, 13:55 (Ref:3053461)   #65
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good luck to Scott. BARC Renault is a very good series... and fingers crossed Scott will do well in it.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 18:27 (Ref:3054964)   #66
Deemun
Racer

Deemun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott was less than 4 laps away from a debut win in BARC FR at the opening round of the championship at Snetterton today. After qualifying 2nd he took the lead from Josh Webster on lap three and pulled a sizable gap when his gear linkage broke leaving the car stuck in 6th gear. He limped home in 12th place.

Big commiserations but having done a deal so late in the day perparation was always going to be compromised with an unknown car arriving at the last minute.

For those who ever doubted his ability to race a winged car he demonstrated today that he has the pace.

I wish him all the best for tomorrows 2 races.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 19:13 (Ref:3054988)   #67
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemun View Post
For those who ever doubted his ability to race a winged car he demonstrated today that he has the pace.
I was watching from various points during the wet qualifying and it was clear the car was far from sorted. Massive understeer. Under the circumstances 2nd fastest was a great result.

In the dry race Malvern was in a different class quite frankly. Until the problem with the gearbox.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 20:18 (Ref:3055035)   #68
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the record, series debutant Seb Morris, aged 16, captured pole for all three races, and today's race was won by Josh Webster with David Wagner finishing second.
Old 8 Apr 2012, 18:47 (Ref:3055460)   #69
Deemun
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
For the record, series debutant Seb Morris, aged 16, captured pole for all three races, and today's race was won by Josh Webster with David Wagner finishing second.
Quite correct & congats to Seb for taking a win in race 2! After Scott's car problems yesterday with gear linkage which saw him drop back in the latter stages after pulling a healthy lead, he unfortunately suffered further woes in race two this morning when fuel pick up in the latter stages caused him to lose power and dropped him from 2nd to 3rd but thankfully it all came good for him when he took a comfortable win in race 3 which was great to see.

Considering there has been no pre-sesaon testing or even any prep of the car which literally jsut arrived a couple of days before Snett he & the team have done a great job. They should be much better prepared for the next one!
Old 8 Apr 2012, 19:01 (Ref:3055464)   #70
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Considering there has been no pre-sesaon testing or even any prep of the car which literally jsut arrived a couple of days before Snett he & the team have done a great job. They should be much better prepared for the next one!
Great to see what can be achieved in a car that hasn't turned a wheel for years, a tiny budget, a great engineer and a talented driver. Excellent job roll on Rockingham!
Old 9 Apr 2012, 12:52 (Ref:3055795)   #71
FFfan
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Great to see what can be achieved in a car that hasn't turned a wheel for years, a tiny budget, a great engineer and a talented driver. Excellent job roll on Rockingham!
Thanks Flavio. Scott was always going to be up against it this weekend in an untested & unproven car which he has now affectionately Christened "The Shed"!

Snetterton was effectively his shakedown so to be so competitive in all three races was great. Ultimately car issues, due to severe lack of prep time, let him down in races 1 & 2. Thankfully in race 3 it all managed to stay together for him. He can hold his head up because he definately did his job!

Well done as well to Josh Webster, good to see him racing, a driver in very similar circumstances to Scott and as the 2011 runner up it's great to have him there and to young Seb Morris for an excellent debut in single seaters.
Old 27 Oct 2012, 21:36 (Ref:3158670)   #72
FFfan
Racer

Pleasantly surprised to see this thread still open so for the record just want to thank all those who helped Scott this season especially Patrick Cullen & Cullen Motorsport.

Considering it looked as though Scott wouldn't compete at all this year things didn't work out too bad!

People keep asking what is he doing next year? Honest answer...really don't know but he is very open to offers!

Dominic Malvern (Scott's dad/manager/gofer/dogsbody etc........)
Old 10 Dec 2013, 19:25 (Ref:3342450)   #73
Deemun
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFfan View Post
Pleasantly surprised to see this thread still open so for the record just want to thank all those who helped Scott this season especially Patrick Cullen & Cullen Motorsport.

Considering it looked as though Scott wouldn't compete at all this year things didn't work out too bad!

People keep asking what is he doing next year? Honest answer...really don't know but he is very open to offers!

Dominic Malvern (Scott's dad/manager/gofer/dogsbody etc........)
Written over a year ago & sadly Scott spent most of the 2013 season on the sidelines but then reminded us all just how good he is by dominating in a field of the highest quality in The Walter Hayes Trophy at Silverstone last month!

He also had a great Pro-Mazda test in America with Team Pelfrey so is there something on offer for him there? I'm sure he would do great on the Road To Indy package. I also know that Scott has applied to the KX Akademy once again (he was unsuccessful in his bid for support from them in 2013) so maybe there could be an opening on the BTCC package in either G55's or Clio's if they pick him up this time?

When you look at his career stats, he has won almost half of the 100 odd races he has taken part in, won a number of single seater championships, and been a double MABA finalist twice it frankly puzzles me that he has not received support from the right people but it just doesn't seem to happen for him.

I wish him all the luck in the world to keep his career on track!
Old 10 Dec 2013, 20:18 (Ref:3342460)   #74
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I will second that.
Old 30 Dec 2013, 21:28 (Ref:3349027)   #75
Deemun
Racer

Quote:
Written over a year ago & sadly Scott spent most of the 2013 season on the sidelines but then reminded us all just how good he is by dominating in a field of the highest quality in The Walter Hayes Trophy at Silverstone last month!

He also had a great Pro-Mazda test in America with Team Pelfrey so is there something on offer for him there? I'm sure he would do great on the Road To Indy package. I also know that Scott has applied to the KX Akademy once again (he was unsuccessful in his bid for support from them in 2013) so maybe there could be an opening on the BTCC package in either G55's or Clio's if they pick him up this time?

When you look at his career stats, he has won almost half of the 100 odd races he has taken part in, won a number of single seater championships, and been a double MABA finalist twice it frankly puzzles me that he has not received support from the right people but it just doesn't seem to happen for him.

Unbelievably I have heard that KX Akademy have rejected Scott's application even though he had two very good offers on the table for both the G55 & Clio championships. Frankly I find this hard to understand. The KX advertse their ethos as being there to give a helping hand to drivers who have proved they have the talent and dedication to succeed. Who has done this more than Scott Malvern? Just look at his results and record of success despite the lack of major financial backing yet those that run this so called talent spotting scheme have rejected his application for a 2nd successive year. I'd really like to know why?
Closed Thread