Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Apr 2004, 19:33 (Ref:940812)   #1
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Historic F1

I read in Autosport today that Bernie banned all TV (even for transmission on the large screens at the circuit) coverage of the Historic F1 race in Bahrain. Think he is concerned that his own show would not compare well with the historics. I also understand that interest in these cars was high, even with the F1 guys .
Old 15 Apr 2004, 21:41 (Ref:940933)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
When the TGP guys supported the British GP a few years ago it was a fabulous race and the spectators all stayed behind to see a great race. It's a shame that Oliver and the gang can't come to an agreement with FOM to run at most of the European GP's as an official support package.
Old 15 Apr 2004, 21:51 (Ref:940949)   #3
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It also said in autosport that B Ecclestone did not want TGP as a support race. But then the FIA has never wanted to promote anything which would compete with F1 which is a great shame as these are great cars with fantastic history.
Old 15 Apr 2004, 23:45 (Ref:941025)   #4
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the driver were allowed to run with camera's on their cars though. The one we run went with it attached.
Old 15 Apr 2004, 23:58 (Ref:941030)   #5
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
If this is true it just shows what a farce the present way of running F1 is. The FIA refuse to promote any other class that might gain public support and weaken F1 then run F1 with regulations that are nonsense and partially contribute to the lack of real racing.
If F1 is that fragile maybe it is time we had someone else create a rival series or even a rival sanctioning body.
No wonder Max and Bernie were concerned about the manufacturers series if it had started.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 09:00 (Ref:941287)   #6
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen TGP and EuroBoss Races, they are great.
Seeing and hearing the cars makes me week at the knees and If anything deepens my love for F1.
TGP should be support at everyround of the F1 year.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 09:03 (Ref:941291)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
And less we forget, the TGP are an FIA sanctioned series!
Old 16 Apr 2004, 09:08 (Ref:941295)   #8
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would love to go see a EuroBOSS race some time soon, just the thought of seeing all those old F1 cars racing again is pure blissssssss. Do they ever even race outside the UK though??
Old 16 Apr 2004, 09:15 (Ref:941300)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
From a spectator point of view the Thoroughbred Grad Prix cars are better to watch as they are ALL F1 cars. Euroboss are made from all sorts of series, some F1, some F3000, some F5000 and so on. TGP visit Spa (although I think they have already been there this year) Monza and some other European circuits. Have a look at their website for full details.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 12:13 (Ref:941473)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by foreversideways
But then the FIA has never wanted to promote anything which would compete with F1 which is a great shame as these are great cars with fantastic history.
I'm not sure i understand your bit about "competing" with F1.

The cars are not as quick as todays cars, the racing may be closer, but i have been to Thoroughbreds and EuroBoss races and they don't pull in anywhere near the crowds that modern day F1 pulls in, so i don't see how it can compete?
Old 16 Apr 2004, 12:50 (Ref:941511)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think TGP is great and go and see them whenever they are on at Donington. I was even in a support race to them last year and to share a paddock and weekend with them was great.

However I don't think the series is a threat or competitor to modern F1. More a compliment.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 13:18 (Ref:941538)   #12
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No surprise for such a ban. In Italy the only TV covered form of auto racing is F1.
Champ cars and IRL for instance, cannot even be mentioned by the evening news.
Last year the italian version of your beloved James Allen said during an F1 race that Maserati is the latest italian constructor who won Indy500, in 1931.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 13:33 (Ref:941557)   #13
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
From a spectator point of view the Thoroughbred Grad Prix cars are better to watch as they are ALL F1 cars. Euroboss are made from all sorts of series, some F1, some F3000, some F5000 and so on. TGP visit Spa (although I think they have already been there this year) Monza and some other European circuits. Have a look at their website for full details.
Websites:TGP www.tgp-f1.com
Euroboss; www.euroboss2004.com
Euroboss only managed 10 starters for this years first round at Silverstone on Monday,not very promising.TGP only raced at Bahrain so far.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 14:13 (Ref:941596)   #14
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also pop into the Historic Forum, There's plenty to discuss in there!
Old 16 Apr 2004, 14:33 (Ref:941618)   #15
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
I agree that this series should not compete with current F1, remember these are amateur drivers competing for fun and the love of the sport. The cars clearly are not as quick as current F1 cars however i dont think outright speed has ever been the be all and end all. The point you make Mr V that "the racing is closer" is the point. That in my opinion is what motor racing should be about. They will never attract the audience which Formula 1 does as to some degree F1 is an exercise in marketing. This is why i do not understand the reaction of B Ecclestone. I am sure that by exploiting your history you can enhance your product. It should also be noted that all forms of historic motor racing are becoming more popular both with competitors and spectators alike. Please provide 300 word disitation on that topic before assembly on monday !!!.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 14:38 (Ref:941630)   #16
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Just thought , its a bit like having your starter before your main course. What better than a historic F1 race to wet your appetite for the main event. Better than watching the red arrows or the Harrier for the 20th time.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 14:41 (Ref:941636)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
It is unlikely they would be allowed to run before Formula 1 as there are rules regaring how long the track has to be left free of racing before F1 begins. TGP could however be the race immediately after the Grand Prix as it was about three years ago at Silverstone.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 14:44 (Ref:941639)   #18
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A reflection I think on modern race cars.The old ones are much more fun to watch and apparently to drive.My plan for the next F1-front engines no wings,narrow treaded tyres,no electronic aids.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 15:40 (Ref:941719)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by foreversideways
Just thought , its a bit like having your starter before your main course. What better than a historic F1 race to wet your appetite for the main event. Better than watching the red arrows or the Harrier for the 20th time.
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
It is unlikely they would be allowed to run before Formula 1 as there are rules regaring how long the track has to be left free of racing before F1 begins. TGP could however be the race immediately after the Grand Prix as it was about three years ago at Silverstone.
Stephen makes a good point about the rules before the race, but i do agree with you Forever, maybe it would make an excellent dessert
Old 16 Apr 2004, 15:42 (Ref:941722)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The Red Arrows and of course, the grid girls parade do make for an ideal appetizer!

Last edited by Mr V; 16 Apr 2004 at 15:43.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 17:55 (Ref:941868)   #21
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Here here for the pit girls. But for pit girls look no further than British Superbikes. In fact pit girls for pudding to.Infact how about Suzi Perry instead of Martin Brundle, a much more appealing site.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 18:13 (Ref:941899)   #22
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It shouldn't be a surprise that the FIA caters to F1. Even if it means under-cutting another FIA sanctioned series. They didn't mind changing rules that would adversely impact Group C, as it benefited F1. A short few years later Group C was gone.

It's always going to be about money and F1 is the big money pit, so it will take priority.

Last edited by jhansen; 16 Apr 2004 at 18:13.
Old 17 Apr 2004, 16:25 (Ref:942681)   #23
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have an video interview of Bernie saying how much he loves TGP. Im surprised he doesnt have it supporting each round. He even has some of his old cars racing in it.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 17:09 (Ref:944392)   #24
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
It shouldn't be a surprise that the FIA caters to F1. Even if it means under-cutting another FIA sanctioned series. They didn't mind changing rules that would adversely impact Group C, as it benefited F1. A short few years later Group C was gone.

It's always going to be about money and F1 is the big money pit, so it will take priority.
I was thinking such uncharitable thoughts too.

I sometimes feel like the FIA only gets involved in other series to make sure it doesn't get 'too much' exposure.

Maybe that's a bit strong, but they - as do most of the manufacturers - seem a bit obsessed with modern F1.

I don't think the TGPs would compete with F1, but maybe it would raise issues that would be uncomfortable for the FIA - like the fact that they look good (and different), race well, and have tobacco sponosrship!