Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Sep 2013, 17:39 (Ref:3310154)   #1
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The meaning of life the universe and the 2.42 lap of Spa in a clockwork car.

Too true, but the whole point is that most of the 26Rs out there aren't correct; they are, at best, updated and upgraded replicas.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 17:51 (Ref:3310157)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Clive have that discussion elsewhere. As Simon has said they were pretty competitive in period. If they've been "improved" arguably that t will be no more that that of the other cars. I guess I'm saying, let's give it a rest.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 18:01 (Ref:3310159)   #3
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
I can barely believe what I'm reading.

Have I just been warned off for simply expressing a view contrary to that of one of the Masters Of The Universe, a 10 Tenths moderator?
Old 27 Sep 2013, 18:25 (Ref:3310166)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nope I have just expressed my boredom at the constant criticism of the development of historic racing cars. If that makes your head explode, so be it. Enjoy.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 18:47 (Ref:3310177)   #5
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
....But if they're developed, then they're not Historic.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3310186)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
So stop complaining.

The "development" discussion can be found here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139413

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 29 Sep 2013 at 07:10.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 05:16 (Ref:3310908)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite agree, it, for me used to be the highlight of the year.14 entries into the six hour must have meant something? However, because of my very strong "anti cheating" feelings, its a race I simply cannot be bothered to do in a lower powered car ( by comparison).There was a very good chance this year that I and a couple of work mates from the academy would indeed by using something quite exotic for an atempt at the event.The car I know to have been completely in compliance with the regs was pretty easy to get round in around the
2:42s so would have been resonably competative .Still, as it didn't happen this year as the owner of the car accepted a silly price for the car, he has however promised us a similar car for next year's event. Shakedown hopefully by April 2014, fingers crossed!!!!!!!
Old 30 Sep 2013, 06:52 (Ref:3310931)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2.42 reasonably competitive???!!! Should have been a front runner! what car was it?
Old 30 Sep 2013, 06:57 (Ref:3310933)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An Italian one.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 06:58 (Ref:3310934)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, best GT40 qually times were 2.44s if I've read them right
Old 30 Sep 2013, 07:17 (Ref:3310938)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Given the only Italian car of that era to be up with a GT40 was a Ferrari 250 LM or possibly a 330 P2 I am very impressed! However I am not sure you are right when you say it could be quicker than a GT40.... in period yes but today I am not so sure.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 07:33 (Ref:3310941)   #12
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Who was going to drive it to this 2 42 time Terrance?
Old 30 Sep 2013, 08:08 (Ref:3310952)   #13
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty easy apparently John!
Old 30 Sep 2013, 08:11 (Ref:3310953)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In period the LM could, in the right hands beat a GT40 but definitely not a done deal. A 330P2 could be a better bet but would struggle greatly now, I feel. Perhaps we are talking an Italian-American hybrid in which the ability to extract more power is now available. Like J R, I too, would be interested in who could do a 2.42 in whatever it was.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 08:16 (Ref:3310955)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

The only period Italian American hybrid I can find is a Bizzarini and given Roger Wills is no slouch round Spa and has one maybe he could give us some colour as to the effort required in popping in a cheeky 2-42?!
Old 30 Sep 2013, 10:21 (Ref:3310999)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
In period the LM could, in the right hands beat a GT40 but definitely not a done deal. A 330P2 could be a better bet but would struggle greatly now, I feel. Perhaps we are talking an Italian-American hybrid in which the ability to extract more power is now available. Like J R, I too, would be interested in who could do a 2.42 in whatever it was.

Apparently,all three of us.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 11:35 (Ref:3311020)   #17
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
So a Pre 66 car that none of us has discovered is going to do a 2 42 lap at Spa in 6 hrs with you Terrance as chauffeur next September.

How about a wager?

Worth paying out if you can.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 13:10 (Ref:3311057)   #18
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
It's a 6lt V12 Trabant that was homoligated in Outer Mongoilia in 1962 and "discovered" by TWR in the 80s !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Sep 2013, 13:33 (Ref:3311066)   #19
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
It's a 6lt V12 Trabant that was homoligated in Outer Mongoilia in 1962 and "discovered" by TWR in the 80s !
Trabant has Italian connections?

Italian must mean FIAT connection (one way or another) so how about a V8 Lada or Yugo formerly a winner of the FiA associated Hill Climb Championship of Kiribata?
Old 30 Sep 2013, 13:53 (Ref:3311072)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
De Tomaso Vallelunga with a 2L 16v Ford-willment twin cam
Old 30 Sep 2013, 14:01 (Ref:3311076)   #21
simon drabble
Veteran

The number 42 is, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, " The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything, including the 2-42 lap at Spa"
so maybe we need to be looking more intergalactically....
Old 30 Sep 2013, 14:37 (Ref:3311087)   #22
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

There is an Italian prepared sledge with ten reindeer power that flys round any circuit as long as chauffeur is in red nomex.

Always available in September as they don't start marathon preparation until October for end of year jaunt.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 19:25 (Ref:3311164)   #23
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjEdxO91RWQ

I have nearly 30 years experience of Italian scooters and I have no desire to get any further off the ground in or on anything Italian.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 07:59 (Ref:3311321)   #24
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JR, are you running the book? I want a piece of the action on this one!! 2.42 in something nobody has figured out. Yeah right.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 08:14 (Ref:3311325)   #25
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Just to let you know....It would STILL be eligible for the 360!!!!

I can see a wager coming on.........!