Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 13 Feb 2018, 16:23 (Ref:3801004)   #26
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I used to ‘live’ Motoring News, or Motorsport News as it’s called nowadays. I bet the other Mike did as well, especially the multiple pages of race / rally cars and spares for sale in the classifieds!
What you say is true, but for reasons that I cannot recall, I never purchased MN.

Before I became interested in motorsport, I met and established a friendship with one of Gregor Grant's (the founder of Autosport) sons who happened to live very near me. Through the son I met a new group of friends who were all into motorsport and so started my love affair with the sport.

I was lucky that I didn't need to rely on adverts for sourcing spares and parts. Through networking, I amassed a huge supply chain, but a lot was engineered by my own fair hands. I believed in racing on the cheap, and bartered as much as I could for what I needed. Worked for 5 years, until I needed to replace the motor with something a bit more sophisticated than a pre-crossflow push-rod.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 17:05 (Ref:3801022)   #27
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Nothing against Kevin at all, but the editor is hardly the boss these days.

Again, anyone who thinks reporting is to do with PR departments and press releases clearly doesn’t know what journalism is!
for those of us who know nothing of PR / press / media, how about you try to expand the above so we can understand what you mean, and why?
Old 13 Feb 2018, 17:22 (Ref:3801028)   #28
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
peebee- So, you’ve nothing against the Editor. In which case, who exactly are you directing the harsh criticism shown in your posts at?
I guess it wasn’t personal, more a general and disappointed gripe, but I think the publisher/editor-in-chief call the shots, which isn’t Kevin.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 17:23 (Ref:3801029)   #29
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
for those of us who know nothing of PR / press / media, how about you try to expand the above so we can understand what you mean, and why?
If I wanted press releases, I’d just get on their lists. Good journalists, like Marcus Simmons for example, will dig below the bs and find the proper story, and then present it truthfully without offending the people in the team. Generally it turns out to be the opposite of the PR was portraying...
Old 13 Feb 2018, 18:04 (Ref:3801047)   #30
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i feel that may be a case of F1 reporting overall rather then just an issue with the Z.Brown network.

as far as i can tell there is not much difference in the range of stories found on the ESPN F1 site(for example) vs autosport vs motorsport. and if it does seem Mclaren/Alonso heavy i am inclined to agree with Mike, that maybe Mclaren are just better at pushing their message then others.

one thing to add and this may be neither here nor there, but how has Ferrari's decision not to be as open with the media affected how F1 is reported?

all sites/publications seem to have a lack of Ferrari related articles/features/interviews which on the surface is strange given they are probably the most popular team in every market.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 19:05 (Ref:3801075)   #31
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
All very well but journalism has nothing to do with press releases...
Quite, but that isn’t the point I was making or responding too.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 19:30 (Ref:3801083)   #32
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i am inclined to agree with Mike,
Sucking up to me won't win you any prizes!
Old 13 Feb 2018, 20:18 (Ref:3801099)   #33
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Sucking up to me won't win you any prizes!

well given how many times i have disagreed with you in the past i think i deserve some sort of credit for agreeing this time around!

Old 13 Feb 2018, 22:48 (Ref:3801135)   #34
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I gave up reading print media for two reasons.

One, I worked in it for a short time and realised how utterly biased it all is towards certain sports and drivers. I made up stories, letters, news stories routinely.

And two, it pays crap.

Oh and three, it is full of mainly people with qualifications who don't really care about motorsport only what they can get out of it, and a few people that really do care, but realise quickly how facile it is and quit!! Or brave it out!!.. fair play to them.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 22:59 (Ref:3801140)   #35
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

well given how many times i have disagreed with you in the past i think i deserve some sort of credit for agreeing this time around!

Name:  No Credit Given.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  11.8 KB
Old 14 Feb 2018, 09:37 (Ref:3801219)   #36
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
If I wanted press releases, I’d just get on their lists. Good journalists, like Marcus Simmons for example, will dig below the bs and find the proper story, and then present it truthfully without offending the people in the team. Generally it turns out to be the opposite of the PR was portraying...
never heard of him (but I can use google).
Seems to be as much BS here as everywhere else
https://www.autosport.com/profile/marcus+simmons
Old 14 Feb 2018, 09:50 (Ref:3801226)   #37
peebee2
Veteran

Another day, yet another McLaren (non-) story, quoting Z Brown.

I can see some don’t agree that the site and magazine are fast becoming worthless. Mind you someone above noted motorsport.com had nothing different to Autosport - you realise this is essentially the same site you know??
Old 14 Feb 2018, 16:14 (Ref:3801302)   #38
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry, but this emoji just came to mind.....
Old 14 Feb 2018, 16:17 (Ref:3801303)   #39
peebee2
Veteran

Thanks!!
Old 14 Feb 2018, 18:57 (Ref:3801339)   #40
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
You’re welcome!

Coincidentally I got two emails from Autosport today, and despite searching high and low there wasn’t one mention of McLaren! Should I be disappointed?
Old 14 Feb 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3801343)   #41
peebee2
Veteran

I should complain!

“Distraught of Woking”
Old 14 Feb 2018, 19:00 (Ref:3801344)   #42
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I see Verstappen has revealed his helmet design. Hardly news is it? I wasn’t aware he’d signed for McLaren though.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 19:03 (Ref:3801345)   #43
peebee2
Veteran

You heard it here first then!

I was rather unimpressed with that story.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 07:38 (Ref:3801463)   #44
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
24 hour news extends to motor sport. It's a difficult time of year, there's nothing to print but getting eyeballs on adverts requires fresh articles.

Fifty years ago the printed magazine would be very slim at this time of year, but these days the "want it now" generation needs their "fix". Hence press releases from compliant teams, and having had to write PR myself without any "news" to base them on I can see how the facile suddenly becomes oh-so-important.

Roll with it, the season will be here soon. In the meantime patience is a virtue. There probably isn't anything any more interesting happening.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 15 Feb 2018, 10:36 (Ref:3801529)   #45
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i don’t think the “want it now” generation care, to be honest. it’s an editorial decision from somewhere either based on commercial situations or a perception that that’s what the market demands. if people of any age think there is new things every day then they go back every day, simple as that. and everything is about traffic, especially with advertisers and commercial realities.

the 24 hour news culture is a monster of the industrys own creation. 24 hour availability of anything is hard to go back on.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 12:31 (Ref:3801562)   #46
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Well, I eagerly downloaded this week’s edition, and there’s an F1 Ferrari on the cover! Turn to page 3, and another Ferrari pic- what’s going on? And to add insult to all Macca fans, a 44 page Historic Racing supplement...... Maybe there’s an old one or two in there
Old 15 Feb 2018, 12:53 (Ref:3801566)   #47
peebee2
Veteran

Don’t panic, the “Daily McLaren” is up now.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 14:25 (Ref:3801595)   #48
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There's a free historic supplement in today's issue too
Old 15 Feb 2018, 16:18 (Ref:3801606)   #49
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
There's a free historic supplement in today's issue too
Yes I mentioned that- and very good it is too. AND there's a McLaren (M1B) pictured...
Old 15 Feb 2018, 20:51 (Ref:3801680)   #50
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I’ve just seen the cover of Autosport. I didn’t realise the new livery for McLaren was red and they’ve got Santander sponsorship.