Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Will someone finish the R1 Melbourne race?
Yes 72 92.31%
No 6 7.69%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 Mar 2014, 22:00 (Ref:3375931)   #26
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Sorry. Ill try again. Grojean/Maldando to tackle each other.
OR/AND
Hearing Rob Smedley say; "Kimi is faster than you".
Yes. That will do me....
Rob has signed to Williams BTW http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112640
Old 6 Mar 2014, 22:17 (Ref:3375937)   #27
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
is it immediate or is Ferrari holding on to him for a bit...you know for stuff like "Kimi, Alonso is gardening better than you"

back on topic, Sodemo way to Kobayashi maru the vote
Old 6 Mar 2014, 22:46 (Ref:3375950)   #28
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Smedley to Williams? YES!!!!! Massa ok then. Good stuff.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 22:48 (Ref:3375953)   #29
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Rob to Williams. I LIKE THAT! Cracking stuff.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 06:21 (Ref:3376026)   #30
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There will definately be finishers but I am going to make one left field prediction I'll probably come to regret. Massa/Bottas will 1,2 at Melbourne in either order.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 13:56 (Ref:3376130)   #31
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a very sad prospect that F1 is going to willingly embarrass itself as an organisation no matter how it has come about. The so called cream or Motorsport are going to go to a race meeting with the real prospect that a large number are not going to finish due to incompetence from everyone involved from the top down. If it does turn out to be a debacle watch the recriminations fly, this will be the interesting part. Why would a promoter pay millions of dollars for a show that has a strong possibility of being a fizzer and be happy about it?
Old 7 Mar 2014, 16:22 (Ref:3376177)   #32
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
That's an over-reaction if i've ever heard one /\

For a start, I think this topic is slightly OTT in itself. Of course someone will finish the race.

Teams have been doing over race distance in testing, so why would all of them blow up for the race?

Sure, we'll have a fair few retirements, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see all of this hysteria amount to nothing when only 4-5 cars end up retiring.

And did Ferrari/McLaren/Jordan all get crap back in the day for retiring nearly every other race? Nope.

It's new regs, with not much testing. I for one think it's fantastic!

F1 is a TEAM sport, and this year, the teams have really had their work cut out for them. How is that not a good thing?

Selby
Old 7 Mar 2014, 16:43 (Ref:3376187)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I haven't seen an attritional race, with half the field or less finishing for a long time. Melbourne could produce such a race.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 17:53 (Ref:3376228)   #34
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I haven't seen an attritional race, with half the field or less finishing for a long time. Melbourne could produce such a race.
I guess the danger is that contenders might elect to take it a bit easy if they're concerned about the engine holding up. Which could make for interesting strategies, but pretty poor racing.

On the other hand, if all the big dogs go like the proverbial bat out of hell and blow up, maybe one of the really slow teams could score a podium?
Old 7 Mar 2014, 17:53 (Ref:3376229)   #35
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I think all the cars will finish the race and Red Bull will stun everyone when Vettell laps the whole field.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 18:00 (Ref:3376232)   #36
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Yes it would be an embaressment if there were no finishers or only a handful of cars were blatantly tootling around to make it to the end with no one even trying to set a reasonable pace but that is hardly likely.

If half the field drops out that's fine, give 'em something to work on for the next race In fact we had many races like this in the "glory days" of F1 which most posters on here seem to want to magically return to, so I really don't see the problem.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 19:09 (Ref:3376260)   #37
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe that a few of the backmarker teams would be wise to run slow and pick up the pieces. I think Marussia will score their first points soon. If not at Australia, certainly before we reach Europe.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 7 Mar 2014, 21:41 (Ref:3376307)   #38
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
It is a very sad prospect that F1 is going to willingly embarrass itself as an organisation no matter how it has come about. The so called cream or Motorsport are going to go to a race meeting with the real prospect that a large number are not going to finish due to incompetence from everyone involved from the top down. If it does turn out to be a debacle watch the recriminations fly, this will be the interesting part. Why would a promoter pay millions of dollars for a show that has a strong possibility of being a fizzer and be happy about it?
So F1 could look a bit more like it did when I first fell in love with it:
http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/a...1967/f167.html

Horrors!

Graham Hill, Dan Gurney, and Jackie Stewart sure had a sucky season! I forgot about that.

500 KG minimum weight!

Those were the days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
In fact we had many races like this in the "glory days" of F1 which most posters on here seem to want to magically return to, so I really don't see the problem.
Yup!
Old 7 Mar 2014, 21:43 (Ref:3376310)   #39
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Rob to Williams. I LIKE THAT! Cracking stuff.
Rob, if you're reading, come and buy me a pint. I really like your work and we could be bestest friends.

Lots of love,

A fellow northerner in Oxfordshire.
Old 8 Mar 2014, 01:04 (Ref:3376357)   #40
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam46 View Post
I believe that a few of the backmarker teams would be wise to run slow and pick up the pieces. I think Marussia will score their first points soon. If not at Australia, certainly before we reach Europe.
Yeh, I suggested on another site that they could split their strategies.

Have one card 'tuned up' and the other 'tuned down'. You'd have Bianchi with the car turned up a little to see where they stand and push where necessary, and have Chilton's turned down with the sole purpose of (almost) definitely finishing the race and hope others fall away.

It could be an even better idea with Caterham.

Selby
Old 8 Mar 2014, 11:33 (Ref:3376447)   #41
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
You need to look at history a little. Even if most of the cars retired it wouldn't be any worse than Monaco in 1982. Patrese won because second and third were a lap behind after running out of fuel...(Pironi and de Cesaris) Mansell and de Angelis were next , running but a lap down and Daly had crashed the Williams so was two laps down and not running... The rest had all gone two laps or more before the finish...
The thing was the race was so sensational and had so much surprise in it, that it was regarded as a great dramatic race!

Back in 1968 only 16 cars were allowed to start at Monaco.

Hill and Attwood were the only ones on the lead lap. Third and fourth (Cooper BRM's) were 4 laps down and Hulme was 5th, 7 laps down. In an 80 lap race the other 11 cars were all out by lap 17..... It was just the way it was. It was tough mechanically back then...
If reliability is bad people will still take the positives out of it.
Old 8 Mar 2014, 12:10 (Ref:3376455)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
You need to look at history a little. Even if most of the cars retired it wouldn't be any worse than Monaco in 1982. Patrese won because second and third were a lap behind after running out of fuel...(Pironi and de Cesaris) Mansell and de Angelis were next , running but a lap down and Daly had crashed the Williams so was two laps down and not running... The rest had all gone two laps or more before the finish...
The thing was the race was so sensational and had so much surprise in it, that it was regarded as a great dramatic race!

Back in 1968 only 16 cars were allowed to start at Monaco.

Hill and Attwood were the only ones on the lead lap. Third and fourth (Cooper BRM's) were 4 laps down and Hulme was 5th, 7 laps down. In an 80 lap race the other 11 cars were all out by lap 17..... It was just the way it was. It was tough mechanically back then...
If reliability is bad people will still take the positives out of it.
It is worth looking at a little history, so I chose at random the 1977 Spanish GP. From a starting line up of 24 cars, 14 were classified at the finish, 5 of which were still on the lead lap, a few others were a lap or two down but some were down by as much 4 or 5 laps. The 1978 Spanish GP isn't much different.
Old 8 Mar 2014, 20:04 (Ref:3376513)   #43
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
You can't really compare the 1970's races with today,as the mechanical reliabilty of F1 motors of the '70s was nothing like the engines of today.
Old 8 Mar 2014, 20:46 (Ref:3376527)   #44
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
You can't really compare the 1970's races with today,as the mechanical reliabilty of F1 motors of the '70s was nothing like the engines of today.
Which is kind of the point really, the new rules mean building an F1 car that complies with the regulations, is reasonably quick and makes it to the end of the race is an interesting challenge once again instead of being taken for granted with the competitive edge coming from minute differences. In many ways that's a return to the F1 I knew in my youth and I'm looking forward to it.

Of course it may not be like that for long, maybe just the first few races.
Old 8 Mar 2014, 21:23 (Ref:3376543)   #45
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
It will be interesting to see how these new turbo engines stand up for the first few races.
Old 8 Mar 2014, 22:58 (Ref:3376572)   #46
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I volunteer to eat my hat if not one car makes it to the finish line.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 03:39 (Ref:3376617)   #47
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Hope it tates good, either way.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 08:34 (Ref:3376641)   #48
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Hi Born Racer, 58 laps in two hours, i.e. full 200 mile distance?
Is this the finish line you have in mind?
Old 9 Mar 2014, 09:23 (Ref:3376654)   #49
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This may be a good idea.

Old 9 Mar 2014, 10:23 (Ref:3376671)   #50
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think there's a good possibility that none of the Renaults will finish, at least not RB and Lotus.

Might throw up a surprise winner or podium. I hope Mercedes don't just dominate though.