Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Sep 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2539127)   #26
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
I much more preferred getting rid of the first two chicanes.
Now you're talking...
Old 12 Sep 2009, 18:05 (Ref:2539144)   #27
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
I much more preferred getting rid of the first two chicanes.
Doesn't everyone?
Old 12 Sep 2009, 19:15 (Ref:2539181)   #28
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I was thinking today, even just getting rid of that first chicane would be crazy..

Selby
Old 12 Sep 2009, 19:24 (Ref:2539186)   #29
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Get the track surrounded by swimming pool traps. That'd deter them from cutting.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 20:12 (Ref:2539228)   #30
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Charlie Whiting send 'a letter' about cutting chicanes...
Old 12 Sep 2009, 20:40 (Ref:2539243)   #31
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Last year it was more a case of just running wide in the damp conditions.

You jump the curbs as much as you can get away with to gain time. You should have seen how much air the CART machines were getting through the chicanes at Surfers Paradise in the early '90s. After the NASCAR boys were doing the same thing in the chicane on the main straight at Mexico City, they took the chicane back out.

They should bypass the first chicane at Monza at least on the the opening lap, which was what they did in 1972-76.

Frankly, I'd like to see the old 3.573-mile configuration back, and they could just add SAFER barriers outside of Curva Grande, the Lesmos, Viadone (think that was the name of it prior to the Ascari Chicane), and possibly Parabolica.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2539250)   #32
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I was thinking today, even just getting rid of that first chicane would be crazy..

Selby
It has been done this year for le-Mans testing.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 21:05 (Ref:2539256)   #33
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Frankly, I'd like to see the old 3.573-mile configuration back, and they could just add SAFER barriers outside of Curva Grande, the Lesmos, Viadone (think that was the name of it prior to the Ascari Chicane), and possibly Parabolica.
I'm not a safety nut but I think it would take a bit more than just SAFER barriers to make such a track viably safe. The whole track is surrounded by trees, for a start
Old 12 Sep 2009, 22:59 (Ref:2539303)   #34
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I fail to see the problem with the kerbs. The drivers have plenty enough "flat" kerb to run over. The raised bit is in a perfectly reasonable position. If it is so big and evil, what with being able to hurt their cars, or whatever else is being whined about, well, they could just decide to not drive over them. If they make a mistake and hit them and cause a problem for themselves, well, then I guess they shouldn't have made the mistake.

I'd rather like to see tracks removing tarmac run-offs, replacing them with grass and gravel traps, and removing all kerbs. With no kerbs, there can be no complaining about them being too big. I kinda like the like the look of kerbs, though, so perhaps a middle ground whereby they are dramatically reduced in size: like down to one tyre width, as opposed to a car width!
Old 12 Sep 2009, 23:22 (Ref:2539308)   #35
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I would certainly vote for the removal of tarmac run off at almost every corner.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 02:22 (Ref:2539359)   #36
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I would certainly vote for the removal of tarmac run off at every corner.

I corrected you post for you
Old 13 Sep 2009, 04:31 (Ref:2539380)   #37
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Well, that depends what is defined as "viably safe". We hear all these remarks, but Monaco is still on the F1 schedule. We've seen the addition of Singapore. Heck, racing is even still allowed to take place at Macau for crying out loud.

This came up in a previous thread, so I'll just say my peace now. As for racing on virtually unimproved roads (or courses that have no, few, or what are still/otherwise said to be inadequate safety prerequisites), it is not only permitted to exist, but the FIA sanctions a whole series that consists entirely of such events. I believe it is known as the WRC.

Sorry for the bit of rambling, but it was on my mind.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 10:16 (Ref:2539483)   #38
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and the WRC have different safety designs and average less than half the speed.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 10:19 (Ref:2539487)   #39
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The WRC is a separate discipline, and with regards to the WTCC they are Super 2000 cars with less power, less speed and more protection for the drivers in some regards.

Singapore has tarmac run-off, but mainly that's on to side streets. Whilst it does have its disadvantages, such as it being somewhat unsightly in some areas, it has advantages in that SCs are less necessary to remove cars, and cars will be able to stop on their own brakes rather than bouncing over wet grass ...
Old 13 Sep 2009, 11:09 (Ref:2539521)   #40
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
I fail to see the problem with the kerbs. The drivers have plenty enough "flat" kerb to run over. The raised bit is in a perfectly reasonable position. If it is so big and evil, what with being able to hurt their cars, or whatever else is being whined about, well, they could just decide to not drive over them. If they make a mistake and hit them and cause a problem for themselves, well, then I guess they shouldn't have made the mistake.

The problem I have with them is that the new high kerb is being used as a deterrent to corner cutting without really addressing the cause of the problem.

As I said before, having tarmac, grasscrete or whatever immediately behind a kerb effectively creates one massive kerb therefore the drivers will use it if it gains them an advantage, its the same story with tarmac on the exit of corners.

If they had low, skinny kerbs and grass or gravel behind then the drivers would gain no advantage by cutting the corner.

Instead of this, the FIA/Circuit owners have broken the flow of the circuit and are now planning to hand out drive throughs to anyone who makes 3 small mistakes. If you outbrake yourself into the turn then your only option to avoid Mont Blanc ripping a hole in the floor is to cut the corner!!
Old 13 Sep 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2539558)   #41
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Crikey!!
Old 13 Sep 2009, 14:34 (Ref:2539676)   #42
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post

Selby
It would require drivers to have courage. That wouldn't be a bad thing, would it?
Old 13 Sep 2009, 15:12 (Ref:2539712)   #43
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
Well nothing happened in the end, shows how much I know!!

Anyway, next race....Singapore....Racing in the dark is a bit risky isn't it? Discuss!!!!!
Old 13 Sep 2009, 20:21 (Ref:2539932)   #44
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by olly83 View Post

Anyway, next race....Singapore....Racing in the dark is a bit risky isn't it? Discuss!!!!!
Not as risky as boogieing in the shower with a toaster listening to Queen.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 20:35 (Ref:2539949)   #45
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Not as risky as boogieing in the shower with a toaster listening to Queen.
Are you speaking from experience?!!
Old 14 Sep 2009, 02:51 (Ref:2540151)   #46
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by olly83 View Post

Was for Nelsinho