Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 20 May 2019, 15:27 (Ref:3904900)   #1
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barrie Hinchliffe Productions (BHP)

I know in the 1980s, Barrie Hinchliffe Productions (known as BHP or BHP Sport) have provided a lot of motorsport footage on television and video tapes especially for the BBC. They was based in London.

They had a website: www.bhp-sport.com but it doesn't work.

Now as I know the compnay has gone bust, but who got or owns the footage now?

I found a post from the Pistonheads forum:

Steve Rider was a director of BHP Sport ( Barrie Hinchcliffe Productions) he was removed from that post in the early 1990's as other production companies complained that BHP were winning all the contracts for Grandstand and there was a conflict of interest as Rider was also a presenter for the BBC.

I have been reading stories that Dukevideo got all of the footage, is it true? Or was there an auction and the old directors brought back the footage?
Old 20 May 2019, 16:23 (Ref:3904908)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I've recognised quite a bit of original BHP stuff in Duke video's so presume they bought the lot (which would be logical).maybe included in that is the stuff you're looking for (but it hasn't been used as they didn't know where to place it?)
Old 20 May 2019, 17:57 (Ref:3904929)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
AS far as I can tell BHP or just Barrie initially only really did rallies in the 70's and 80's, but not just for the BBC, World of Sport etc aswell, as they seemded to cover UK rallies more.

I would guess they were heavily involved in the Unipart and Welsh rallysprint events. The Mobil 1 challenge no doubt. Did they do the Chris Scerle thing?

How involved they were with the Rally report RAC rally Top Gear stuff I have no idea.

I also do not know if they were always involved in the 90's British series vids and programs.

No idea if they did the rallycross GP footage that was on Grandstand from 82 to 94 ish?

Obviously BHP were massively involved in BTCC in 1990 and the start of 2 litre, all events, testing etc.

I would imagine Duke purchased the portfolio. They purchase pretty much everything else.
Old 20 May 2019, 18:26 (Ref:3904938)   #4
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As others said, I think most of it is Duke stuff stuff now. Certainly any of the older rallying videos I've got from them are BHP stuff.
Old 24 May 2019, 07:00 (Ref:3905457)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I've always tried to find out who's got the footage rights for the BTCC pre 1987?
BHP had most of the contracts for stuff from 87 onwards and like some of you say Duke maydo now as they released every season review back to '87.
However either Hay Fisher or SportsSeen (Kreisky?) filmed the action in the early to mid 80's. I found an old '81 review dvd on ebay (someone had transferred from a vhs) but this was a Gordon Spice promo film.
Surely it would be good to get the footage released for sale on dvd or streaming.
Old 24 May 2019, 07:51 (Ref:3905464)   #6
A.C.Clegg
Rookie

A.C.Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember buying GRP C video's and ETCC directly from Sportseen in the 80's. Don't know where I would go now, I'm always trawling YouTube for 60'S and 70's racing.
Old 25 May 2019, 08:06 (Ref:3905634)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C.Clegg View Post
I remember buying GRP C video's and ETCC directly from Sportseen in the 80's. Don't know where I would go now, I'm always trawling YouTube for 60'S and 70's racing.
Yes my dad did too, ocassionally real rare stuff turns up that people have copied from their own collections.
Old 25 May 2019, 10:27 (Ref:3905662)   #8
the youth
Racer

the youth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wasn't one of the names mentioned BHP, Hay, Fisher, Kreisky killed in a plane or helicopter crash about 10 to 15 years ago ?
I seem to remember it

Steve
Old 25 May 2019, 13:14 (Ref:3905683)   #9
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I know he did a lot of 80s VHS for Videovision, the Daddy of Duke Videos. As well as commentary, he also had been a cameraman, filming a lot of the racing
Old 25 May 2019, 15:53 (Ref:3905700)   #10
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the youth View Post
wasn't one of the names mentioned BHP, Hay, Fisher, Kreisky killed in a plane or helicopter crash about 10 to 15 years ago ?
I seem to remember it

Steve
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...take-days.html
Old 17 Jul 2019, 21:22 (Ref:3918236)   #11
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quite a few BHP videos have been re-released by smokeandrubber.com. I don't know if they purchased some of the back catalogue.
Old 19 Jul 2019, 10:53 (Ref:3918457)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

We are sadly lacking releases/re-releases of the BSCC from the last 70's and early 80's.

I would have thought the Goodwood members meeting wow factor would have warranted DVD or stream releases due to the increased interest in cars from the time.