Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 3 Jul 2003, 12:37 (Ref:650809)   #1
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boston to Newport RI

Hey there!

In a few weeks time I will be picking up a Chevy Cavalier and driving around the Boston to Newport area.

Anything significant up that way of a Motorsport nature?

Hows the countryside? hilly? curvy?

The Chevy seems like quite good little machine - looking forward to the experience!!
Old 3 Jul 2003, 23:42 (Ref:651477)   #2
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Weclome to the land of the real Yankees

Hey, 275 GTB-4.

I may be your best tourguide as I now live about 25 miles North of Boston and grew up in Rhode Island.

The closest track is a short oval for stock cars called Seekonk Speedway , in Seekonk, Massachusetts, 5 minutes east of Providence, Rhode Island. Its a pretty rough crowd but a slice of real Americana.

For road racing, Lime Rock Parkis about three hours west of Boston in the extreme northwest corner of Connecticut. The Berkeshire Mountains in which it is located, are lovely and have great roads.

North of Boston, the drive up route 1A would be fun as far as Ipswhich, which has some lovely old houses and the amazing Crane's Beach and Castle Hill. There is a very good Concours D'Elegance at the house every September if you are here. The roads around the beach are a great drive-and the Ice Cream is killer.

All of New Englnad is rolling green countryside. Vermont is the most lush and verdant-but it also has real mountains.

New Hampshire, has big mountains to the Northeast, and I've heard that the drive up Mt. Washington is a gas. For Motorsports, there is New Hampshire International Speedway , the NASCAR Winston and busch races sell out early, but you might be able to nail tickets.

Massachusetts is lower and rolling, with higher elevations to the west and Rhode Island is rolling lowlands, the southern part of New England having been formed by glacial run-off-the beaches are great and the water warmer than it is in Northern New England

Rhode Island is a very bizarre and wonderful place-the smallest of the States. Providence is worth your time, there is a festival called Waterfire on alternating Saturday nights that is worth the stop-its sublime and a real scene.

Newport of course has the mansions and beaches. Ocean drive is about 13 miles of great views and twisting road. East of Newport is Little Compton, a lovely unspoiled village, (get Johnnycakes and Clam cakes in the Common's Lunch) and by all means, get ice cream at Gray's Ice Cream in Tiverton Four Corners. There is also a nice vineyard and B&B in Little Compton, Sakonnet Vineyards.

To drive from Boston to Newport, go the easterly route taking Route 24 through Fall River, and if you are interested in ships, the USS Massachusetts a WWII Battleship is docked there along with several other retired warships.

Again the drive form Boston to Newport,hour is about 1 1/2 hours on the highways-more at rush hour and off the beaten track. From Newport back up to Providence, on routes 138 and 95, allow 45 minutes. Providence back to Boston 1 hour.

PM me if you want more info. Let me know when you are here maybe we can get a drink. I can give hotel recommendations and restaurants if you like.

A word on the Cav. its small and was an outdated design when new-don't expect blistering performance.

And a word to the wise. Boston drivers are considered to be the worst in the US. They never use turn signals, cut ahead using the emergency lane, refuse to merge-and never give the other guy a break. Also, we have a lot of Roundabouts, called "Rotaries" here, that are uncommon elsewhere in the US. The rule is the car IN the Rotary has the right-of-way-don't stake your life on it though. Avoid the Central Artery in boston from 6:00 AM to 10:00 AM and from 2:00 PM till 8:00 PM if you can avoid it. In Boston, take the "T".

Bon Voyage!
Old 4 Jul 2003, 01:39 (Ref:651570)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Waterfire

I had to include this shot.... Providence is a lovely city with a several great universities and a wonderful Art Gallery affiliated with RISD, (The Rhode Island School of Design, Alma Mater of Sam Posey, Martin Mull and 3 0f the 4 Talking Heads)

Old 4 Jul 2003, 07:46 (Ref:651742)   #4
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I've heard that the drive up Mt. Washington is a gas
It certainly is. Their website lists which vehicles they don't allow up, mostly small domestic cars, probably because they don't have the grunt to climb the hill.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 10:27 (Ref:651848)   #5
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the land of the real Yankees

Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Hey, 275 GTB-4.

I may be your best tourguide as I now live about 25 miles North of Boston and grew up in Rhode Island.

The closest track is a short oval for stock cars called Seekonk Speedway , in Seekonk, Massachusetts, 5 minutes east of Providence, Rhode Island. Its a pretty rough crowd but a slice of real Americana.

For road racing, Lime Rock Parkis about three hours west of Boston in the extreme northwest corner of Connecticut. The Berkeshire Mountains in which it is located, are lovely and have great roads.

North of Boston, the drive up route 1A would be fun as far as Ipswhich, which has some lovely old houses and the amazing Crane's Beach and Castle Hill. There is a very good Concours D'Elegance at the house every September if you are here. The roads around the beach are a great drive-and the Ice Cream is killer.

All of New Englnad is rolling green countryside. Vermont is the most lush and verdant-but it also has real mountains.

New Hampshire, has big mountains to the Northeast, and I've heard that the drive up Mt. Washington is a gas. For Motorsports, there is New Hampshire International Speedway , the NASCAR Winston and busch races sell out early, but you might be able to nail tickets.

Massachusetts is lower and rolling, with higher elevations to the west and Rhode Island is rolling lowlands, the southern part of New England having been formed by glacial run-off-the beaches are great and the water warmer than it is in Northern New England

Rhode Island is a very bizarre and wonderful place-the smallest of the States. Providence is worth your time, there is a festival called Waterfire on alternating Saturday nights that is worth the stop-its sublime and a real scene.

Newport of course has the mansions and beaches. Ocean drive is about 13 miles of great views and twisting road. East of Newport is Little Compton, a lovely unspoiled village, (get Johnnycakes and Clam cakes in the Common's Lunch) and by all means, get ice cream at Gray's Ice Cream in Tiverton Four Corners. There is also a nice vineyard and B&B in Little Compton, Sakonnet Vineyards.

To drive from Boston to Newport, go the easterly route taking Route 24 through Fall River, and if you are interested in ships, the URL=http://www.battleshipcove.org/]USS Massachusetts[/URL] a WWII Battleship is docked there along with several other retired warships.

Again the drive form Boston to Newport,hour is about 1 1/2 hours on the highways-more at rush hour and off the beaten track. From Newport back up to Providence, on routes 138 and 95, allow 45 minutes. Providence back to Boston 1 hour.

PM me if you want more info. Let me know when you are here maybe we can get a drink. I can give hotel recommendations and restaurants if you like.

A word on the Cav. its small and was an outdated design when new-don't expect blistering performance.

And a word to the wise. Boston drivers are considered to be the worst in the US. They never use turn signals, cut ahead using the emergency lane, refuse to merge-and never give the other guy a break. Also, we have a lot of Roundabouts, called "Rotaries" here, that are uncommon elsewhere in the US. The rule is the car IN the Rotary has the right-of-way-don't stake your life on it though. Avoid the Central Artery in boston from 6:00 AM to 10:00 AM and from 2:00 PM till 8:00 PM if you can avoid it. In Boston, take the "T".

Bon Voyage!
Wow! Thanks Guys!!

EERO you sound like a professional tour guide buddy. Many thanks for the good ideas. I will definately be doin some of those things (also looking up Mount Washington on the map )

I will definately check out the attractions around Newport you have pointed out. I love those old battlewagons as well so that will be on the list to. As for rotaries - the whole premise of Canberra is built on them - we have an interesting rule here, about 50 yards from the circle you floor the accelerator to demand right of way and sail on through - think I'll fit right in!! :confused:
Old 4 Jul 2003, 10:28 (Ref:651852)   #6
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Awesome!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Humpage
It certainly is. Their website lists which vehicles they don't allow up, mostly small domestic cars, probably because they don't have the grunt to climb the hill.
Have to do this if at all possible!!
Old 4 Jul 2003, 10:31 (Ref:651854)   #7
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Fav Band

Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
I had to include this shot.... Providence is a lovely city with a several great universities and a wonderful Art Gallery affiliated with RISD, (The Rhode Island School of Design, Alma Mater of Sam Posey, Martin Mull and 3 0f the 4 Talking Heads)

I was at college when David Byrne and the band broke over here - fascinating stuff and I still play it! Are they still playing/together?
Old 4 Jul 2003, 12:54 (Ref:652171)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Re: Welcome to the land of the real Yankees

Quote:
Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
... As for rotaries - the whole premise of Canberra is built on them - we have an interesting rule here, about 50 yards from the circle you floor the accelerator to demand right of way and sail on through - think I'll fit right in!! :confused:
I should guess you will!!!! (*CRUNCH*)

As for the Heads, after they left RISD, they moved to New York, did the CBGB's thing, broke big and the rest is History. I think they disbanded for good in the late '80's
Old 30 Jul 2003, 04:54 (Ref:674927)   #9
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mick, have a great trip, it already sounds like you will.

EERO, you're an awesome tour guide, going to the trouble of providing all that info and discretely enclosoing all those links is just terrific. People like you are why so many people are happy to be a part of this community.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 22:23 (Ref:675827)   #10
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh please, David! EERO just made all that up. There's not an ounce of charity in that man. Either that or he's really hard up for someone to visit and buy him a beer!
Old 31 Jul 2003, 02:47 (Ref:675915)   #11
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm with Neil!

I am also green with envy!
Old 31 Jul 2003, 03:33 (Ref:675934)   #12
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Envy is it? We thought something else was making you green, at least that would account for the smell. :laughing
Old 1 Aug 2003, 17:15 (Ref:677343)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally posted by Neil C
Oh please, David! EERO just made all that up. There's not an ounce of charity in that man. Either that or he's really hard up for someone to visit and buy him a beer!

Darn, I've been found out!
Old 1 Aug 2003, 17:51 (Ref:677363)   #14
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are into Alfas, Alfa Unlimited is in Norfolk, Ct, near Lime Rock....
Old 3 Aug 2003, 23:11 (Ref:679070)   #15
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Boston to Newport RI

Quote:
Originally posted by 275 GTB-4

The Chevy seems like quite good little machine - looking forward to the experience!!

Now THAT'S funny !!

I look forward to hearing your post driving experience..
Old 7 Aug 2003, 11:53 (Ref:681950)   #16
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Boston to Newport RI

Quote:
Originally posted by fast95pony
Now THAT'S funny !!

I look forward to hearing your post driving experience..
I'm back!! 30 odd hours of travelling each way ain't all that special!! Had a good time, could not believe the traffic on the 93/95 on a weekday afternoon!! I took an exit, got lost, found again etc all good fun.

Think I saw the "short oval for stock cars called Seekonk Speedway, in Seekonk, Massachusetts". I half wished there had been a meeting on. Best driving was on the back roads.

The little Chevy was well....a little Chevy!! Next time I think I will be in a larger Chrysler product!! The pee-formance was OK (so long as you were patient) and it got excellent gas mileage (that's fuel consumption to the Antipodeans).

I got to see a few sights like Old Ironsides in Bawstan. Went north right throught the CBD just to check out the exits. Stopped for a late Breakfast up before Medford (close to EERO country I would imagine) and the 3 egg omelete/beef wrap was great.

As for the spaghetti junction that Boston is ....hmmmmmm, pure luck I sorted that lot out!!. Highlight was sitting in an Irish Pub in Newport one evening watching a Baseball game in the safety of a caged off section (quite nice!!).

I look forward to seeing some more next time!!
Old 11 Aug 2003, 11:46 (Ref:684917)   #17
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Glad you had a good time and I'm sorry I missed you. Medford's about 15 miles south of where I live.

I neglected to mention any of the attractions in Boston because I figured the guides woulfd give you all that. Old Ironsides is a great, i'm glad you got to see it. Whenever I was feeling moody in Grad school, I'd drive over to Charlestown to see her.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 15:25 (Ref:700796)   #18
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What sort of shape is Bridgehampton in these days ???
Old 28 Aug 2003, 13:19 (Ref:701794)   #19
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Its part of a very tony seaside resort area overpopulated with wealthy New Yorkers. The roadcourse is long gone.

See the followeing link:

http://users.rcn.com/comscc/tracks/bridgeha.html
Old 28 Aug 2003, 13:27 (Ref:701800)   #20
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
eero, thanks for update. It was still there when I called by about 10 yrs ago, but looking a bit rough around the edges. Hope BH, oulton, cadwell and snett don't go the same way. How far N of Boston are you as a matter of interest?