Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 May 2007, 06:55 (Ref:1921889)   #101
benjabulle
Racer

benjabulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Nice photos John! Re.the photo of Jodie being interviewed by a TV crew,any idea where and when we might see the TV coverage?
There was a live TV coverage during all the event, they may do a DVD of that.

Other photos here : http://www.gurneyflap.com/gplive2007.html
Old 27 May 2007, 09:52 (Ref:1921954)   #102
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, the Sunbeam in the petrol station is great!

I too saw those Lotus' in the lorry, real shame they didn't get them out, some of my favourite cars from the early 90's (I was only around six years old at the time you see so I didn't see them on the TV!)

The article about the event in Autosport mag is quite interesting, echoing many thoughts here. I did go on the Sunday in the end (I was helped out though, I didn't pay £50!) I certainly wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

Nice to share your photos, you can check out my galleries below:

Friday

Sunday

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 27 May 2007, 10:07 (Ref:1921964)   #103
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 7 - The FIA Historic F1 championship Round 4

Despite a race length of 23 laps, Joachim Folch (Brabham BT49D) felt the need to win this at the first corner from 5th on the grid. Poleman Peter Sowerby (Williams FW07) had too much wheelspin at the start which put him half on the grass. Bahlsen (Arrows A4) behind on row 2 had moved left to take advantage allowing Folch a straight run to the corner. However, Sowerby was regaining the track (he was never completely off it) at this stage and Folch seemed to fail to account for this and moving right sideswiped Sowerby back onto the grass. He then tried an aggressive move up the inside of Bahlsen who was clearly taking the racing line and turning in with the inevitable contact which put the Arrows in the gravel. In the ensuing melee, David Abbott (Ensign N180) and John Wilson (Tyrrell 011) joined Bahlsen in the gravel and the race was redflagged. Of the 5 cars involved, Sowerby's car had steering damage, and Bahlsen's and Wilson's were also too damaged to take the restart.

The race was reduced to 17 starters and 21 laps, and it was Katsuaki Kubota in the twin tub Lotus 88B who emerged in the lead and led for several laps before being inevitably hunted down by Folch who duly took over at the front and went onto win, but perhaps not his finest hour. Kuboka's fine run ended a couple of laps later when the engine blew in a big way. Richard Eyre came 2nd with the FW03 and Aaron Hsu, 3rd in his MP4-1C:-

Steve Hartley was 4th with the Arrows A6:-

Rodrigo Gallego brought the Minardi home 9th:-

Last edited by John Turner; 27 May 2007 at 10:13.
Old 27 May 2007, 10:43 (Ref:1921987)   #104
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffacus
John, the Sunbeam in the petrol station is great!

I too saw those Lotus' in the lorry, real shame they didn't get them out, some of my favourite cars from the early 90's (I was only around six years old at the time you see so I didn't see them on the TV!)

The article about the event in Autosport mag is quite interesting, echoing many thoughts here. I did go on the Sunday in the end (I was helped out though, I didn't pay £50!) I certainly wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

Nice to share your photos, you can check out my galleries below:

Friday

Sunday
Thanks Jamie, and some great images on your site, as indeed on all those links posted on this thread.

I think Kev was pulling his punches a bit in Autosport, and afterall we want this event to improve and provide better value rather than disappear. However, whilst you would expect Richard Morgan to talk up the successes of the event, his comments seem to be pure PR and I really don't think he has fully grasped the concept of what this event is or should be about, even if it was his idea!! Unless, he means that the F1 experience should be based on contemporary F1, in which case I don't see how that can work without the presence of contemporary F1 teams and cars with all the cost that would entail, then it has to be a Historic Race meeting, even if you label it something else. One current year against 85 years of GP history - there's no contest, is there? The comments of Martin Stretton, Steve Allen and Simon Hadfield seem to be far more realistic. At the end of the day, this event wouldn't have even take place but for the very substantial presence of Historic racing teams and cars, and you've only got to read the CVs and interests of the events patrons, Sir Stirling Moss, Tim Parnell and Nick Mason in the event brochure to see that.
Old 27 May 2007, 11:02 (Ref:1922000)   #105
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it should definitely be a meeting based around Historic cars as equally as the modern F1 car. The event could probably do with a few more current stars there too, not to take anything away from Ammermuller, but Mark Webber or DC would have given more interest to the fans, just on the pure fact that these are house hold names. It would have been nice to see Damon Hill demo his '94 Williams too, for example.

Like you say though John, this might invovle bigger costs, but surely a cheaper entrance price would pull in more people.

We need to keep the Historic cars, the impression I took away from the event was a celebration of the Grand Prix car, but was this really the impression I was supposed to take away?

It will be interesting to see what next years event looks like, maybe then it will become a little clearer...

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 27 May 2007, 11:06 (Ref:1922002)   #106
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffacus
We need to keep the Historic cars, the impression I took away from the event was a celebration of the Grand Prix car, but was this really the impression I was supposed to take away?
Yes, mine, too, and if it wasn't, then they missed the target .... whatever that was!
Old 27 May 2007, 17:10 (Ref:1922251)   #107
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think those cars in the transporter were owned by one of the Euroboss competitors.
Old 28 May 2007, 09:29 (Ref:1922600)   #108
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 8 - Euroboss

That surprises me, Allen. Anyway, as they were there, they still should have been on proper display.

Did you get any new pictures or info. to add to your site?

Final race of the weekend. 10 starters; 7 finishers, and therefore way too long at 30mins, the winner doing 31 laps! Knowing that Nigel Greensall was starting from the pitlane in the Benetton B194, Klass Zwart tried to make good his escape from pole. However, with a such a small field to negotiate and in no mood to hang around after a traumatic weekend getting the car raceworthy, Nigel was not about to make a race of it. He simply sliced through the field, and passed Zwart with many laps still remaining and won comfortably by over 11 seconds. They both lapped the rest of the field, and Nigel's fastest lap was 57.697 seconds:-

Henk De Boer failed to finish in the Coloni V8:-

Roger Kiltty finished 6th in the Reynard V8:-
Old 28 May 2007, 09:46 (Ref:1922614)   #109
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Just to finish off, a couple of end of day shots. Despite all our reservations, I don't think anyone could complain about the level of coverage that we have given this meeting!

Old 28 May 2007, 13:28 (Ref:1922854)   #110
benjabulle
Racer

benjabulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done John You even got that 312T4, where did they hide it ?
Old 28 May 2007, 13:40 (Ref:1922863)   #111
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Last edited by gachjoel; 27 Jul 2008 at 20:11.
Old 28 May 2007, 13:45 (Ref:1922866)   #112
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Think the money fans were gonna be charged for this certainly put a lot of people, I was gonna coem up with a mate who is a huge F1 fan til we sw the ticket prices. These people never learn, its why the Champcars didnt work, they try and make a killing in the first event and then wodner why they lose thousands.
Also fans dont give a toss about some two bit former driver being there, they will charge a huge appearance fee and that combined with the costs of the website, advertising and shipping costs for getting the cars there resulted in a totally unrealistic entry fee.
Yet another great idea for an event ruined by over eager and greedy accountants.
Shame on you
Old 28 May 2007, 22:31 (Ref:1923303)   #113
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjabulle
Well done John You even got that 312T4, where did they hide it ?
It was in one of the pitlane garages, with only a side door open. The Scheckter Wolf was also in there parked in front of it.