Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Jan 2008, 18:38 (Ref:2098166)   #1
morrisnutter
Rookie

morrisnutter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'50s Sports car

I currently compete in the VSCC in all of their various car fun-and-games, but I'm thinking of going a bit further afield also. I quite like the idea of '50s sports car racing- something like (ideally) an Allard, against other cars like XK Jags etc etc. Can anyone please tell me:

1) Who orgainses these (presuming they exist)
2) Would I need any FIA papers etc?
3) Are the races all in England (I quite fancy European racing too). Licences aren't a problem.

Cheers,

Paul
Old 2 Jan 2008, 20:41 (Ref:2098235)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You've got quite a choice,Masters and BRDC Drum braked.You will need HTP Papers for both. I think you will find that they are both racing in Europe as well as over here,go for it and enjoy.
Old 3 Jan 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2098401)   #3
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Marcais' GT & Sports Car Cup series will be alive and well, as well as the Masters' Gentleman Drivers' races. Both are of the two-driver endurance format. Masters' 2008 programme has been published.

For sprint races, the BRDC 50s series will be running again this year (but no programme yet) and is open to disc-braked cars despite the previous post, and the HGPCA drum-braked series is usually also open to separately-classed disc-braked class - their programme has also been published. And the VSCC will usually run a couple of 50s sports car races during the year.
Old 3 Jan 2008, 08:37 (Ref:2098413)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
can anyone explain to me why the BRDC series which should be a fantastic series is struggling to survive? I would have thought with the RAC Woodcote series and the other series for these cars it should be well supported. The beginning of the end for me was when they allowed hotrod XK120's in as an invitation class...
Old 3 Jan 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2098449)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
can anyone explain to me why the BRDC series which should be a fantastic series is struggling to survive? I would have thought with the RAC Woodcote series and the other series for these cars it should be well supported. The beginning of the end for me was when they allowed hotrod XK120's in as an invitation class...
Something to do with the title?. Perhaps would be driver's think it's closed shop.
Old 3 Jan 2008, 09:50 (Ref:2098453)   #6
morrisnutter
Rookie

morrisnutter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good stuff, thanks. How would I go about getting an HTP if the car doesn't already have one? The FIA site is, quite frankly, pants. Is it just a case of proving the car is original spec (and prefferably matching numbers)?

I just need to find a nice car now....

Cheers,

Paul
Old 3 Jan 2008, 10:03 (Ref:2098462)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont think the title is misleading - I am not a member and nor is Peter Horsman and we both have competed in the series (and Peter with some success!) - Terry given your MGB sports a BRDC badge I presume you are a member so give Mr Beckett a kick because it would be very sad to see the series die
Old 3 Jan 2008, 10:05 (Ref:2098464)   #8
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not believe that it's in Mr Beckett's hands at all.
Old 3 Jan 2008, 10:19 (Ref:2098475)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisnutter
Good stuff, thanks. How would I go about getting an HTP if the car doesn't already have one? The FIA site is, quite frankly, pants. Is it just a case of proving the car is original spec (and prefferably matching numbers)?

I just need to find a nice car now....

Cheers,

Paul
First decide on the car you want,wether you want one thats already a racer or if you want to start from scratch.Most cars,XKs etc are eligible for papers,all you need is proof of International Competition.Get in touch with Marcus Pye/Peter Dixon at the MSA,they will let you know when either could do an inspection on the car.
Old 3 Jan 2008, 10:35 (Ref:2098483)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

If its an XK make sure its got the correct engine and brakes if you want it to get papers - al the front running XK's are a long way from FIA......
Old 3 Jan 2008, 11:07 (Ref:2098506)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
just get a D type and have done with it!
Old 3 Jan 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2098533)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
just get a D type and have done with it!

What a legal one?====Hens Teeth.