Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Sep 2000, 19:36 (Ref:39858)   #26
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The statement was said in jest freud, and you know that sincerely.But it looks like youre jus adding to the numerous stories against Michael.
If you watch the Indy GP closely, Schuey was the one who was real close to the wall ALWAYS.
Frenzy and Jacques were keepin quite a distance from it, possibly coz they were lookin at eachother...but Schuey's not scared of walls, ask the Montreal bricks or the Silverstone tyres
and, do Mika and DC say anything about anything??...lol
Old 28 Sep 2000, 19:41 (Ref:39860)   #27
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Freud, I think you have interesting theories, although I'm not that sure about Rosset...

The conclusion of your statements is that Mika is like Senna, while Schumacher is like Prost, taking it "slowly" in the fast corners? Doesn't quite add up though, because Martin Brundle, who you also quoted, once said that he felt TGF was faster than Senna (which I never believed).

He is however very fast, but I think it showed pretty clear from the pictures from Indy that he was not maximizing his speed in the final corner. He was nowhere close to that wall, while someone like Jenson Button practically kissed it.

130R at Suzuka is flat, but only Jacques Villeneuve seems to think so. Will Jenson Button take it flat too?
Old 28 Sep 2000, 19:44 (Ref:39862)   #28
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
Oh! u mean crashing into the wall?
Old 28 Sep 2000, 19:45 (Ref:39863)   #29
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oops, Downforce, I was in the process of writing my previous post when you posted yours. TGF was closest to the wall at Indy??? Man, what race did you watch?!?! He was the one farthest away from it!!!! lol
Old 28 Sep 2000, 19:49 (Ref:39864)   #30
R
Veteran

Downforce, we seem to be writing posts simultaneously. I re-read mine before I post, that's why it's takes a little time... lol. I'm not sure if we're talking Indy or Suzuka here, but nobody crashed at Indy. Hopefully nobody will at Suzuka either, but 130R is flat (just ask Jacques Villeneuve).
Old 28 Sep 2000, 19:50 (Ref:39865)   #31
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
Owww Schumi, u long-chinned chicken!!!
Old 28 Sep 2000, 19:59 (Ref:39866)   #32
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Michael, the modern day Prost?

The two of you can take on each other but jokes aside Schuamcher kept himself comfortably away from the walls.

I agree with you R that Brundle once thought that Schumacher was faster than Senna...but that was in 1993. In his previous articles Brundle has declared that on raw speed Mika is faster. C'mon do you need a proof, watch Mika's pole lap at Imola and how he kissed grass at Aqua Minerali yet took that tenths out to beat Michael. I havent seen a brilliant qualifying lap as that one. Clay Regazzoni, John Watson and Alan Jones think the same.

As far as your thoughts about Michael being like Prost...I agree with you 100%.
Old 28 Sep 2000, 20:14 (Ref:39868)   #33
R
Veteran

I guess we agree then, in terms of raw speed on a pole position lap, Mika is faster than TGF. Brundle's statement about TGF v. Senna in 93 is his opinion, which I disagree with.
Old 28 Sep 2000, 20:46 (Ref:39873)   #34
freud
Veteran

Frank Williams said:

Quote:
Senna was a man whose capabilities and mental fortitude knew no boundaries. In his mind if he decided he'd have to do something he would do it no matter what the price.
When one talks about Senna a word displays prominently in your mind....OBSESSION. Obsession of being the fastest, the most fearless, the most skillfull... With this attitude 130Rs become flatout and Blanchimonts seem like straights. This is the stuff legends(not chickens) are made off.
Old 28 Sep 2000, 23:08 (Ref:39888)   #35
Dhru
Rookie

Dhru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You all seem to be saying that Michael lifts off on flat corners and making his time up on chicanes, but last year or the year before I read something written by Damon Hill after that year's Monoco GP. He (as usual) had crashed out and decided to watch the race from some of the grandstands. He was sitting at one of the corners, and he said that every driver he saw that went passed would lift off slightly as they went around the bend, except Michael and Mika, and everytime around Michael would be "kissing" the barrier. So I don't think that he can be as "chicken" as you say he is. Maybe his setup was different to the others or he left a greater margin of error around the final bend, as it was a completly new circuit to him.
Dhru.
Old 29 Sep 2000, 00:27 (Ref:39896)   #36
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
This thread is getting us nowhere. Don't count your bridges before your chickens are crossed. Quote from Ricky Ricardo.
Old 29 Sep 2000, 07:52 (Ref:39924)   #37
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
we most certainly agree that.......

"I guess we agree then, in terms of raw speed on a pole position lap, Mika is faster than TGF"...in a Mclaren designed by Newey, er....SOMETIMES!!!!...hah!

Michael Schumacher has 7 poles in the 2000 season.

Thoroughbred chicken.
No, Bantam.

"how many ways can you pulla maaaan down, before he conquers all...and yes and how many ways....lol!"
Old 29 Sep 2000, 20:57 (Ref:40075)   #38
freud
Veteran

Isnt it so fashionable to say that Adrain Newey's car is the best even though throughout this season Michael has been shouting that his Ferrari is the best car on grid. I think time has come when we should recognize the amount of effort and money Ferrari spent to make the overall fastest car of the season. Mika has had set-up problems in all GPs along with Engine blow-ups etc etc and overall Ferrari has the best package. Ferrari have dominated the season and no wonder Michael and Rubens were able to give some poles and win races. Rubens could've won more had Ferrari allowed a fair fight between the two and it hurts me that Mika's valuable points were lost fighting with DC. Now mclarens must be cursing themselves for having the "Character" to let their drivers fight each other....Shame!

I dont count the bridges, I count the chickens and I know there's a big one in f1 May be when Montoya will say the same thing in a few months you will realize.
Old 29 Sep 2000, 23:07 (Ref:40125)   #39
R
Veteran

Freud, we agree about criticizing McLaren's strategy as well. In the British and French Grands Prix, DC won with Mika in second. Had McLaren had a clear no.1 strategy like Ferrari, Mika would have won those two races, and would've been equal with TGF on points going into the last two races (but behind in terms of number of victories).

The WDC is really also more a constructors' championship than a drivers' championship. The strategy of the teams concerning team orders plays a very big part. And here TGF has a very big advantage over Mika. If McLaren looses the WDC for not treating Mika like no.1 all season, they will have brought it on themselves really.
Old 30 Sep 2000, 04:55 (Ref:40148)   #40
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
Xcuses, xcuses and more xcuses....sour.
Old 30 Sep 2000, 08:02 (Ref:40157)   #41
R
Veteran

Yes, Downforce, I agree, for the McLaren team this is not a good excuse, and that's my point. If TGF takes the WDC because of McLaren's bad strategy, it'll be their own fault, and TGF will deserve the title.
Old 30 Sep 2000, 10:24 (Ref:40169)   #42
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is it that the "chicken" always turns out to be the most commited in dangerous situations. In the rain, where visiblity is suddenly reduced, who has the most confidence to pull away from the pack, and in Monaco where walls are ever present, who has the confidence to skim those walls. Now combine these two dangerous situations and we have a wet race at Monaco. And I think our "chicken" was lapping 3 seconds a lap faster in this scenario. Also, is that "chicken" the same chicken who Brundle says is the best at cutting through traffic. OH SORRRY, I got confused, that is the very brave Mika who takes 5 laps to pass a Minardi. Finally, isnt it that same "chicken" who outqualified the very courageous and brave Mika at Indy.
Old 30 Sep 2000, 12:56 (Ref:40186)   #43
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
The difference is Neutral, that we "chicken" fans still regard the "chicken" as a mere mortal who says evryday-things that mortals say, whereas the "vegetarians" or anti-poultry people hang onto every word or rather evry "cheep" to start the bashing threads!

btw, spot on the Monaco bit!
Old 30 Sep 2000, 13:15 (Ref:40192)   #44
freud
Veteran

Gosh, I love those beef steaks
Old 1 Oct 2000, 00:34 (Ref:40256)   #45
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Lets face it guys, this was a tongue in cheek remark by TGF. When we see the F1 drivers racing in really wet conditions, with the cars aquaplaning at certain places on teh circuit, none of them can really be described in any serious context as chickens, honestly more like ducks .