Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 6 Jan 2001, 01:05 (Ref:56456)   #1
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are your opinions on the Paris-Dakar rally? I've heard many say they think the stages in Europe are boring and without relevance to the outcome and therefore should be scratched, but I think this traditional rally should start in Paris (just because it is the Paris-Dakar!) and therefore am glad the European part of the rally was back again this year - hopefully for good!

With that being said, of course the stages in Africa are the meat in the sandwich in this rally. Seeing those bikes and cars making their way through the sand dunes is really something else! I've followed the Dakar rally for many years now, courtesy of Eurosport's coverage. Only half an hour each night, but still without doubt the motorsport highlight of January for me!
Old 6 Jan 2001, 09:10 (Ref:56517)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with R, the Paris-Dakar should start in Paris. Really, it seems obvious doesn't it. Maybe the arguments of the naysayers could be negated by making the European stages more challenging.
Old 6 Jan 2001, 19:13 (Ref:56755)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i am probably ignorant, but what is the point of paris-dakar, is it part of a championship etc
Old 6 Jan 2001, 19:35 (Ref:56775)   #4
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Paris-Dakar... It's an institution. (And yes, it should start in Paris!)

I'm amazed that these boys and girls come back to play year after year, not only because the Paris-Dakar Rally is one of the hardest in the calender, but because of the continual threat of terrorism.
Vehicles are stolen or hijacked, and crews are assaulted and left for dead in one of the most desolate arears of the world. Often, the perpetrators are found, but they're back the following year.

Is this unique? Does this happen (On this scale) in other events?

Just curious...
Old 7 Jan 2001, 10:41 (Ref:56930)   #5
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It should start in Paris, last year's event was just not right starting in Dakar and going to Cairo.

It is definitely a rather unique and odd race.

And it's nice to see Jean-Louis Schlesser doing well now that there are no big Citroens.
Old 7 Jan 2001, 11:17 (Ref:56954)   #6
GURRYP
Racer

GURRYP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder when someone last won a mojor event in acar they designed, built & developed like Schlesser ??
Old 10 Jan 2001, 00:46 (Ref:57748)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard that someone had his foot blown off by a land mine during this race! If this actually did happen, I am sure this is a first.

Can anyone tell me if this happened and is the pilot going to be all right (otherwise, I mean)?
Old 10 Jan 2001, 01:01 (Ref:57752)   #8
Sparky
Veteran

From Autosport.com:

Quote:
The driver of a back-up vehicle in the Paris-Dakar Rally has lost his leg after the car he was driving hit a land mine in Morocco.

Jose Eduardo Ribeiro from Portugal had left the rally’s designated route near a fortified sand wall, in an area on the border with Mauritania. The territory that the rally runs through has been disputed in recent years and has been mined by the Polisario Front, which is seeking independence for the Western Sahara region. The rebels had warned rally organisers in advance not to run through the land.

Event organiser Hubert Auriol said: "A back-up vehicle left the course. Soldiers who were nearby shouted warnings but then immediately they heard the explosion."

Ribeiro was flown to the United Nation’s mission headquarters in the main city of Western Sahara, Layoune. Further details of his condition are not yet known.

The incident casts yet another shadow on the event, which has claimed the lives of a number of its competitors and back-up crews over the years.
I heard a news report that the Rally entering the 'disputed area' was to be taken as a sign of a failure in the ongoing peace between the two sides. The event organisers were reported to say that they couldn't see the problem - it was a sporting event.

This goes beyond the hi-jackings and terrorism of recent years.

But they'll be back next year.

Count on it!
Old 10 Jan 2001, 01:22 (Ref:57758)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll pray for the poor guy. Wow.

Has there ever been a movie made about the Paris-Dakar?
Old 10 Jan 2001, 02:07 (Ref:57766)   #10
Sparky
Veteran

Herbie goes Bananas?

Oh no, that was the Monte Carlo Rally!

I'll find out...
Old 10 Jan 2001, 02:22 (Ref:57768)   #11
Sparky
Veteran

No, Liz. There hasn't.

Write that script now!
Old 10 Jan 2001, 03:18 (Ref:57777)   #12
Liz
Veteran

What a great subject for Gravel Trap Fiction! I bet it'd even turn out better than our Le Mans story of this past summer.
Old 10 Jan 2001, 03:38 (Ref:57778)   #13
Sparky
Veteran

No, I meant a real script, Liz!
It's a race steeped in tradition, with a modern day dilemma.

Big budget, multi-national cast, fast motorsport action, combined with tense border conflict and a touch of 'PopWhizzBang' for the gung-ho types!

We could film on location in Morroco, using specials built by the real teams, think of the exposure to sponsors!
Not only that, there's cars, bikes, trucks... from nearly every nation! This could be a world-wide block buster, appealing to a wide audience!

I suppose there could even be... a (bleugh) love..interest.

It hasn't been made yet, but it will soon!
Quick... where do we get a budget?
Old 10 Jan 2001, 18:20 (Ref:57868)   #14
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparky
I suppose there could even be... a (bleugh) love..interest.
How about Jean-Louis Schlesser and Jutta Kleinschmidt? There seems to be no love lost now between these two who formerly lived together, after Schlesser complained and tried to have Jutta disqualified when she won yesterday's stage. Her win still stands however, from what I can see on several sport websites.

BTW, I don't think the unlucky mr. Ribeiro lost his entire leg when he hit the mine. According to Eurosport.com he lost his left foot, but according to the Swedish commentator on last night's round-up, he "only" lost part of his foot, and certainly had the heel left according to the commentator. Still very sad of course, hitting an object that shouldn't even have been there.
Old 10 Jan 2001, 21:20 (Ref:57911)   #15
jarama
Racer

jarama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTW, hitting an object that shouldn't even have been ANYWHERE
Old 11 Jan 2001, 02:20 (Ref:57950)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Oh, let's leave the love interest out, unless we do it "Bonanza Style" and have the Heroine's Girl blown to bits before the end of the race.

I am astonished that no one has ever made a movie out of the Paris-Dakar.

I see three parallel stories - the Bike Racer, the Young Racer and the World Weary Navigator/Co-Driver - and the Seemingly Evil Rebel Leader Lying in Wait, who turns out to be a crackerjack mechanic and fixes some important whatzit on the Hero Car, after hitching a ride on the Hero Bike to the staging area to bring back Guys with Microphone and a cooler...

World Weary Navigator driving through the night as Young Racer recovers from bad bout of jungle tummy and spills story of life by roadside waiting for Evil Guy to come back with cooler etc. ... WWN stops just before dawn and hands car back to YR with inspirational speech that allows YR to rise above his fugue state and make it across the finish line at Dakar...which he thought was in Tunisia. Good thing he wasn't the navigator, I guess.

Scenes in between of merrymaking, fist fights, Author's Message type declamation by World Weary Guys who tell Young Upstarts the race was harder in the old days etc. and so on.

Good place for musical numbers (must think of sound track sales, after all.) Hire drivers who can sing or play musical instrument, preferably something portable. Preferably not accordian. Violin or flute good, brass instruments best. No guitars. Been done.

Send Craig Pollock out before race to scout for land mines.