Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 6 Feb 2009, 17:19 (Ref:2389903)   #26
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Think this thread has become related to "a fitter" rather than "a better" marshal !

However, as I still strive for the latter and have given up hope on the former, I am still considering future options which might help newbies improve their skills.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 18:37 (Ref:2389943)   #27
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by staid davenport
Fitness! I think experienced marshalls could also concentrate on improving their general health and fitness whilst on duty.
Let's not overdo the 'fitness' thing. All that's required is just a normal level of fitness - if you can walk to the local shops & back, you're fit enough.

One of the points made at my very first training day & emphasised since by several wise Observers & IOs is: don't run to incidents. There are several reasons for this, which have in the past been discussed on ten-tenths.

With respect to the original question, marshalling is like any job; knowing the 'hows' makes you competent, knowing the 'whys' makes you excellent.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 19:10 (Ref:2389956)   #28
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any way,if your fit your gonna get to the crash quicker,
if you ain`t as healthy it will take a bit longer,so therefore you can do your count to 10 bit on your way
and yes i speak from experience.
but at 18st i can still go a good few knots

Old 6 Feb 2009, 19:20 (Ref:2389964)   #29
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recently ended up seeing a doctor because of a nasty pain in my foot, which turned out to be "plantar fasciitis". The plantar fascia is the tendon-like tissue that joins your heel to the ball of your foot, and it can get inflamed with walking, standing, wearing hard-soled footwear, being overweight and having cold/tense calf muscle. I am usually guilty as charged on all 5 counts, and I need to do something about it otherwise I'm going to end up driving a fire tender or rescue unit for the rest of my days.

For a beginner, I would advise choosing footwear carefully, and learning a few relaxed or semi-dynamic lower leg stretches to practice before going on post and throughout the day.

For those in the Northampton area, my combat taekwondo school is planning a "bring a buddy" free lesson at the end of February - good opportunity to learn about stretching, and about fitness, combat and self-defence in general. The lesson will be at a school near M1 J15 - PM me for details. And no you're not allowed to practice the combat techniques on stroppy drivers...
Old 7 Feb 2009, 07:20 (Ref:2390185)   #30
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All I will add to the fitness thing and for those who dont want to learn how to beat your mates to a pulp is Yoga, basic yoga techniques will keep not just your body agile and relaxed through the day but also your mind. Easy breathing and small movements you can do without distracting anyone on post or track.
Old 7 Feb 2009, 09:52 (Ref:2390277)   #31
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But don't you think slipping into an orange leotard in the middle of a race might just distract someone?
Old 7 Feb 2009, 20:16 (Ref:2390570)   #32
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Rugby
But don't you think slipping into an orange leotard in the middle of a race might just distract someone?
It bloody would if you did it Col!! he he.

Sorry back on topic.
Old 9 Feb 2009, 13:17 (Ref:2391685)   #33
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not falling for the idea that racing snake = good. The ability to run from here to Cornwall might clever but if you can't pull the skin off a rice pudding when you get there you ain't much good to man or beast. Gimme two good ex-props to push a car than a laytex of poncie wingers any time.
Old 9 Feb 2009, 16:22 (Ref:2391784)   #34
Saucy
Rookie

England
Ynws Mon/Anglesey
Saucy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My advice if I can be as bold to give any would be to be always open to learn and to seek many types of learning from others around you and then formulate your own opinions. I have been fortunate to have worked alongside many folk who have shared and passed on their knowledge to help me keep safe and still have fun whilst dressed like a orange convict. Take the rough with the smooth and enjoy it is also a priority because from getting out the car in the morning until the drive home I am happy to be of help and assistance to any one who needs it. Anything else within that period doesn't matter.
Now that I am a buddy I hope to be able to pass on info and help