Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Jan 2011, 05:47 (Ref:2811326)   #26
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
I never understood how you could put a non-FIA seat made currently into a car and call it period specification? Doesn't period specification imply the seat that was specified in period i.e. the original fitment seat? If not then what the heck defines period specification - steel frame with webbing and a vinyl or leather covering????

Confused!
I think everyone is confused, including some scrutineers , but considering some pre '66 cars are brand new as well.......

The clause in regs states 'original front seats' or 'seats of period specification'. This has been interpreted most of the time as meaning an aftermarket steel framed 'bucket', probably base mounted, as was the style in period. Unfortunately on odd occasions- usually mainland Europe- scrutineer(s) have taken a different interpretation. Not being there when that has happened am not able to work out why.

Trouble with modern seats as already stated is sometimes they just don't fit into an old narrow GT.....
Old 5 Jan 2011, 07:51 (Ref:2811353)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are a number of seats that reflect the 60/70s style. Take a look here. Non of them appear to be FIA approved although I haven't looked at all of them.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motors...ies/Seats/1761

I think the Corbeau Hi Back GT seat first appeared in 1970 (ish) so a pre 66 App K car would, I believe, have to have one of the lower back seats rather than a high back like the RS9. Therefore the period seat still doesn't make sense. FWIW I'd prefer a high back seat anythime.
Old 5 Jan 2011, 08:39 (Ref:2811361)   #28
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are apparently not allowed to use Carbon Fibre in Historic's,yet never heard of anyone being slung out for using a modern CF seat,yet!
Old 5 Jan 2011, 09:36 (Ref:2811382)   #29
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The 'great seat debate' seems to have taken over Delta's natter for the present- worthy of own thread?

My 1959 Plus 4 has a Kirkey alloy seat fitted (by previous owner). To me, it looks awful but the available space won't take any other high back. It is the narrowest model they do as well! If you are not careful fitting it back in the tunnel cover gets pushed across and rubs on the prop.

So it isn't period looking and isn't FIA labelled, but as car is period E doesn't concern scruts- except from safety point of view, obviously.
Old 5 Jan 2011, 15:40 (Ref:2811517)   #30
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
not for the first time I'm making a seat . . . . matches the original but stronger, safer, more supportive, and fits in the car in question, it will then be covered properly, in matching vinyl to mirro the original passenger seat

should have done the same, in retrospect, to the Harrington, it was a ball ache and a half to get an 'fia' seat to fit in vagualy comfortable position and mount it securely, and it just doesn't look quite right in a car of that vintage
Old 5 Jan 2011, 17:41 (Ref:2811557)   #31
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
We are apparently not allowed to use Carbon Fibre in Historic's,yet never heard of anyone being slung out for using a modern CF seat,yet!
No Terry seats are specifically excluded form the CF rule.
I agree the seat thing is a nonsense, the problem is FIA safety rules only understand modern cars which are deformable structures, so they dictate that the seat must rigid on the basis the car deforms.Trouble is that old cars don't deform in a controlled fashion so a rigid seat can be more dangerous as the G force is all put into the seat occupant. However Peter Wright -FIA Safety chief/guru explained to me that there is no rig that they can devise which tests a deformable seat because they can't make a car rig.
So we get this nonsense in Belgium where they adopt Appendix K in toto and seats are an easy thing to spot.But you can run the original or a period specification seat-so have a 1965 copy of Motor sport with you to show the picture in the ad of the seat you have fitted.
Meanwhile be advised that there are new very intrusive regulations fro cages and fuel filler caps now ion place,Go to the FIA website and Historic Championship regulation to download the new Appendix K. Add to that the large increase in fees for HTP plus the fact that they run out after five years and the same car has to re new them and your costs for doing FIA events is on its way through the ceiling.
Ask not what the FIA Historic Motor Sport Commission does for you but what you have to do for them
Old 5 Jan 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2811562)   #32
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Jeremy,so now everyone should know the why's and wherefor's etc etc.
Old 5 Jan 2011, 18:24 (Ref:2811573)   #33
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Good post Jeremy

To add complexity scrutineers have to deal with cars built /prepared any time over the last 15 years and ideas, as well as regs change every year!
Old 5 Jan 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2811581)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sooo if I understand it correctly. You can stick anything in the car as long as it looks like a race seat. Except at Spa where it must be FIA approved.

Think I'll call Bob this weekend.
Old 6 Jan 2011, 06:59 (Ref:2811771)   #35
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks Jeremy for that input. I have just managed to download 77 pages of AppK 2010 to have a read through later

I guessed something was happening with fuel fillers after a couple of scrutineers took more than normal interest last year in my 'Monza' style caps, which do have internal locking caps as well. Hopefully they are correct when have had a chance to read through the regs!

As for seats, will be contacting Cobra to see when thay started manufacturing!
Old 6 Jan 2011, 07:09 (Ref:2811772)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Is there a link? The only one I can find won't load.

EDIT: Got it thanks

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 6 Jan 2011 at 07:26.
Old 6 Jan 2011, 08:10 (Ref:2811785)   #37
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
It wouldn't be the first time I've given up trying to navigate the FiA website!
Old 6 Jan 2011, 08:14 (Ref:2811789)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Only had a brief squint but it seems the fuel tank changes are the requirement for a non return flap in the filler neck for those with external fillers (like a Monza cap) and a recommendation for foam filling. And the cages look normal to me but then maybe it means people can't run single rear hoops anymore.
Old 6 Jan 2011, 11:58 (Ref:2811871)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I've opened a new stuck thread here:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126285
Old 6 Jan 2011, 13:41 (Ref:2811920)   #40
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think I'll call Bob this weekend.[/QUOTE]

Give Zef a call - he has one he's wrenched out of a 'B!!
Old 6 Jan 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2811996)   #41
bobr
Rookie

bobr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lovely Ridgard seats

A very good friend told me to read 10 tenths!! Any seat without FIA label or seat with label in date are allowed at SPA, I have confirmed with Scruts many times. The only refused seats are out of date. Poor old Zef does'nt know what he is missing. Any more clarification ring me.
Old 6 Jan 2011, 18:00 (Ref:2812008)   #42
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
don't get me wrong, the seat was very comfortable, in a sitting by the fire kind of way, I quite like a hard seat in a car though, you can feel whats going on better.
Old 6 Jan 2011, 18:07 (Ref:2812012)   #43
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seats

During my shed clearout I found an original Corbeau GT8, the one with vent holes in it. Seems in good nick but needs closer inspection really. Free to a good home if collected (Sussex...).
Maybe not of interest but I recently started the process of re-producing the orange Nomex covered Scheel race seats used by Ford, BMW, etc...back in the 1970`s, for various restoration projects.

alex
Old 6 Jan 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2812014)   #44
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I had those in my old TVR, leather with loads of hog rings . . . . great in 35 degrees heat at LeMans!!!
Old 6 Jan 2011, 19:20 (Ref:2812060)   #45
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
Maybe not of interest but I recently started the process of re-producing the orange Nomex covered Scheel race seats used by Ford, BMW, etc...back in the 1970`s, for various restoration projects.

alex
Alex, hope you don't have to get them FIA homologated! Post some pics somewhere when sorted.
Old 6 Jan 2011, 21:35 (Ref:2812134)   #46
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scheel seats

Hi Mike,
I won`t be bothering with that FIA stuff as I only need 4 or 5 of them for historical reasons, not for serious use. Will post a pic when done though.

Alex
Old 7 Jan 2011, 01:39 (Ref:2812209)   #47
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah - Corbeau GT8 for me too!

What a fantastic seat they were - I had them in everything years ago, loved 'em to bits. Held you snugly in place but were really comfy too, and did they look the part or what? The cloth with the eyelets always reminded me of the way GT40 seats were trimmed - bloody brilliant!

I've still got some somewhere, in pretty reasonable nick too - might just stick 'em in something one day. I remember just about all the top rally cars used them through the seventies.

An all time classic I reckon.
Old 7 Jan 2011, 05:50 (Ref:2812262)   #48
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hi Bob did you get my e mail?
Old 7 Jan 2011, 11:07 (Ref:2812392)   #49
lotustwincam
Rookie

United Kingdom
lotustwincam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Burning issue indeed

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Yeah - Corbeau GT8 for me too!

What a fantastic seat they were - I had them in everything years ago, loved 'em to bits. Held you snugly in place but were really comfy too, and did they look the part or what? The cloth with the eyelets always reminded me of the way GT40 seats were trimmed - bloody brilliant!

I've still got some somewhere, in pretty reasonable nick too - might just stick 'em in something one day. I remember just about all the top rally cars used them through the seventies.

An all time classic I reckon.
I agree, had them in my mini in the 70s, although I did have one break its frame going up the mountain at Cadwell. It trapped the (un fused ) wiring loom and set fire to it! I thought the smoke was the usual tyre smoke until I could no longer see or breathe. Happy Days

Last edited by lotustwincam; 7 Jan 2011 at 11:11. Reason: bit missing
Old 7 Jan 2011, 13:17 (Ref:2812478)   #50
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotustwincam View Post
:

I agree, had them in my mini in the 70s, although I did have one break its frame going up the mountain at Cadwell. It trapped the (un fused ) wiring loom and set fire to it! I thought the smoke was the usual tyre smoke until I could no longer see or breathe. Happy Days
Strewth, I'd hate to see a bad day!