Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 25 Apr 2013, 20:41 (Ref:3239413)   #26
Sidewayz
Rookie

Sidewayz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why compare JMac to Haydn? Clearly very different drivers, and the latter has had the least seat time out of all of them.
I agree with Promax, if they wanted to be faster then they would. They are what they are, cheaper to build and cheaper to run.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 21:17 (Ref:3239429)   #27
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
Mckenzie.
Apparently JMac reckoned with a bit more effort leading into he weekend he could have out qualified Hayden. He was 0.4 off in qually.
remembering that Hayden was only ever mid-pack when in a TL car, it dosn't surprise me that JMac was hot on his heels. how far off the rest of the pack of TLX was the McKenzie car ??
Old 25 Apr 2013, 21:21 (Ref:3239430)   #28
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewayz View Post
Why compare JMac to Haydn? Clearly very different drivers, and the latter has had the least seat time out of all of them.
I agree with Promax, if they wanted to be faster then they would. They are what they are, cheaper to build and cheaper to run.

Cheaper to run? Perhaps you could advise us all the cost of the Dunlop tyre's, and the PFC rotors and pad's, as surely these and fuel are the only comparable running cost's, given that labour, accommodation, travel and food are the same.

V8ST Hankook tyres cost the competitor $395, each plus gst.
At the circuit, the cost of Brembo rotors and pads is:
72 vane 380 mm diameter front rotors cost $580, each plus gst.
72 vane 355 mm diameter rear rotors cost $530, each plus gst.
Front pad cost $595 per set plus gst, rear pad cost $495, plus gst.

Pre ordered and paid for attracts a further 15% discount on the above prices.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3239434)   #29
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Cheaper to run? Perhaps you could advise us all the cost of the Dunlop tyre's, and the PFC rotors and pad's, as surely these and fuel are the only comparable running cost's, given that labour, accommodation, travel and food are the same.

V8ST Hankook tyres cost the competitor $395, each plus gst.
At the circuit, the cost of Brembo rotors and pads is:
72 vane 380 mm diameter front rotors cost $580, each plus gst.
72 vane 355 mm diameter rear rotors cost $530, each plus gst.
Front pad cost $595 per set plus gst, rear pad cost $495, plus gst.

Pre ordered and paid for attracts a further 15% discount on the above prices.
we were comparing a TLX with a TL.. not a ST
Old 25 Apr 2013, 21:56 (Ref:3239445)   #30
Sidewayz
Rookie

Sidewayz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for sales petch, Mark, but I've never been a Brembo Fan.

Joe, Hayden went from being about 3 secs off the front guys at the start of the weekend, down to 1.5 sec at the end.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 22:00 (Ref:3239447)   #31
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
we were comparing a TLX with a TL.. not a ST

My Gaff, my apologies, still it would be interesting to know what the TLX consumables cost's are anyway.

I agree that to race a TL car at the front was an expensive exercise, but to run them down a notch or two, as they are all being run now, they are comparatively inexpensive, particularly when you can buy a good TL car like my Ex Kayne Scott TL car, for under $50 K with a load of spares parts to boot. I also sold a very good spare engine that cost $45K new for $10K so the TL cars now represent very good value for money and are still fast cars.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 22:11 (Ref:3239450)   #32
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TL is the best value at the moment. Given the prices quoted by Petch for a front running car, plus rounds throughout the country, MSNZ NZ championship to boot.

Why wouldn't you, sure looks a great package to me.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 22:18 (Ref:3239451)   #33
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespur View Post
TL is the best value at the moment. Given the prices quoted by Petch for a front running car, plus rounds throughout the country, MSNZ NZ championship to boot.

Why wouldn't you, sure looks a great package to me.
You forgot to mention the top of the North Island only, 5 round NZV8 Challenge Cup Series, that runs as a support act to V8ST, and a lot cheaper to run because there is only 2 non Auckland round's and no trips across the ditch, so TL cars make a great deal of sense these day's.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 22:22 (Ref:3239454)   #34
bluespur
Racer

no I did not - if looking for a NZ wide sponsor that series sure would not suit

and anywhat I would like to compete at all circuits possible - one trip across the water is no big deal

Last edited by bluespur; 25 Apr 2013 at 22:23. Reason: additional point
Old 25 Apr 2013, 22:58 (Ref:3239466)   #35
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewayz View Post
Joe, Hayden went from being about 3 secs off the front guys at the start of the weekend, down to 1.5 sec at the end.
decent effort, where the fast guys making gains as well?? if they were going quicker, then Hayden must have dialled in even more speed.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 23:42 (Ref:3239472)   #36
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
decent effort, where the fast guys making gains as well?? if they were going quicker, then Hayden must have dialled in even more speed.

Looking at the results on the nz race champs website, the fastest they got too was about 1.06.6 in race two by Martin Short. Race 3 fastest lap was 1.06.94 by Short again, but that's a reverse grid format isn't it? Fastest lap of the weekend was in qualifying and was a 1.06.37 by Bargs.

Which is interesting on a number of levels really. For one race pace was not much less that qually pace. Is this due to the small fields and the fact that the 5 cars can just race at qually pace because they have so few cars around them? Intriguing really when you compare it to the supercars that reported mid 1.02's for qual and high 1.03's/low 1.04's for race pace, yet Inky Tulloch was on TV last weekend saying that the new TLX cars where only a second off the supercars. There is some truth to that statement, but he is bending the truth quite a bit. Yes the fastest TLX may have been just over a second off the slowest V8SC, but that's as far as it goes.

I do know though, that having spoken to Inky on this matter at the end of sundays meeting at Puke (I spoke to him at the airport), he did mention that they could crank up the power to 580hp, which could make them as a quick as a supercar due to how light a TLX is (well, according to Inky anyway - I don't know the facts on the weight of a TLX).

Thanks for confirming the price on the turn-key ST Mark, and I think that price will be justified when they visit Puke in late May and, weather permitting, may be literally 1 second or less off the pace of the top running supercars (not the ones fluffing around at the back of the pack).

If they do run similar times to the supercars, then that easily justifies the extra 30-40k it costs to get into a ST, rather than the supposedly cheaper TLX.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 02:34 (Ref:3239490)   #37
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
fan don't be so tough on Inky go back a page and you'll see people comparing the fastest TL with the slowest TLX
Old 26 Apr 2013, 03:06 (Ref:3239493)   #38
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
I think you'll find Promax I am not being tough on Inky, quite the opposite in fact. I am just stating some basic facts about the car he is selling, and those facts are actually in his favour for the price he is asking. I have only met Inky once, but I must say he made an immediate impact on me as being someone who was not only passionate about his sport, but is also a fairly decent guy and is engaging in his conversation. I have no problems with Inky at all, so I am not going to be 'tough' on him.

But 'nice guy' stuff aside, I would have no idea what Inky is like to deal with at the highest level of motorsport in this country (e.g. the legal battle that was on the cards between the two 'camps' in NZ).

And promax, I am aware that people where comparing TL times with TLX times a page back, but I was really answering smokin' joes question, hence why I quoted his post.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 10:43 (Ref:3239620)   #39
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Thanks for confirming the price on the turn-key ST Mark, and I think that price will be justified when they visit Puke in late May and, weather permitting, may be literally 1 second or less off the pace of the top running supercars (not the ones fluffing around at the back of the pack).

If they do run similar times to the supercars, then that easily justifies the extra 30-40k it costs to get into a ST, rather than the supposedly cheaper TLX.
but does it ???

if avesco don't want to run the same day as a similar chassis with a monster donk busting similar lap times, then for lack of exposure, i am thinking it could be money poorly spent ?? no ??
Old 26 Apr 2013, 18:34 (Ref:3239732)   #40
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
but does it ???

if avesco don't want to run the same day as a similar chassis with a monster donk busting similar lap times, then for lack of exposure, i am thinking it could be money poorly spent ?? no ??
Pretty sure that these days it ain't the v8sc guys who are the stumbling block.
Here's hoping the agm might fix things.

One can dream.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 18:56 (Ref:3239743)   #41
bluespur
Racer

I really do not understand what you expect to be sorted at AGM, it is not really the place to sort a class's issues

Also really am not sure what the issues are. NZST have races, they are managed the same as any other class. Really what is the problem
Old 26 Apr 2013, 21:32 (Ref:3239802)   #42
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespur View Post
I really do not understand what you expect to be sorted at AGM, it is not really the place to sort a class's issues

Also really am not sure what the issues are. NZST have races, they are managed the same as any other class. Really what is the problem
i guess after going out on their own.. they found the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 00:25 (Ref:3239833)   #43
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
compared to what promax? where is the grass greener? in a field (pun!) of five cars with ****house TV production/commentary etc?
Old 27 Apr 2013, 00:48 (Ref:3239841)   #44
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
by going out on their own and wanting nothing to do with MSNZ now all we've heard from them and their number 1 fan over the last few months.. is that they should be back into the fold.. that them should be the top tier 1 class.. that they should've been at the V8SC meeting lol murphy's radio interview after the V8SC meeting was hilarious! the interviewer didn't even what he was complaining about lol the former voice of st ran down the NZ V8SC round in the media and i'm pretty sure you were one of the ones talking up the class as being superior to V8SC. then again.. you were also one the biggest critics of Volt TV's delayed coverage of NZV8s. it's funny how things work out
Old 27 Apr 2013, 21:17 (Ref:3240079)   #45
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It is highly amusing to see isn't it
Old 27 Apr 2013, 21:21 (Ref:3240080)   #46
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
by going out on their own and wanting nothing to do with MSNZ now all we've heard from them and their number 1 fan over the last few months.. is that they should be back into the fold.. that them should be the top tier 1 class.. that they should've been at the V8SC meeting lol murphy's radio interview after the V8SC meeting was hilarious! the interviewer didn't even what he was complaining about lol the former voice of st ran down the NZ V8SC round in the media and i'm pretty sure you were one of the ones talking up the class as being superior to V8SC. then again.. you were also one the biggest critics of Volt TV's delayed coverage of NZV8s. it's funny how things work out
any links to Spuddys interveiw ? Murphy spouting off is often funnier that the lads from 7Days !!
Old 27 Apr 2013, 21:48 (Ref:3240091)   #47
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
any links to Spuddys interveiw ? Murphy spouting off is often funnier that the lads from 7Days !!
http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/pr...ers-recognised

nothing new was said. the lead up to it.. it kept on being promoted as a fight between V8SC and ST ha whatever
Old 28 Apr 2013, 20:47 (Ref:3240334)   #48
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My understanding is that V8SC were more than happy to have ST at the same meeting, but MSNZ pulled the pin.

Just to make things clear, ST went their own way from TMC, not MSNZ because there just wasn't enough decent progress being made on the path towards a replacement to the TL, which as a "top class" should have been put out to pasture 5 years ago. Also there was frustration with the way TMC were marketing the series and how more and more team owners and drivers were walking away as a result.

MSNZ should never have become involved in the first place, as clearly the issue was with VEEGA, TMC and the just-formed ST companies. However, MSNZ clearly did take sides when Shayne Harris and Brian Budd were interviewed on various occasions and made their feelings known. They then went against the constitution and committed members' funds to buying the jigs for the TLX cars, which they were always going to lose money on.

What ST wanted was to achieve what they have achieved which was a brand new series with new cars and a full grid, but they would always have preferred to have done so with the support of MSNZ, if not active then at least in a passive way. Whether they have that support yet remains to be seen but I have not seen any signs that it is there apart from comments made by Crunch on this forum, but he may be a lone voice on that.

That's my understanding, anyway.

Tier 1 was on its last legs before all this anyway, uin my opinion, largely due to poor choice of support classes and small fields, plus the efforts of TMC at spending money unwisely on things such as coffee carts.
Old 28 Apr 2013, 22:04 (Ref:3240353)   #49
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Do we really need to start the mud slinging and accusations again?
Its beyond tiresome
Old 28 Apr 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3240355)   #50
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
Do we really need to start the mud slinging and accusations again?
Its beyond tiresome
I quite agree. My response was purely to a comment made by PM earlier. No mud in my paddock, even after all the rain.