Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 8 Mar 2012, 12:45 (Ref:3036973)   #1
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Guess what I've just seen

Living in N.Ireland you don't see many unusual cars every day - total population is only 1.6 mill..

I drove for 10 mins today towards Belfast and saw a Lancia Thema 3.2 ( how many of those in this small country?), and ....wait for it.....an Aston Martin Cygnet. It MUST have been the local demonstrator, can you believe that anyone's actually BOUGHT one?

Who's seen one outside a showroom?
Old 8 Mar 2012, 13:21 (Ref:3036987)   #2
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've only ever seen one Cygnet on the road and I live in Wilmslow, which you might think would be the spiritual heart of such a cynical badge engineering exercise.

Was the Thema a 3.2 or the (much rarer) 8.32? The latter was my favourite ever example of Italian engineering insanity - a Ferrari V8 engine in a fwd taxi...

I think the last time I saw a Thema was about 1988, apart from the remains Clarkson poured out of a bucket on top Gear once.
Old 8 Mar 2012, 13:34 (Ref:3036996)   #3
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be the 8:32 which is a pretty rare car.

At a rough guess I'd say 30 in the UK, 10-15 taxed and mot'd
Old 8 Mar 2012, 14:48 (Ref:3037043)   #4
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Yes' that was a mental black-out. I meant 8.32. The rear spoiler was up- I'm not sure if that was a permanent arrangement or whether it should have come up at high speed.(Italian electrics)
Old 8 Mar 2012, 15:30 (Ref:3037064)   #5
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There as a control on the indicator stalk so you could set it up or down.
Old 8 Mar 2012, 16:54 (Ref:3037111)   #6
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that I can beat that - I saw one a couple of weeks ago in Andorra. Population 78,000.
Old 8 Mar 2012, 19:43 (Ref:3037192)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There aren't many of them. The DVLA reckon there are 9 licensed and 17 sorned.
http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=thema
Old 9 Mar 2012, 09:45 (Ref:3037431)   #8
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spotted an English-registered Thema here in France only the other day! Passed it going in the other direction so didn't spot which version. G-reg I think.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 12:04 (Ref:3037476)   #9
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
When you consider how much car insurance costs in Ulster (think "The Troubles"), either the owner is visiting from the mainland or must be a REAL enthusiast. (Mind you, there's always limited-mileage cover - didn't think that one through).

Perhaps it's the same car,John, like the Scarlet Pimpernel - They seek him here etc.

I assume the car seen in Andorra was a Thema, and not a Cygnet.I really don't understand Aston on that one - surely they didn't have to comply with any US guff about a proportion of their output being "green", since they are low-volume makers, even allowing for the increase in output following the success of the DB7,DB9,V8 etc.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 12:23 (Ref:3037484)   #10
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE

I assume the car seen in Andorra was a Thema, and not a Cygnet.I really don't understand Aston on that one - surely they didn't have to comply with any US guff about a proportion of their output being "green", since they are low-volume makers, even allowing for the increase in output following the success of the DB7,DB9,V8 etc.[/QUOTE]

Think it's got more to do with EU diktats - something to do with average CO2 output across the range.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 12:44 (Ref:3037492)   #11
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Ah ,yes.

Makes you wonder why they took that weird course though.Naturally they would'nt want to waste money on developing their own car, but tarting up a (I've heard) decent car into a Turkish Brothel and charging mega-bucks does seem awfully strange.

Maybe there'll be an XJ220 scenario - loads sitting around unsold and then being heavily discounted to shift them.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3037531)   #12
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I've only ever seen one Cygnet on the road and I live in Wilmslow, which you might think would be the spiritual heart of such a cynical badge engineering exercise.
The only Cygnet I've ever seen was parked outside the Aston dealer....in Wilmslow
Old 9 Mar 2012, 16:02 (Ref:3037556)   #13
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
I assume the car seen in Andorra was a Thema, and not a Cygnet.I really don't understand Aston on that one - surely they didn't have to comply with any US guff about a proportion of their output being "green", since they are low-volume makers, even allowing for the increase in output following the success of the DB7,DB9,V8 etc.
To sell their cars here, yes, yes they do.

I think the Cygnet will come with some models... meaning, if you want a DBS you have to get a Cygnet. I guess you can give it away.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 13:38 (Ref:3041510)   #14
Gti6
Rookie

Gti6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I work in central London and there are a few cygnets around
Old 15 Mar 2012, 22:53 (Ref:3041866)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Makes sense. That is where it is designed to be.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 14:36 (Ref:3047492)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti6 View Post
I work in central London and there are a few cygnets around
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Makes sense. That is where it is designed to be.
For swanning around London?
Old 24 Mar 2012, 19:07 (Ref:3047593)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Yeah. Small car, big city. A lot of smarts are sold there too.

I saw a Morgan three wheeler today. Although that was in a Morgan garage I passed. I stopped to have a look. It does look fun.

The guy was gobbed smacked, he was talking to a customer about E-Types and I turned up in one.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 19:16 (Ref:3047599)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Have to say I like that three wheeler.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 19:27 (Ref:3047605)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It has traditional Morgan lead times. If you order one now you could probably get it for February next year. This dealer reckons he could sell twice as many as he can get hold of.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 14:26 (Ref:3050053)   #20
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know another dealer that has a demonstrator for sale.

They look absolutely superb in the flesh.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 10:57 (Ref:3051662)   #21
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Not very interesting, but I saw the Cygnet again (or a different one, heaven help us!) last night in Newtownards. Looked like an off-white colour, maybe pearlescent.

Someone has suggested that you got one free if you bought a DB9, but I still don't get it. An IQ is way cheaper, and in every way the same car.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 12:12 (Ref:3051708)   #22
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Not very interesting, but I saw the Cygnet again (or a different one, heaven help us!) last night in Newtownards. Looked like an off-white colour, maybe pearlescent.

Someone has suggested that you got one free if you bought a DB9, but I still don't get it. An IQ is way cheaper, and in every way the same car.
Off-white? That'll be a Cygnet. Goes pearlescent white when it turns into a Swan!
Old 1 Apr 2012, 13:47 (Ref:3051730)   #23
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
maybe Danny Kaye had it spot on.

We'll all see it in a different light in the next few weeks.