Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jun 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1631643)   #1
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boring Boring Boring

While F1 may be the pinnacle of motorsport technology it certainly is not the pinnacle or motorsport RACING!!!

Todays race was boring... most of the drivers are boring, the commentary was boring... and now we see Alonso trying to copy Rossi with his post-race celebration!!!

The only good thing about todays racing was the GP2 sprint race.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1631647)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And your point is?
Old 11 Jun 2006, 13:53 (Ref:1631654)   #3
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I do not think it was boring. We have seen a number of change in placings, eventhough there were no overtakings on track, worth to mention.

Alson, yes, he is in a class of his own, but he as closely followed by Raikonnen and MS. Then, there were Montoya & Heidfield, JV taking Rosberg's point, in the last stint of the race, Reubens going down to 10th and fisichella and Rosberg finishing at a narrow gap from Raikonnen and JV repsectively.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 14:00 (Ref:1631658)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltafan
I do not think it was boring. We have seen a number of change in placings, eventhough there were no overtakings on track, worth to mention.

Alson, yes, he is in a class of his own, but he as closely followed by Raikonnen and MS. Then, there were Montoya & Heidfield, JV taking Rosberg's point, in the last stint of the race, Reubens going down to 10th and fisichella and Rosberg finishing at a narrow gap from Raikonnen and JV repsectively.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1631660)   #5
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Would have been better had MS had to pass Raikkonen on track, rather than on pit strategy. Which is perhaps the biggest enemy of actual racing.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 14:07 (Ref:1631662)   #6
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well actually, he tried, and they were lucky to remain on track, both of them. It was sooo close.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 14:12 (Ref:1631664)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8rirl
While F1 may be the pinnacle of motorsport technology it certainly is not the pinnacle or motorsport RACING!!!

I think you've just about stated the reason why it was so boring. Everyone is too good, there are too many computers and programmes to work out whats happening.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1631665)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It wasn't too bad, was always quite tense to see how the order would finish, but some on-track overtaking would've been nice. The important of aerodynamics and lack of braking zones often make SIlverstone quite hard to pass on.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 14:25 (Ref:1631675)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
But we do see passing there sometimes.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 14:41 (Ref:1631683)   #10
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, the first lap was sort of exciting.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 14:44 (Ref:1631685)   #11
chrisp2006
Racer

chrisp2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People always say it is boring after every race but there is no-one forcing anyone to watch it. Those who decide to watch it know that it could be a great race or a not- so good race. Regardless of what happens it is still interesting for those people who watch it as fans of F1 . If this was Button winning people would change their tune.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 14:48 (Ref:1631689)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm,

Depends where you come from, substitute Button for Webber in Oz etc. But your point is well made. Trouble is the Silverstone effect is that of speed. It is an awesome track but we don't get that impression from a camera and we never will.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 14:55 (Ref:1631693)   #13
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well I spared myself by turning off the race after the first round of stops.
I was scared i might drift into a coma if i watched the whole thing....
Old 11 Jun 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1631697)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It was quite tedious after the first few laps, in fact it was positively boring.

I would not be happy if I had paid £100 to watch that.

I think part of the problem was that the TV director spent a lot of time unnecessarily following Alonso all on his own. There weren't any battles to speak of, but we had Klien and Fisi in places where 2 cars were quite close, yet the director chose not to show these.

The sooner the 2008 regs come in, the better.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1631700)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp2006
People always say it is boring after every race but there is no-one forcing anyone to watch it. Those who decide to watch it know that it could be a great race or a not- so good race. Regardless of what happens it is still interesting for those people who watch it as fans of F1 . If this was Button winning people would change their tune.
If Button had won it instead of Alonso I would still say it was a borefest.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 15:09 (Ref:1631704)   #16
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I found it a very good way to catch up on last nights lost sleep, who won?
Old 11 Jun 2006, 15:17 (Ref:1631711)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
While F1 may be the pinnacle of motorsport technology
it isn't anymore LMP1 is and will be at least until 2009
Old 11 Jun 2006, 15:25 (Ref:1631716)   #18
cmifsud
Racer

Australia
Australia
cmifsud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was worse than San Marino, and there is another one and a half years before anything changes. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 11 Jun 2006, 15:30 (Ref:1631720)   #19
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
The sooner the 2008 regs come in, the better.
You're joking, right? The races have become dull mainly due the current FIA-policy. The two-event engines, post-qualifying parc fermé-regulations, reintroduction of refuelling, introduction of the flat-trapped bottom, ban on slicks, the raise of the front wing; all examples of measures which have harmed the racing.

And from 2008 it will only become worse.

Last edited by Pingguest; 11 Jun 2006 at 15:33.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 15:30 (Ref:1631721)   #20
cmifsud
Racer

Australia
Australia
cmifsud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was worse than San Marino. Worse still is that we've got one and a half years before anything changes. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. What we need is a big thunder cloud and deluge of rain over F1 races, because it is the only thing to save the rest of the season from being a total bore.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 15:35 (Ref:1631724)   #21
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wasn't expecting a class race, to be honest.

There's still some good tracks left to go, there will be better races this season.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 16:08 (Ref:1631746)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8rirl

Todays race was boring... most of the drivers are boring, the commentary was boring... and now we see Alonso trying to copy Rossi with his post-race celebration!!!

The only good thing about todays racing was the GP2 sprint race.
Oh, everything looks boring when the World Cup is happening...
Old 11 Jun 2006, 16:13 (Ref:1631749)   #23
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Would have been better had MS had to pass Raikkonen on track, rather than on pit strategy. Which is perhaps the biggest enemy of actual racing.
In the case of a track like Silverstone, I think that the aerodynamics are the biggest enemy of racing. It's nigh on impossible to get close enough to pass.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1631756)   #24
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was boring...so was imola, so was spain, even Monaco was a bit tedious this year. I don't know what the reason is and these days I'm not even interested enough to really ask why.

For me these days F1 is something I have on in the background while I read the paper, and if I hear James Allen start maniacally screaming then I look up at the screen.

I don't post much here these days either as it's rare that one of the thread subjects get me sufficiently interested to read further..no offence to any other poster.

I am sure the next post will be.."well you don't have to watch it or post here" which is true, but I am kind of intrigued as to how I can go from being an absolute fanatic to a casual viewer in the space of about 2 years.

Sorry guys, I know this comes across as a whinging post with no real point to make, but I do feel F1 has lost some crucial, watchable "x factor" recently, and I don't know what that is..overtaking probably....
Old 11 Jun 2006, 16:32 (Ref:1631762)   #25
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Come on guys, it wasn't that bad..
There was some action at the Beginining, with Webber, and R.Schumacher