Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Nov 2021, 17:41 (Ref:4085768)   #2501
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was a significant part of his life. and not even snide! The worst you can say is that it isn’t detailed enough to give the full picture, but I can see why you wouldn’t want to waste much space in that article. Some people might get all worked up about it if they did.

“He built the team named after him into one of the most successful in the sport.” the first line from the article.

Here’s the rest of the article with lots and lots of nice things about him.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/59453378

I believe this is an example where broadcasters just can’t win. Some people aren’t ever going to like what sky does some aren’t with the bbc.
Old 28 Nov 2021, 17:56 (Ref:4085772)   #2502
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Expected but unexpected.

RIP to a titan of the sport.
Old 28 Nov 2021, 18:01 (Ref:4085775)   #2503
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It was a significant part of his life. and not even snide! The worst you can say is that it isn’t detailed enough to give the full picture, but I can see why you wouldn’t want to waste much space in that article. Some people might get all worked up about it if they did.

“He built the team named after him into one of the most successful in the sport.” the first line from the article.

Here’s the rest of the article with lots and lots of nice things about him.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/59453378

I believe this is an example where broadcasters just can’t win. Some people aren’t ever going to like what sky does some aren’t with the bbc.
My point exactly. On such a dark day was it really necessary to dredge up the Senna episode - particularly when nothing came of it? Time and a place , time and a place.
Old 28 Nov 2021, 18:13 (Ref:4085779)   #2504
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
My point exactly. On such a dark day was it really necessary to dredge up the Senna episode - particularly when nothing came of it? Time and a place , time and a place.
It is a news article, and so IMO perfectly relevant to mention it (it's not like it's the only thing they mention from his life).

To be honest - taking the chance to have a dig at the BBC seems unnecessary at this time off the back of the situation.
Old 28 Nov 2021, 20:04 (Ref:4085792)   #2505
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

To be honest - taking the chance to have a dig at the BBC seems unnecessary at this time off the back of the situation.
I agree. There’s a time and place after all.
Old 28 Nov 2021, 21:01 (Ref:4085797)   #2506
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I
Exactly my point.
Old 30 Nov 2021, 14:39 (Ref:4086006)   #2507
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I think the broadcasters just take too long on each race. It has followed on from other sports like soccer where you have an hour of pundits before the event saying what is going to happen and then a hour after saying who did what wrong. These days with so many races it's overkill and I have better things to do. Generally unless it's a wet winter's day I switch on just before the start (slightly difficult with C4) and then off after the chequered flag.
In the days of big screen TV and all the graphics, do we need a full commentary to tell us what we can actually see? All the commentators are actually doing a radio commentary which is not really needed. We don't need them to be talking all the time.
Old 30 Nov 2021, 15:22 (Ref:4086015)   #2508
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I agree with that. Let the race breathe. Add value. We can see what is going on.

But maybe they’ve done research on this and actually that silence annoys some people? It’s not just a Motorsport issue.
Old 30 Nov 2021, 15:40 (Ref:4086017)   #2509
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i am often doing other things while watching a race or game, so need some level of commentary. wouldn't want to see them go completely away from it.

but then i like the SKY F1 coverage including all the pre and post stuff. i like being able to have it on in the background.

speaking of technology changing how we consume content, now that i can access my TV recordings on my phone i can listen to the post race/interviews much like i would with any podcast.

so basically back to radio on the internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
But maybe they’ve done research on this and actually that silence annoys some people? It’s not just a Motorsport issue.
my subscription comes with the other feeds with natural sound playing. i thought they were going to change my life but i rarely if ever use them.

short bursts maybe, but more then a couple of minutes and me getting 'annoyed' by it totally feels like the right way to describe it!
Old 30 Nov 2021, 17:30 (Ref:4086027)   #2510
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
I don't think that I've stuck to all the pre-race waffle once yet. Generally aim to tune in (on a Sunday night or Monday morning here in Oz) just before the start of the race and sometimes keep watching for post-race reaction, interviews.

Sure that there are people who are the complete opposite of me and who want all the pre-race stuff.

Having it there doesn't hurt me so to me it is fine to have it and we can choose whether or not we watch it.

Despite my dislike of Croft's shrieking commentary, I'd still rather have commentary there I think, although the graphics DO provide much of what I'm looking for during a race. Maybe the "go" is to have selectable audio channels - so that I can listen to the cars, Mr Brundle etc but choose to turn off Croft - that would actually be a pretty good way to watch!
Old 30 Nov 2021, 17:44 (Ref:4086032)   #2511
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not sure an excessive quantity of pre- / post- race coverage can be levelled as a criticism. You don't have to watch it.

Now if the quality of that coverage was in question, it's a different matter.
Old 30 Nov 2021, 21:07 (Ref:4086062)   #2512
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OK so here is a question....

Given Sky's typical "on track" output over a weekend (so ignoring their live 1 hour Thursday F1 show)

The coverage of FP1 starts either 15 or 30 minutes before pit opens, depending on which country they are in and what part of the season,

For FP2 it's typically 15 minutes before Sometimes 30 minutes if the FP1 intro was only 15 that day.

FP3 is 15 mintues before pit opens

Qualification is 1 hour before pit lane opens for Q1

The race coverage (sometimes split into mini named programmes) is 90 minutes before lights out

How much of the Sky coverage do you get where you are?

I ask because at times Lazenby seems to "reset" more than just for Sky's mini programmes, as new viewers join the pre coverage of the Qually and Race ?
Old 1 Dec 2021, 13:32 (Ref:4086137)   #2513
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm not sure an excessive quantity of pre- / post- race coverage can be levelled as a criticism. You don't have to watch it.

Now if the quality of that coverage was in question, it's a different matter.
Agreed. You don't need to watch it. There's a full channel. We should be thankful it isn't still being shunted around to make way for Coronation Street. That time needs filled. Watch as much or as little as you want.
Old 1 Dec 2021, 16:05 (Ref:4086163)   #2514
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Agreed. You don't need to watch it. There's a full channel. We should be thankful it isn't still being shunted around to make way for Coronation Street. That time needs filled. Watch as much or as little as you want.
That is me. I am usually just trying to time is just right so I turn on the TV just as they pull away for the recon lap!

Richard
Old 1 Dec 2021, 16:36 (Ref:4086168)   #2515
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
How much of the Sky coverage do you get where you are?
so my sport provider (which is subscription based - about $5 extra a month in addition to my regular cable package and includes 5 channels plus their online streams and on demand programs) carries everything other then one of the Friday practice sessions (which may still be available on demand/online).

benefit of F1 in N.America is that its mainly on early morning so i think my provider likes that there is live content to fill up early mornings with.

agree with Akrapovic and Richard as well...for me i enjoy that the option for more F1 content exists.

the one on one driver interviews SKY does are so much better then what the organized FIA press conferences in front of the world and local media were like.

local media is the worst and the drivers hated it and it showed and it was fairly common thing for drivers to walk out back then...as JPM did in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFUJjm0yXNc
Old 2 Dec 2021, 02:04 (Ref:4086221)   #2516
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Croft is a little too 'aging radio DJ' for my liking but other than that minor quibble Sky do a good job.

I don't like sports punditry full stop - so I cut all that out. However they sometimes do have programs of interest and bits n' bobs that are of a very good standard. Sky F1 do a good job all in all.
Old 2 Dec 2021, 10:23 (Ref:4086234)   #2517
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree about Sky F1, the short programmes are very good, just watched Danica Patrick driving the USGP course.

It's Crofty and to a lesser extend Ted Kravitz that I don't like.

Then again I was probably the only person on the planet who didn't like Fuddly Talkers style of commentary.
Old 4 Dec 2021, 19:33 (Ref:4086610)   #2518
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Then again I was probably the only person on the planet who didn't like Fuddly Talkers style of commentary.
Yeah that was literally just you .
Old 5 Dec 2021, 22:25 (Ref:4087026)   #2519
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Croft at his shouty worst today.
Him and Jacques should be doing hospital radio or bingo calling. Absolutely dreadful.
Old 6 Dec 2021, 11:26 (Ref:4087189)   #2520
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sports commentary is now entirely lead by deaf focus group. I am convinced of this.
Old 6 Dec 2021, 11:27 (Ref:4087190)   #2521
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Croft at his shouty worst today.
Him and Jacques should be doing hospital radio or bingo calling. Absolutely dreadful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Sports commentary is now entirely lead by deaf focus group. I am convinced of this.
You can say that again!
Old 6 Dec 2021, 11:42 (Ref:4087195)   #2522
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Paul di Resta pointed out something very important regarding how the TV is edited.

After the race, they showed the onboard from Max/Lewis incident before the final corner. According to the video (which was supplied by FOM), Max was radioed only 3-4 seconds before he braked, as he entered the straight. This gives the impression that Max immediately reacted to the radio call.

Paul di Resta pointed out that is absolutely not what happened live. Max was told midway round the lap, as he was listening to the live radio at the time.

The video provided by FOM is edited and makes the incident look more spontaneous than it is. Now, I'm not suggesting foul play with that, but it is important in realising that what we see has been massaged by directors before it gets to us.
Old 6 Dec 2021, 12:08 (Ref:4087209)   #2523
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's very interesting. I don't blame Max for picking his spot, so to speak, but I do wonder why Lewis didn't get the message in a more time fashion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Paul di Resta pointed out something very important regarding how the TV is edited.

After the race, they showed the onboard from Max/Lewis incident before the final corner. According to the video (which was supplied by FOM), Max was radioed only 3-4 seconds before he braked, as he entered the straight. This gives the impression that Max immediately reacted to the radio call.

Paul di Resta pointed out that is absolutely not what happened live. Max was told midway round the lap, as he was listening to the live radio at the time.

The video provided by FOM is edited and makes the incident look more spontaneous than it is. Now, I'm not suggesting foul play with that, but it is important in realising that what we see has been massaged by directors before it gets to us.
Old 6 Dec 2021, 13:25 (Ref:4087238)   #2524
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
How do people feel about the coverage vis a vis the fair amount of sportswashing that was going to go on this weekend?

SKY I thought paid some attention to drawing attention to the drivers messages and himan rights issues. Reema Juffali featuring a few times was a bit to planned but still thoughtful imo.

I would imagine that people in S.A. have a better connection to the global internet then people in China so i am assuming that they can get the SKY broadcast?

Didnt hear too much about the Merc sponsorship issue. Not knowledgable about the issue tbh but was the logo in question removed for the race?

Or maybe no really cares that much as the on track events clearly over shadowed all other concerns. Admittedly they did for me.
Old 6 Dec 2021, 13:33 (Ref:4087241)   #2525
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Didnt hear too much about the Merc sponsorship issue. Not knowledgable about the issue tbh but was the logo in question removed for the race?
No - it stayed on the car (side of the nose, level with front wing plates):

Tags
pinks