Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 3 Apr 2012, 12:22 (Ref:3052846)   #101
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Suppose the next question has to be "Is it for sale"?
Nah, my next question was "has it got a cage"

And the answer to both was a resounding "No"
Old 3 Apr 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3052960)   #102
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a special term for those sort of people!
Old 3 Apr 2012, 18:18 (Ref:3053040)   #103
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Mini Metro eh? Now there was one version of that which could be described as "properly hot"......

Oh, and before anyone says it's been attacked by teenagers wielding body kits and fibreglass.... it hasn't. That's what they looked like from the factory!

Attached Thumbnails
Metro 6R4.jpg  
Old 3 Apr 2012, 18:34 (Ref:3053054)   #104
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah the 6R4............. hell yes!!!

Rocking horse ****

"The 6R4 appeared in two guises. There was a so-called Clubman model which was the road going version which developed in the region of 250 bhp (186 kW), of which around 200 were made and sold to the public for £40,000 (the homologation version). A further 20 were taken and built to International specifications which had a recorded output of over 410 bhp (306 kW; 416 PS)"
Old 3 Apr 2012, 18:38 (Ref:3053058)   #105
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With a specially developed Williams GP Engineering V6. But of course this was the BL answer to the Lancia and the Peugeot 205T Group B cars.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 20:58 (Ref:3053139)   #106
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
And they had a really sneaky tyre wear reduction system.....

Attached Thumbnails
Metro 6R4 R.jpg  
Old 4 Apr 2012, 03:43 (Ref:3053254)   #107
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Technically a corvette coupe has a hatch and is pretty hot... Just sayin'
Old 13 Apr 2012, 09:29 (Ref:3058256)   #108
Mike Wroe
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Lincs
Mike Wroe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about a MINI Cooper S Works, mine always puts a smile on my face but as its not the GP model its not too in your face, just looks like any other MINI yet still has enough performance to embarass several so called supercars. Even my step daughter in her first ever track day caught and passed a 911 around Cadwell in it and my wife loves it for shopping in. Its a true Jeckel & Hyde car, below 3000 rpm sane, sensible & economical but open it up and it flies.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 00:59 (Ref:3058691)   #109
Raspberry
Rookie

United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Raspberry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB IS THE STIG View Post
Ah the 6R4............. hell yes!!!

Rocking horse ****

"The 6R4 appeared in two guises. There was a so-called Clubman model which was the road going version which developed in the region of 250 bhp (186 kW), of which around 200 were made and sold to the public for £40,000 (the homologation version). A further 20 were taken and built to International specifications which had a recorded output of over 410 bhp (306 kW; 416 PS)"
I used to work just down the road from where they built 'em...we could hear them firing up the engines inside our office (Istel Lazerlink, Oxford). (I don't mean they fired 'em up inside our office...)

One evening when I was setting off home, I'd just pulled on to the Dual Carriageway when I heard one coming down the road I'd just left. Soon I saw it pull out behind me - I'd been giving my Pug 1.6 GTi it's customary diet of beans, so I was maybe 100 metres away - he closed that gap in what seemed like 3 seconds or so and was right up my pipe...the noise of the thing was frighteningly frightening.

When I got out of his way, pronto-like, as is/was my wont, into a right-hand-side slip-road (Left-hand lane was chocka) he flashed through (dressed in racing overalls & an open-face lid) and gave me a huge grin and thumbs-up, while I rejoined behind him.

OK, it's a fairly crap anecdote, but it's all I got.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 02:47 (Ref:3058715)   #110
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
We may be trying to limit the definition to front whelel drive cars
Talbot Sunbeam Lotus? Trouble I'm not sure you'd need to take your shoes off to count the number of Talbot Sunbeams (inc non-Lotus) in this country.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 18:33 (Ref:3059756)   #111
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
I was up against one in the race I did at Spa last September...... and got lapped.... maybe more than once.

I'd quite like one!
Old 15 Apr 2012, 18:59 (Ref:3059775)   #112
Mark-e21
Rookie

Mark-e21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought these were a great hatchback. Added bonus being drive to the correct wheels.

Old 15 Apr 2012, 19:14 (Ref:3059788)   #113
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!

me gusta. not 100% sure about the colour, but bonus points for obscurity!

(is it an actual proper hatchback?)
Old 15 Apr 2012, 22:52 (Ref:3059917)   #114
Mark-e21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

me gusta. not 100% sure about the colour, but bonus points for obscurity!

(is it an actual proper hatchback?)
It is indeed and even had split flat-folding rear seats.

Excuse the colour choice but I have a thing for orange BMW's of the era although mine isn't a hatchback.

Old 16 Apr 2012, 07:54 (Ref:3060039)   #115
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Colour chice for the beemer is just fine..... but check out those rims in the background!!
Old 16 Apr 2012, 09:04 (Ref:3060074)   #116
Mark-e21
Rookie

I was kinda hoping no-one would notice those.

Getting back to the 2000tii touring, I always figured they were one of the very first real 'hot hatches'. Certainly pre-dates the Golf Gti by a few years anyway.
Old 21 Apr 2012, 14:35 (Ref:3063167)   #117
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
I was up against one in the race I did at Spa last September...... and got lapped.... maybe more than once.

I'd quite like one!
It wasn't Joss Ronchetti's (sp?) car was it, that is incredibly fast
Old 21 Apr 2012, 14:37 (Ref:3063168)   #118
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
.......and also has little in common with an original Talbot.
Old 21 Apr 2012, 16:04 (Ref:3063202)   #119
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Erm, yes, yes it was.... and I agree!
Old 24 Apr 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3065110)   #120
alfa_155
Rookie

alfa_155 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant believe that no one has mentioned the MITO or Giulietta Cloverleaf's (or should that be Cloverleaves)
Old 24 Apr 2012, 21:41 (Ref:3065169)   #121
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-e21 View Post
I always thought these were a great hatchback. Added bonus being drive to the correct wheels.

They made a 2002 hatchback? I want one!
Old 24 Apr 2012, 22:17 (Ref:3065184)   #122
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
no Gordon, the KV6 does not suffer from the same problem of its lesser 4 cyl cousin.
I also drive a ZS , the 4 cylinder 1.8 cousin of the KV6 , not the quickest car out there but my god does it handle i have left more powerful and expensive cars with red faces !! As for the head gasket thing , every car has an achilles heel , mine is well looked after and i have had no problems (yet) If and when it does go i shall just strip her down and fit the uprated parts, easy job to do and not that expensive.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 23:38 (Ref:3065213)   #123
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
They made a 2002 hatchback? I want one!
Yeah, you didn't know that?

They are harder to find, but do come up for sale here in the USA.

Here are a few that have come up for sale in the USA on BaT:

http://bringatrailer.com/2008/01/29/...ing-hatchback/

http://bringatrailer.com/2009/01/21/...-2002-touring/

http://bringatrailer.com/2007/09/04/...0tii-tourings/
Old 27 Apr 2012, 19:03 (Ref:3066296)   #124
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the links. I've never seen one but have considered buying a 2002 for some time. I need something to tinker around with as my current toy is modern and not as fun to wrench on. It seems these 2000 hatches command a little more money than a sedan, but not too bad.

I am going to try not to buy a Triumph this weekend even though I will be around hundreds of them... I really shouldn't but I'd really like to have a TR4.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 21:20 (Ref:3066341)   #125
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Thanks for the links. I've never seen one but have considered buying a 2002 for some time. I need something to tinker around with as my current toy is modern and not as fun to wrench on. It seems these 2000 hatches command a little more money than a sedan, but not too bad.

I am going to try not to buy a Triumph this weekend even though I will be around hundreds of them... I really shouldn't but I'd really like to have a TR4.
Back in high school and in my university years, I was always dreaming about 2002's and e21 3 series coupes and wanted to own one. At that time they were not that old and there were plenty about, cheap. Now the numbers are depleted significantly and the good ones command a strong premium with the 2002's in some cases getting up to $35000. Also they seem to have a lot of rust problems and quite a few of them need total restoration.

There is a red 1973 Tii up on ebay right now with bids around $10000 that needs a bit of TLC. In that ad, the seller mentions about 8000 tii's were built and only around 1000 remain.